Movie world Maintenance 2022

Smol bean

5 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Superman is reasonably reliable, I rarely hear it ever being shut outside of its annual maintenance period. It also helps that the ride is small in scale compared to the other installs so there's less things to work on.

West obviously faces the problem of being harder to maintain as it gets older - it's a very common problem with flumes. Concrete doesn't last forever.

Scooby has the one of a kind elevator, but otherwise it's a very simple ride system that should rarely be down. Perhaps the elevator is getting on in years?

From an ex operator POV. Superman is actually very reliable 99% of the time. West was also very reliable too but this was all prior to the refurbs. As far as Scooby goes, 90% of the time the faults causing a ride stop were not due to the lift. It was often either the turntable or a delay in the load or unload station causing a backup in the ride which would then cause a cascade stop. If a cascade is starting you will see a "must send" light start flashing on the load panel, and it's often why you may suddenly see staff send several empty cars around before loading guests again to try and clear the backlog before the ride has a meltdown.

9 out of 10 times a cascade is recoverable if operators act fast enough... otherwise it becomes leg day for the operators haha.

• Like 2

On 24/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, Ashley said:

Hi @Spotty

You’d be the best one to ask to question to. Which ride in park is most reliable?

Also, which ride is, ( in your opinion) easiest to operate?

Cheers.

Scooby was actually a very easy ride to operate as a cast member. But it was one of the last rides staff learnt due to the complex evacuations. Wild West Falls was the most intensive due to the constant walking up and down the load platform. I was trained on Superman, Scooby, West, Batwing, Lethal Weapon / Arkham, Batman, Tunes Ride and Kids Rides / RoadRunner Roller Coaster before leaving in 2013.

At that point I'd say the most reliable major ride was honestly Wild West Falls, Batwing and Superman. Before the Arkham conversion it would have hands down been Lethal Weapon. As far as ease goes I was only an attendant (not the one sitting behind the main control panel) most of the time. So from that POV batwing was very easy (but also incredibly boring), followed by Superman, Scooby and Wild West Falls.

As a supervisor they were all very easy honestly until things go wrong, then each of them have their quirks. Scooby is the most full on by far for trying to reset faults to avoid an evacuation. Followed probably by West. If superman decides it's going to fault, generally we just let it do it's thing as it's not as intense to evacuate compared to Scooby / West.

Certainly had the most fun IMO working on Lethal and Superman (apart from Tunes and Bat Ride before closure)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Thanks, @Spotty, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

In all honesty you could talk to me for 10hrs straight about what it was like being a cast member, and I wouldn’t be bored.
And come to think of it I could probably ask 10hrs worth of questions, lol.

Always happy for questions, and always happy to answer (where possible and not breaking NDA's etc). Feel free to shoot me a PM I guess

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ashley said:

Thanks, again.

I’d love to shoot you a PM, however, I don’t want to be annoying or rude.

Being asked 101 questions can be annoying.

Feel free to :) I may not answer all in one go but I will if possible. It's mostly I don't want to get Parkz in trouble as in the past when people have said things about certain behind the scenes things it caused friction, I'd rather not cause those kinds of issues for them haha.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Feel free to :) I may not answer all in one go but I will if possible. It's mostly I don't want to get Parkz in trouble as in the past when people have said things about certain behind the scenes things it caused friction, I'd rather not cause those kinds of issues for them haha.

Thanks again, I’ll PM you tomorrow if I get the chance. If not tomorrow then sometime this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but there have been stories on the news the last two days regarding a lot of rides being closed and huge wait times at MW. There haven't been any closures listed on the website so not sure what's going on there. As for crowds... its still school holidays in multiple states, crowds are expected!

Still, not very good publicity for the park. 

https://fb.watch/f-7qXB0ecF/

I had heard this was happening a bit this week. 

As long as people keep paying, I can't see much changing. This is pretty much the same narrative we heard for the easter holidays 6 months ago... people need to vote with their wallets.

I do think part of the issue is most people view MW by it's prior reputation, and nobody is checking reviews on the current park operations prior to planning a trip.

I recently returned from Singapore (i'll post a TR when I get around to it) and had big expectations from USS, but I was quite disappointed at a lot of aspects of the park - and i'll admit I made the same mistake - I expected it to be just as it was on my last visit and I was quite shocked to say the least.

