The Giant Drop Refurbishment 2022

7 hours ago, red dragin said:

Wasn't there the usual carry on on here a while ago about running Steel Taipan for an upcharge during the night markets? 

Yes - the big point of difference is 'opening them at night to a non-admission paying public' is different to 'opening them at night for a specific, ticketed event'.

I think they dropped the 'scream' name to avoid negative connotations. It's probably wise to avoid other references including 'lights out at dreamworld'. Regular, random, non-event-specific night events would be cool but i think they need to restore day trade a bit more before that should be a priority. Moonlight Markets are doing a great job of getting people used to coming to the park at night so I think it's only a matter of time before we see them start to expand their offering to include the park attractions at least in some part (and they've already started with Flyer)

And they’ve proven with their Happy Halloween event that the night events are extremely popular with the park. But because they have the night markets, it isn’t as simple to add a random Park After Dark event whenever they want now. Last year, the night markets didn’t happen for the entire month of October due to Halloween. So if they wanted to do a Park After Dark again, it would probably have to be announced months in advance.

If they are really doing good, you COULD run the night markets but require guests to have a Happy Halloween ticket (in the form of a wristband) to leave the Central plaza area? Feel like you'd need like 4 points with temporary barriers with a couple of staff at each to police it, plus one staff out the front of ST checking for wristbands to ride?

Am I over simplifying it?

1 hour ago, joz said:

If they are really doing good, you COULD run the night markets but require guests to have a Happy Halloween ticket (in the form of a wristband) to leave the Central plaza area? Feel like you'd need like 4 points with temporary barriers with a couple of staff at each to police it, plus one staff out the front of ST checking for wristbands to ride?

While different being summer period and the parks open during the day? What about night market at WWW when Dreamworld has night events? Set up around the wave pool? Just a thought?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joz said:

I had the same thought process, but then I thought that people would probably still find a way to sneak from the markets into the Halloween and would the park really want to merge them both. Maybe they can, but the markets become part of the Halloween ticketed event and to enter the park for the markets you have to have purchased a Halloween ticket

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2023 at 12:32 AM, Brad2912 said:

IMG_5344.jpeg

Someone gonna tell them it's "Storeys" ?

I went along to the launch party on friday night. The park put on some canapes and a few free drinks. Greg made a bit of a speech thanking those involved (and a few in-jokes lost on the general public in attendance) and then they counted down the re-opening by lighting up the letters on the tower. 

The park also opened up Steel Taipan for those in attendance, probably realising that it would take quite some time to cycle through ~200+ guests with only one GD gondola (west) operating.

Night rides on both were awesome, but it highlighted the dreadful navigation in the park right now - arguably the two most thrilling rides in the park are isolated down what are effectively two thrill ride dead-ends, both of which require you come all the way back to main street to switch between the two. 

Now that GD has reopened, i'd like to see them prioritise some sort of path connection between Taipan and GD - even if it's just the pathway down behind first aid and the ice cream shop - it'd still bring those two attractions a little closer together.

The park has put a nice chill space in the shadow of the GD - some astroturf and a few cushioned seats - something needed in this area for non riders to wait comfortably. 

Overall, the ride station looks fresh and the colour scheme looks good. The queue itself is a little underwhelming, with only the sign on the wall as shown above. The plain walls and nothing else to occupy riders for what is likely to be a one-gondola operation most times makes me worry for the gyprock walls and how quickly they'll get carved up by bored teens.

It was suggested that there is more to come for this area - and I hope that whatever has delayed this from arriving prior to the relaunch arrives soon.

44 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

I mean surely there’s some kind of approval/spell checking process before signage is sent to print right… SMH

I think the issue with that is that the person providing the proof probably didn't know the difference.

Even mainstream media (people whose entire job it is to write words) get things badly wrong, or 'write how it sounds' with things like "they could of.." instead of "they could have".

Looks great. I love that they are tidying up the area around GD too.  Like @DaptoFunlandGuy said it really would be great if it was connected to ST.  

I find the “storeys” measurement annoying. Like what does that even mean? Also it’s the measurement that gives the smallest number. 390 feet seems more impressive. but it’s a pretty stupid nit pick. Just personal preference. Haha. I Would much rather have Meters or feet. Or both! 

Edited by REGIE

Also just read the sign, tallest free-falling ride in Australia. Why not just 'Tallest Ride'. Why make the claim smaller?

Also it's 119 meters tall, not 119meters high.

Also the 'length' of a high rise. Surely it's the height of a high rise?

Omg ok so what is actually going on with that sign?

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, joz said:

Also just read the sign, tallest free-falling ride in Australia. Why not just 'Tallest Ride'. Why make the claim smaller?

Also it's 119 meters tall, not 119meters high.

Also the 'length' of a high rise. Surely it's the height of a high rise?

Omg ok so what is actually going on with that sign?

Exactly.  It’s a very odd sign.  They forgot how to use grammar and they minimised their own records. What theme park wants to do that?  

32 minutes ago, joz said:

Wait really

To my brain 39 storeys is harder to imagine then 390 ft. 

35 minutes ago, themagician said:

They do show the metres

Ah didn’t see that. That’s good. Never mind my last comment then, my mistake. 

8 minutes ago, REGIE said:

To my brain 39 storeys is harder to imagine then 390 ft

Half a Q1 or 54 Shaq’s stacked on top of each other….

11 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Someone gonna tell them it's "Storeys" ?

Maybe the printer is an American bloke or they have their spell check set to English (US)?

American English is story, and stories. 
Not correct here where we use British English, but given how American spelling & phrasing is continually seeping into mainstream language here, it’s not surprising