Gumbuya World 2 coasters under construction

DaptoFunlandGuy

5 minutes ago, jack.c said:

I’m hoping they invest into something huge next! 

I would LOVE these to come over the next few years:

Outback Explorers/Oz Adventure

• Carousel (cheap, only a few 100k)
  • Droptower (similar to Giant Drop at Dreamworld, maybe even call it Giant Drop 2 if they can get rights)
  • Plane Flyer
  • Roller Coaster (similar to SE, DCR and ST)

Oasis Springs

• Funnel tube ride
  • Toilet bowl ride 
  • 2 AquaLoops like W&W

I have added up costs and it would most likely cost $50-80 million, which is similar to what they have spent previously. Once they do that they will definitely be up to GC standard.

15 minutes ago, TBoy said:

Droptower (similar to Giant Drop at Dreamworld, maybe even call it Giant Drop 2 if they can get rights)

I will say this could possibly be the worst ride name i’ve ever heard.

I can’t see them adding new rides straight away, maybe a family expansion in a year or two, but their next coaster probably won’t be till 2026 at the earliest, a Vekoma Launch similar to Formula at Energylandia would be a great fit. 

I’d love for them to replace Rebel with a permanent Intamin Gyro Swing (or same ride type just a permanent instillation to make it look less of a travelling ride.)

13 minutes ago, TBoy said:

I would LOVE these to come over the next few years:

Outback Explorers/Oz Adventure

• Carousel (cheap, only a few 100k)
  • Droptower (similar to Giant Drop at Dreamworld, maybe even call it Giant Drop 2 if they can get rights)
  • Plane Flyer
  • Roller Coaster (similar to SE, DCR and ST)

Oasis Springs

• Funnel tube ride
  • Toilet bowl ride 
  • 2 AquaLoops like W&W

I have added up costs and it would most likely cost $50-80 million, which is similar to what they have spent previously. Once they do that they will definitely be up to GC standard.

I think we all need to be very realistic. I really commend Gumbuya and their investors for all of the investment they have put into the park since buying Gumbuya Park 6/7 years ago, but they aren't silly, they know that the Victorian weather is very fickle and even with amazing attractions very few people will go to the park between late April and September. People think Melbourne's weather is cold, take another couple of degrees off in Western Gippsland. So like the other Victorian parks they will rely on mass crowds over summer to keep them afloat

If anything I believe the park needs some indoor attractions to deal with the cold Victorian winters. 

16 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I will say this could possibly be the worst ride name i’ve ever heard.

Sorry, it wasn't a name for a ride btw.

I reckon the Carousel, Toilet Bowl and Funnel Tube rides would be most likely to come soon, as the former is fairly cheap and Funfields/Adventure Park has one of them with the former planning to have both a toilet bowl and funnel tube ride.

Also unlikely, but I also feel like Rebel and Mining Race Coaster should go under a "revamp" with them both replaced by a Intamin Gyro Swing (like you said) and a Vekoma family coaster 335 (same one for RR at MW) Keep the same theming, but different rides. Tree Swing, TNT, Project Zero and Rush Hour should remain the same. Oz Adventure I feel like needs new rides as there isn't really much, and the current ones (excluding TNT/PZ) look like a travelling fair.

The new coaster should come in 2025-2026, as it is a perfect opportunity as many people from Melbourne would drive straight past it during the 2026 Commonwealth Games, as many events will be held in Gippsland. And remember Gumbuya have plenty of space to put rides on with 287ha, unlike Dreamworld with 54ha.

Edited by TBoy

12 hours ago, themagician said:

I’m hoping the park has invested into Project Zero, to ensure they’ve rectified all the issues Dreamworld were having with the attraction.

Apparently the ride only cost 750k. I would assume some of the $40 million spent would go toward fixing all of the issues Buzzsaw had. Also I can expect it to be closed less often than DW based on other rides at GW.

Edited by TBoy
accidentally posted the same thing three times

1 minute ago, jjuttp said:

Like having nobody in the queue or not being the extended model?

I mean the maintenance issues, for example being under maintenance for 6 months. Unfortunately the extended model isn't happening but I reckon lots will be in the queue as Gumbuya doesn't have TOT2/GD etc.

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Australia has too many of this type of ride.

I agree i was just saying if they are going to have one, they might as well put in a permanent one as it would fit in a lot more (also would have a lot better capacity, the current versions capacity looks shocking.) maybe an S&S screamin swing or something like this would work well.

