Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

When I rode it today, pre-show started once harnesses were locked. Queues were slow, but only two loops of people around the central funnel thingy so not busy either. 

First time ever riding it. The story/theme suits that ride perfectly, it's really well told. The 'cave paintings' in the circular queue set up what's coming. And f*ck that coaster is full on. Definitely how I'd imagine trying to ride a sea monster might be. I regret not buying a pass when it first opened now. 

I hope both major parks exceed that level of story telling with their new rides this year. 

Yeah that’s new, when it first opened the pre show if I’m remembering it right would play when the load process started. That’s one very long dispatch cycle then if they are waiting to play the pre show after the restraints are locked. 

The station pre show is awesome but I don’t think it’s a good thing in terms of throughput. Hopefully for Oz the pre show is not in the station (or if it is, is a bit shorter), but im not holding my breath

Edited by Baconjack

More concept art has been posted. Unsure how legit it is, but the poster seems to have done stuff for Village (Float mockups), DW (the Rivertown art, and maybe some DWF stuff), Taronga (Reptile & Amphibian Conservation Centre concept art), & others.

IMG_7216.thumb.jpeg.244a2b9461758f1d2582e4ae7a57f04f.jpeg

(Source)

Edit: Definitely recommend checking out the page above, upon closer look they seem to have a lot of concept art for old AUS park/zoo plans. If they’re legit, there’s some good stuff there.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 4
  • Love it! 1

17 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Yeah that’s new, when it first opened the pre show if I’m remembering it right would play when the load process started. That’s one very long dispatch cycle then if they are waiting to play the pre show after the restraints are locked.

May have started during the lock check process, we were second last row, I was definitely seated and harness across. 

I was watching the queue length and it was holding steady at about the same length. Throughput was definitely low, but it also was a Monday. 

23 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

More concept art has been posted. Unsure how legit it is, but the poster seems to have done stuff for Village (Float mockups), DW (the Rivertown art, and maybe some DWF stuff), Taronga (Reptile & Amphibian Conservation Centre concept art), & others.

If this is true, then this looks amazing. Better than I expected. Looks to be up to standard with the big chains (Universal/Disney). I am very happy both Village and Coast are starting to get into the immersive land business.

One thing I hope will happen is the Scooby elevator gets painted over, it will be weird seeing a land with very immersive theming and there is a white rectangle in the middle of it.

Edited by TBoy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TBoy said:

If this is true, then this looks amazing. Better than I expected. Looks to be up to standard with the big chains (Universal/Disney). I am very happy both Village and Coast are starting to get into the immersive land business.

One thing I hope will happen is the Scooby elevator gets painted over, it will be weird seeing a land with very immersive theming and there is a white rectangle in the middle of it.

Considering from the art they're covering the back of Superman Escape, covering Scooby is likely.

11 hours ago, TBoy said:

Remember it's only concept art. 

What they designed:

image.thumb.png.046abd784014cc0200efd908bfbb56f4.png

What we got:

No description available.No description available.

Take a look at the original leviathan art and what we got too. 

As for Scooby, while I would assume they intend to wrap scooby somehow, remember - it's still a "movie studio \ movie set" themed park, which is why white sheds are "themed" if you give them a stage number, so Oz could leave Scooby as is and just call it a set.

15 hours ago, Tricoart said:

(Source)

So this confirms that the main entrance will be as you walk past superman. Walking through DC land to get to wizard of oz is going to be quite jarring (as will be that giant rainbow you will see heading into the final brakes on superman, but I digress)

Complete missed opportunity to re use the Chinatown corridor on Main Street imo

33 minutes ago, New display name said:

This doesn't confirm anything. The Architect/Artist who produced the drawings mentions on a lot of his work, "the concept sketches are purely idea generators and not what may be the final outcome".

True, it’s more than likely that it is official concept art, just a very early iteration of it. Like, for example, the art they did for Rivertown is the first art that was released, the one with a nonsensical ride layout that went over the water (in the version they posted, it wasn’t even called Rivertown, the entrance sign was different & read ‘Riverside’ instead). In that case, Dreamworld seems to have commissioned them to do the art, but not for it to be an exact replica of what’s to be constructed, just to get the vibe down & have references for what it could look like.

Edited by Tricoart

17 hours ago, TBoy said:

At least some of the elevator is getting replaced along with Scooby's track, and the shed and elevator are the same structure, so it is possible that section of the building might be pulled apart for access/installation when the time comes. 

I doubt they will paint or wrap the entire height of the tower, although if the main entrance is from Superman, it would be a very impressive visual if they did.

28 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

I doubt they will paint or wrap the entire height of the tower, although if the main entrance is from Superman, it would be a very impressive visual if they did.

The Parkz Update: Doomsday Destroyer ride construction at Movie World, May  2016 | Parkz - Theme ParksThe Parkz Update: Doomsday Destroyer ride construction at Movie World, May  2016 | Parkz - Theme Parks

I see no reason to think they wouldn't theme it, TBH - but absent park confirmation we just have to wait and see. It's what you're facing as you enter the land, AND they saw fit to theme the superman sidewall according to the concepts, so I think it's probably likely we'll see something over scooby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themagician said:

IMG_2254.jpeg

With all that bush near superman, does the ride take place in smallville rather than metropolis these days?

it’s like they have purposefully ignored to integrate the land into dc land and left it to stick out as a sore thumb because it’s too hard to move a few churros and drink bottle carts to someplace else.

10 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

With all that bush near superman, does the ride take place in smallville rather than metropolis these days?

I’m assuming this entrance is at the red line and the rainbow will be between the red and blue line. Which means that this land begins at where the Superman Escape ‘land’ ends. And therefore I guess they are seeing it as there isn’t a clash. Comparing it to how Arkham Asylum entry was placed and how the theme blended, there definitely was a clash. 

IMG_2261.thumb.jpeg.63b4299cd66a6d6b789179b013e51373.jpeg
No matter how they (Village) are looking at it, I still think the smarter and better entry point should’ve been off Main Street using the former Lethal Weapon entrance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I’m assuming this entrance is at the red line and the rainbow will be between the red and blue line. Which means that this land begins at where the Superman Escape ‘land’ ends. And therefore I guess they are seeing it as there isn’t a clash. Comparing it to how Arkham Asylum entry was placed and how the theme blended, there definitely was a clash. 

IMG_2261.thumb.jpeg.63b4299cd66a6d6b789179b013e51373.jpeg
No matter how they (Village) are looking at it, I still think the smarter and better entry point should’ve been off Main Street using the former Lethal Weapon entrance.

I think you're pretty close to being right. Missing from the artist's render is the giant blue roller coaster columns looming in front of the entrance too. 

It looks like they're trailing the yellow brick road out beyond your red line too. I wonder how far they plan to go with that? The cornfield in this drawing is essentially lining the final brake run - are they going to shield superman brake run? otherwise W - T - F.

With Superman and Batwing closed, the best way to view the construction site is now to turn around on DCR’s lift (or, if you’re not able to, ride it backwards). Doing so, I can (obviously without photos) confirm the SFC has it’s dark grey supports for the turnaround closest to Arkham’s facade installed, and 1 section of track is onsite.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, themagician said:

@Tricoart my guess would be from the pedestrian bridge to cross the creek to get over to Topgolf. 

I thought that too, but I walked that a week ago & couldn’t really see any good angles from there. That may be ‘cause I was stuck with a phone camera that has no zoom, however.