• Like 1

I will say that article appears to be in the holidays where the park was smashed (expected considering it is school holidays.)

DCR and Superman have both had two trains on, Green Lantern opened early and the line was moving very fast like normal, so i don’t think it is as bad as other school holidays within the past year. However, with Rivals valleying, Scooby’s guest caused accident and over issues, WWF having issues and other rides having normal breakdowns, it makes sense as to why guests are pissed.

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

But, long queue times need to be expected to certain degree, as it is holidays. I remember going to DW during holidays and waiting 90 minutes for TRRR.

Exactly, it’s not the most blind blowing concept that the parks will be busies during the school holidays, you can’t go expecting crowds of a mid term school day, if you get that then it’s a pleasant surprised.

Like Dreamworld (prior accident) queues were insane, HWSW opening year spiralled halfway down the staircase, TOT all the way out of the skull to the entrance sign, MDMC all filled sprawling out. People shouldn’t be so shocked 

Been reading some recent reviews about MW, the reviews I’ve read, people were either just saying long wait times or wait times of about 2hrs. As I said in my earlier post, wait times of that nature during school holidays is pretty normal, before the DW disaster queue times during holidays could be at least they long. I really don’t know what people are expecting, it’s school holidays. Sure MW could and should work on there speed, but otherwise there is nothing they can really do, apart from closing the park when it gets too busy, but then you’d have people complaining about that.

Thing is I've been to parks overseas on peak summer days and for me it still should be no more than an hour.... maybe 90 mins if its absolutely rammed, and even then a 90 min queue would only be one some rides, on a handful of days per year.

If a park is getting 2 hour queues outside , it needs more capacity or it needs to stay open much longer.

The park gets exceptionally busy. We arrived at 7am, an hour prior to opening and the entry plaza was already full. It really is important to get in early so you can get a fastpass and a first ride with a shorter wait. Because of the crowds, the park has generous opening hours. You can pretty much ride most things in one day, but you have to keep in mind you'll probably only ride everything once, and you'll have a handful of 90+ waits peppered in.

• Like 1

Tbh, I think the thing is that MW doesn’t have enough supporting  attractions to cover the demand the park gets as Australia’s premier theme/amusement park. If you go to a six flags or cedar fair park in the summer, the varying types of flats and older coasters support the leftover demand that the bigger coasters can’t handle, as do the smaller fantasy land dark rides and spinners for your space mountain and jungle cruise at the Disney parks around the world. At MW,  you only have 2 adult flats (which I think is a major problem when it comes to crowds) and every other ride outside of Kid’s WB is a major attraction in it’s respected ride type for the park, unless you count Green lantern, which I still think is a big ride for MW. I’m not saying crowds shouldn’t be expected, and I think the article is silly considering the crowds aren’t any bigger than the previous holidays this year, but adding one or two thrilling flat rides would really help clear congestion for this park.

45 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Thing is I've been to parks overseas on peak summer days and for me it still should be no more than an hour.... maybe 90 mins if its absolutely rammed, and even then a 90 min queue would only be one some rides, on a handful of days per year.

For some reason it's now common practice for GC parks to schedule maintenance during holiday periods.  In the good old days this never happened, and the parks were never stupid enough to put themselves into the position, MW found itself in.

20 minutes ago, Natti_amusements said:

Tbh, I think the thing is that MW doesn’t have enough supporting  attractions to cover the demand the park gets as Australia’s premier theme/amusement park. If you go to a six flags or cedar fair park in the summer, the varying types of flats and older coasters support the leftover demand that the bigger coasters can’t handle, as do the smaller fantasy land dark rides and spinners for your space mountain and jungle cruise at the Disney parks around the world. At MW,  you only have 2 adult flats (which I think is a major problem when it comes to crowds) and every other ride outside of Kid’s WB is a major attraction in it’s respected ride type for the park, unless you count Green lantern, which I still think is a big ride for MW. I’m not saying crowds shouldn’t be expected, and I think the article is silly considering the crowds aren’t any bigger than the previous holidays this year, but adding one or two thrilling flat rides would really help clear congestion for this park.

I agree. 

I also think when the new wizard of oz precinct is finished it will go a long way to help the queue situations. If you rewind a few years back when Arkham was still around, if you went to the park on a weekday and not school holidays typically everything was walk on. It hasn’t been like that since covid now though. 

• Slick locked this topic