Edited by Rivals

The new Gumbuya World additions (TNT & PZ) alone really surprised and gave me faith in the park's leadership team, and I really don't know when they'd be willing to spend that amount of cash again, although I guess we could expect a new addition by the time the commonwealth games come to Vic. 

Personally, I think the Oz Adventures and the kid's zone should where investment is put, just because of the fact that the other VIC parks seem to be putting money into their waterparks a lot more compared to dry rides, and that is an area where Gumbuya could shine compared to FF and AP. 

Personally I think the next Decade or so of investments should include:

- 1 or 2 new kids rides in an Outback Explorers expansion

- New adult flat maybe a Larson Drop Tower.

- New slide/ slide tower

- Another adult coaster to round things out. A smaller scale vekoma would work, even RMC raptor looks to be something Gumbuya would go for.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Natti_amusements said:

Personally, I think the Oz Adventures and the kid's zone should where investment is put

It's a very good point. After these coasters have opened it will mean that Oz Adventure will have 3 coasters, tree swing, rush hour and the Rebel but poor old Outback Explorers will still (except for the tea cups) only have recycled flat kids rides from the Gumbuya Park days. I mean when the park reopened in 2017 it was obvious that OE was an afterthought....I mean the Trucks from Gerry's Roadhouse used to be play equipment outside of the Cafe before Gumbuya Park closed up in early 2017

For Outback Explorers to be extended they can only extend backwards by knocking down the fence and redeveloping land that used to be used for Gumbuya Park rides pre 2017..

Which brings me to my next point, if they do that why not refurbish the Toboggan Run? Its all still there and would need a complete overhaul to bring it up to current safety standards (the run currently is concrete and people coming off was a regular occurrence). But its a ride that would be very popular with older guests as they would reconnect with their childhoods in the 70's and 80's, also it would be a cheap ride to refurbish and would be cheap to maintain, it was also the highest capacity ride at Gumbuya Park and also would give people another reason to take the trip to West Gippsland opposed to Funfields. More importantly Gumbuya mentioned on their socials a couple of years ago that they would like to bring it back in some form. So I believe this is a strong possibility. 

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

(also would have a lot better capacity, the current versions capacity looks shocking.)

Is that really a problem though? 

Basically any spin and spew ride at an Australian park never gets a queue anyway, and more often than not you're actually waiting to round up enough people to ride it. Probably has the 'right' amount of capacity lol.

If a park is going to invest in rides, I'd probably do more crowd favourites than trying to make something like Rebel 'perfect'.

Edited by Gazza

1 minute ago, Gazza said:

Is that really a problem though? 

Basically any spin and spew ride at an Australian park never gets a queue anyway, and more often than not you're actually waiting to round up enough people to ride it. Probably has the 'right' amount of capacity lol.

If a park is going to invest in rides, I'd probably do more crowd favourites than trying to make something like Rebel 'perfect'.

The only spin & spew that could constantly draw a crowd was the Wipeout.  In all its life, I never had a walk-on.

21 minutes ago, aussiethemeparker said:

Which brings me to my next point, if they do that why not refurbish the Toboggan Run? Its all still there

This seems like a reasonable idea, and it's not like other parks don't have it with. Is it still there? Interesting. Unfortunately, the way Gumbuya is going is to be like Dreamworld and I don't think they would think the toboggan is a good fit for the park since it became a theme park. The only way I could see it come back is the track being removed and replaced with a toboggan coaster.

47 minutes ago, aussiethemeparker said:

Which brings me to my next point, if they do that why not refurbish the Toboggan Run? Its all still there and would need a complete overhaul to bring it up to current safety standards (the run currently is concrete and people coming off was a regular occurrence). But its a ride that would be very popular with older guests as they would reconnect with their childhoods in the 70's and 80's, also it would be a cheap ride to refurbish and would be cheap to maintain,

I think you are definitely on the right track here. Absolutely reopen and refurbish the Tobiggan Run but I would also install an Alpine Coaster as well —that could easily interact on the same footprint. Australia does not currently have one ( there is one being built at The Big Banana Coffs Harbour and there is at least one other planned) These would be high profile crowd pleasing additions but also more importantly they would be relatively low cost and easy to maintain. Would be an absolute awesome dual family attraction to have. 

