Sea World's Sea Viper closes after 32 years

Parkz News

Well we've seen a lot of such items sold in recent years at lot sales.

But you're not gonna sell scrap metal and there isn't much more too it than that

Well specifically - the item I was enquiring about wasn't scrap metal, was easily removed and wasn't likely to be something needed by a future purchaser, as it was specific to the name theme of the ride. If you have a good memory - I asked for a photo of it in this thread a few pages back.

If you don't - it's the rubber step tread with the SV logo on the side wall of the train next to every seat. Ideally the ones in the front seat to match the spot we rode for our wedding.

This was the actual response:

Sea Viper certainly provided our guests with many happy memories during its 32 year lifespan. Unfortunately, we are unable to honour your request for a souvenir from the ride as all parts of our equipment are part of our asset register, and we cannot divest singular items to be given away or sold. Sorry we cannot assist you with this. We do hope to see you at Sea World again in the future perhaps to ride our latest Storm Coaster.

Do you really think so? I'd hate to wait and have the train shipped off before I got a chance to ask again...

I really hope so. Casey is quite upset SV has closed as it was her favourite (and one of her first), which is why we had it on our wedding day.

At this point i'm just thankful it was operating that day... and we had three photographers (and an on ride camera) to capture it!

I couldn't go on the corkscrew when I first visited seaworld when I was 7.but 11 years later I made a trip back and had a blast riding it, not once bur 3 times with my then boyfriend. I have not been on the sea viper but I'm sad to see it go. it was my first triple looped roller coaster and I will miss it forever. hopefully they build another roller coaster in place

I'm not seeing much rust or corrosion in those photos - especially considering its age and location. When the paint peels off the Sydney Harbour Bridge all you see is rust through and through, and yet Sea Viper is apparently being pulled down 'cause it's in bad shape (slight age difference, I know)

GGB - there is a lot less to do with rust, and a lot more to do with structural integrity. It's been said a few times that cracks had been identified in the track, and last overhaul they were x-raying the track and doing all sorts of things.

Yes the corrosive environment would not have helped, but I don't think "rust" is the issue that has been cited.

Do you really think so? I'd hate to wait and have the train shipped off before I got a chance to ask again...

I really hope so. Casey is quite upset SV has closed as it was her favourite (and one of her first), which is why we had it on our wedding day.

At this point i'm just thankful it was operating that day... and we had three photographers (and an on ride camera) to capture it!

Rainbows End across the Tasman really needs the old Kumbak train on their identical Corkscrew roller coaster,

As for a replacement, a roller coaster would do the job. I would definitely not like to see another animal exhibit.

I couldn't go on the corkscrew when I first visited seaworld when I was 7.but 11 years later I made a trip back and had a blast riding it, not once bur 3 times with my then boyfriend. I have not been on the sea viper but I'm sad to see it go. it was my first triple looped roller coaster and I will miss it forever. hopefully they build another roller coaster in place.

Cool memory.

The ride will be gone within 2 weeks at this rate. Otherwise, they must be keeping those two corkscrews for some sort of display?

Otherwise, a photo:

10269416_684646491616962_507858062711485

(Source: The Theme Park Social Network)

That curve won't be around for much longer.

The curves gone now.

More demolition photos:

16682_685978054817139_896440783932432596

10502509_685978074817137_554069906888424

Interesting GC Bulletin news article:

10599381_685643048183973_607601500690807

Sad to see. Excited to see what replaces it, hope its not an animal attraction.

GCI woodie anybody?

It is interesting to see something is being done with the bridge, Sea Viper's rapid removal is one thing but that is another. I could see Sea Viper's rapid removal as being so not to have such a large object that is visible from near everywhere in the park being SBNO.

Here is a digital copy of that GCB article, according to the local rag (Bulletin) the new train arrived in 2005!

post-2212-0-28358200-1407664260_thumb.pn

Edited by Jordan M.

Correct, $20 million is the correct figure as announced by VRTP (Storm Coast Press Release). They don't clarify what that covers in the press release but I figure it may include the removal of BT.

Storm Coaster is the first combination water flume boat ride and roller coaster in Australia - just like two rides in one! At $20 million Storm Coaster is also believed to be the largest single investment in a theme park ride in Australia and Sea World believes it’s worth every cent.