"Significant" new attractions to be announced at Dreamworld

24 minutes ago, themagician said:

These kind of facts don’t mean anything to the GP though. Rivals had a lot of firsts if you want to brake it down, but all that really matters is height, speed, gforce, launches (if applicable) and specifically unique elements (like backwards/spinning seats)

This is kind of where I'm at. I feel most Australian's spending habits are driven by a sense of value in favour to them, and plopping down a giant roller coaster made people feel like they're getting a good deal. 

This is the hurdle that Dreamworld needs to jump, and I feel they're doing a decent job for those that come through the gate, but they need to improve their external presence to actually get people through the gate in first place. 

5 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

This is kind of where I'm at. I feel most Australian's spending habits are driven by a sense of value in favour to them, and plopping down a giant roller coaster made people feel like they're getting a good deal. 

This is the hurdle that Dreamworld needs to jump, and I feel they're doing a decent job for those that come through the gate, but they need to improve their external presence to actually get people through the gate in first place. 

Ideally, it becomes our own little Australian Coaster War.

I've said this before but I really enjoy GL, purely for how slow it goes through the elements and just lets you hang.

As an aside, the easiest way to not be compared to Rivals, get an Aussie first is get a 'gimmick' coaster, like Flying, Wing, Stand Up, Free Spin, 4D, Dive ect.

Hybrid, although cool, won't work. To us the difference is massive, to the GP, its not as noticeable, or easy to market.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Naazon said:

I've said this before but I really enjoy GL, purely for how slow it goes through the elements and just lets you hang.

As an aside, the easiest way to not be compared to Rivals, get an Aussie first is get a 'gimmick' coaster, like Flying, Wing, Stand Up, Free Spin, 4D, Dive ect.

Hybrid, although cool, won't work. To us the difference is massive, to the GP, its not as noticeable, or easy to market.

Green Lantern's a good little coaster, until the final brake run tries breaking a few of your ribs when it stops.

As for an RMC hybrid, out of all the problems there are with Dreamworld getting one, them not being gimmicky enough isn't one of them IMO. So long as it's presented well, and it utilises it's structure in the layout (headchoppers), if anything it'll be seen as a much taller, longer, faster, more intense and fun Leviathan. The whole reason RMC blew up is because they're relatively cheap (at least as conversions), and easy to market as a unique experience. Which, ofc, has somewhat died down in the US, but is far from it everywhere else, especially here.

Edited by Tricoart

17 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

RMC’s have been pretty solid since they fixed the lift hill of Lightning rod - as far as I know. 

Gwazi/Untamed/Zandra have been fine once they paid the bill and opened. 

Programming of Gwazi is rubbish but they can fix that here 

The only one I know enough about is Iron Gwazi, but they had to slow the lift hill on it post-opening as it was running faster than designed, they didn't do proper/enough clearance testing so particularly tall people were smacking their hands on the wave turn near the station building, build quality on things like their trains are said to have remained subpar, and loose articles still remain a particular issue on them due to being so aggressive (but that's more of a park thing, not an RMC thing). Their main issue of structural problems seem to have been mostly alleviated by now, but it's also worth mentioning that RMC semi-recently had a switch of lead designer and CEO, so who knows what the future holds.

Edited by Tricoart

The talk over there is that RMC did have a few Clangers which affected their reputation. But as mentioned they have had a bit of a restructure and are slowly restoring the street cred after learning from some of the earlier mistakes.

The El Toro incident is an interesting one. As indicators  seem to point towards poor track maintenance more than anything else. 

El Toro's been pretty issue-prone recently, with the derailment last year as well (which was an Intamin problem with the design of the Prefab's track IIRC, so not RMC). If I'm not mistaken, though, after it was reopened, weren't there multiple complaints that the reinforcement they'd added to prevent future derailments made the ride noticeably rougher? It's unknown what the issue was yet, but workers have been seen inspecting the track after the accident, and there's been people saying there was a major pothole near the Rolling Thunder hill (someone even said there was a 'bang' on that section when they rode it a couple days before the accident). Depsite that, some are saying the incident was in the station, making it a block zone thing, whilst others are saying it derailed again, so there are many conflicting reports. I think the most accurate thing currently is that 12-14 people were injured, and out of that, 4-5 were hospitalised.

Edited by Tricoart

11 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Did you hear that big giant whoosh?

800.jpg

Yeah ik, just saying that some reports state the incident happened in the station, which would mean it was a collision of some kind. Glad to see there's another ETR fan here, though.

Edited by Tricoart

TIL!

So they didn't design El Toro or the cross bars (which APPARANTLY is the issue with the Intamin Woodies) or anything else, they just built it the way Intamin told them too? Which would leave it in a limbo of if it's a design issue, manufacturing issue or maintenance issue. I doubt we'll ever know for sure but gee it's an interesting question.

Edited by joz

RMC’s do look good but there is a couple issues from what i’ve heard.

The main issue i’ve heard is the trains; the lap bars are apparently very hard and bulky with nothing to actually hold onto, which when mixed with RMC’s aggressive airtime pops makes for an uncomfortable ride experience.

I also heard this about the Single Rails which are supposedly not as bad, the issue is more with the straps.

There are also issues with certain rides like Lightning Rod and TC, a lot of times parts have been recalled causing the ride to be down, it’s happened to WWGLC, RB, ST and JDC at least 2 times in the year and a bit.

Imo if the new team can fix these issues I could see Dreamworld adding an RMC, but with its current track record maybe it isn’t the best option even if the rides themselves do look amazing.

B&M, Mack and Vekoma are the main coaster manufactures i can see them working with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coasterjoe said:

On the topic, I wonder what will be El Toros fate? Will RMC Hybrid it? Surely its far too popular of a ride to scrap it 

My guess would be either get Intamin back in, full complete retract and structural replacement if places need it and new trains, kinda like what happen with colossus as Heidi Park, if not maybe RMC wood track replacing all the old track.

Did they? That would be interesting to know if true. 

Of it did, was it mechanical failure or electrical?

Also worth noting that RMC don’t do control systems (like with most manufacturers). Six Flags do all their own in house. Other rides are by various companies. 

52 minutes ago, rappa said:

Did they? That would be interesting to know if true. 

Of it did, was it mechanical failure or electrical?

Also worth noting that RMC don’t do control systems (like with most manufacturers). Six Flags do all their own in house. Other rides are by various companies. 

RMC designed the brakes on SV and after many cycles the brakes would no longer have enough force to bring the train to a complete stop.  The trains would slowly roll through the brake run and bump into the train in the next block.  OTHER problems SV had is the middle block was temporary deactivated because if the train was stopped it would vally out.  When the coaster first opened it was reduced to 1 train operations because of the problems.  After SV opened RMC spent many months reinforcing the track because durring operations cables, bolts & timber supports would snap.  It was not uncommon for the ride to open late because the damage was being repaired from the day before.