57 minutes ago, Jobe said:

I would also install an Alpine Coaster as well

Ye I think that would be a good fit for Gumbuya, a coaster that the whole family could enjoy. I did an apline coaster when I was in Tennessee near Dollywood, and they are very smooth and fun. It would also mean the park would have a kiddie coaster in mine coaster, a family one in TNT, a thrilling coaster being PZ, and a coaster the whole family could enjoy in an alpine coaster.

2 hours ago, TBoy said:

This seems like a reasonable idea, and it's not like other parks don't have it with. Is it still there? Interesting. Unfortunately, the way Gumbuya is going is to be like Dreamworld and I don't think they would think the toboggan is a good fit for the park since it became a theme park. The only way I could see it come back is the track being removed and replaced with a toboggan coaster.

It was still there a couple of years ago when I did a tractor tour of the rear of the property. Very overgrown and Kangaroos grazing around it but still usable land on a hill.

I do realise that people are starting to compare Gumbuya to Gold Coast parks and that's great, but Gumbuya is still and will be a regional theme park and being in Victoria the park will always be more seasonal so I very much doubt that they can continue to invest so heavily in big ticket attractions like TNT and Project Zero in the future. The investors have deep pockets but they will need to see a return on investment. Imho they will be a bit more frugal in their future additions, hence why I think a reopening of the Toboggan run in the future is a distinct possibility.

Just to give you an idea of ticket price. Entry into Gumbuya after December 23rd will be $78 single day entry, and $199 for a season pass which is only valid September school holidays until Easter school holidays. Also take into account that Waterpark and Rides are only open school holidays, weekends and weekdays in December. So that $199 only gets you access to about 125 days of year compared to 364 days at the Gold Coast parks. Future high investment means prices would need to increase.....do you think people will continue to accept prices higher than Gold Coast parks? There would be a point where people just say no.

For the next few years I would do this:

PHASE 4 (Summer 2024-2025):

1. Gumbuya Resort. In the Herald Sun article back in Page 5, apparently Gumbuya wanted to build accommodation close to the park. This would have many benefits, such as visitors to Gippsland who are going to Phillip Island the next day etc. can stay at the resort. I would also add-on free tickets to Gumbuya World as part of your stay.

2. $15 million expansion to Oasis Springs. I feel like Gumbuya needs an expansion to Oasis Springs to compete with FF/AP, so I would suggest these rides: 

• “Cyclone” Funnel Slide
  • ”Down the Drain” Bowl slide
  • “Twin Tubes” 2 AquaLoop Slides.

All 4 slides would be connected, like how Taipan/Boomerang are on the one platform etc.

PHASE 5 (Summer 2025-2026, one year gap due to Commonwealth Games)

1. Carousel, also named as “Gumbo’s Great Carousel” The ride would be located in Outback Explorers, and have 36 horses. It would also be a VERY cheap ride, with ones on Alibaba only being up to 77k AUD for a 36-seat one.

2. Droptower, named “Nature Drop” The ride would be a S&S SpaceShot that reaches 61m high, with 4Gs. It would be the same as Movie World’s Batwing SpaceShot. It would cost $5 million.

3. Plane Flier, similar to Tail Spin at Dreamworld. It would reach a height of 22m, and allow the guests to control how they fly, like at Dreamworld with Tail Spin. It would cost $2.5 million.

4. Forest Flythrough. A 40m height, 1km long coaster. It would be designed by Mack Rides and have the Blue Flier theme. It would be like Steel Taipan at Dreamworld, without the backwards part. It would also use either the new space the park has or the former toboggan area. The ride would be the most expensive, costing $30 million (less than ST due to no backwards part, no switching and no spinning seat.)

WDYT?

Edited by TBoy

25 minutes ago, TBoy said:

4. Forest Flythrough. A 40m height, 1km long coaster. It would be designed by Mack Rides and have the Blue Flier theme. It would be like Steel Taipan at Dreamworld, without the backwards part. It would also use either the new space the park has or the former toboggan area. The ride would be the most expensive, costing $30 million (less than ST due to no backwards part, no switching and no spinning seat.)

Good plan except for this part. I don’t think the park would suit a giant Mack roller coaster especially a close clone of one that’s already in Australia. This would also mean all of the parks major coasters are clones, a Vekoma coaster like Fønix or Formula would work much better at this park and give them a good, standout custom coaster.

Also, throw in 1-2 more kids rides for the outback explorers section to round it out completely.

Edited by Rivals

• rappa locked this topic