The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

18 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Well I wasn't going to mention it but it would work pretty well there - rather than the arcadic method of getting everyone to stand on a footprint.

Unfortunately, you still need a cast member there, because you're merging standby, fasttrack and backwards rows, two of which need to be validated. So adding it would just be an extra expense for no actual benefit.

16 hours ago, Slick said:

Pre-ride videos fit into a swiss-cheese model of risk and attraction inefficiency mitigators. No one should ever expect one voice-over or one video to capture 100% of everyone's attention. Instead, when you pair it thoughtfully with other things (clear signage, human-centric physical design etc.) what you get is hopefully a situation where ride operators need only assist a few guests with each ride cycle and don't need to be shouting information at everyone in a passive aggressive tone (something our parks do extremely well, IMO.)

That's it right there. There's a reason Disney's queues work so well too - they bring riders into the load zone for the final switchback, so while you're waiting, you're watching how everyone loads into the vehicles etc, and hearing the operators if they need to spiel - seeing it happen means you know what to do (monkey see). Leviathan's whole system doesn't allow for this (even letting one group in ahead doesn't give enough repetition for it to solidify in everyones mind).

5 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Idealy they should release the next group of riders (with one train already waiting at the airgates) into the tunnel when the train reaches the FBR. This will allow for enough time (at the current speed) for the next train observe the previous train boarding and putting their bags in the bins. 

How would observing the group before them board help, though? The operators'd still need to inform all groups of the same things, all it'd do is mean everyone hears the briefing 4 times instead of 2, and maybe help a guest on the off-chance that they're confused about where to go after hearing said briefing 4 times, but were intently watching the group before them whilst they boarded.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

How would observing the group before them board help, though?

It’s the aforementioned Swiss Cheese. The stations for Gold Coaster, Steel Taipan, Rivals, Scooby Doo and Green Lantern are specifically designed to allow guests to see the loading procedure.

19 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:
1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

Monkey see - monkey do. 

This. 

Wait are you guys saying that an open tin shed station with no theming but easy visibility with a screen playing a tinny safety video in the corner would be preferred over leviathan’s station??  No wonder DW can’t be bothered to put effort in to what they are doing.  The original concern was shouting ruining the atmosphere and theme. Now we are saying remove the themeing and have the TV’s play a safety video instead of the leviathan video would stop the staff shouting you you can enjoy immersion of a safety video and watching other people load in front of you. 

Edited by REGIE

10 hours ago, REGIE said:

Wait are you guys saying that an open tin shed station with no theming but easy visibility with a screen playing a tinny safety video in the corner would be preferred over leviathan’s station??  No wonder DW can’t be bothered to put effort in to what they are doing.  The original concern was shouting ruining the atmosphere and theme. Now we are saying remove the themeing and have the TV’s play a safety video instead of the leviathan video would stop the staff shouting you you can enjoy immersion of a safety video and watching other people load in front of you. 

I mean, i think you just made all that up.

48 minutes ago, Naazon said:

No.

All that needs to be said...

Buuuuuut here we go anyway -

The discussion had reached the point of saying - make the stationhouse large so that the load procedures are visible to the last switchback. Nowhere there did anyone say 'open shed' or 'no theming'. Also nobody said put a tinny safety video in the corner. 

650154971_SMint.thumb.JPG.bd4bb869db02c87711390a07f0a04900.JPG

Here is an example of the 'large visual station' concept we've mentioned.

And, here is a few examples of the videos and how they fit into the queue \ ride.

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 9:13 PM, REGIE said:

I highly exaggerated.    

You're making a habit of this.

Be very careful excusing yourself as 'it was just a joke' though. It's very difficult to tell the difference in a forum that lacks tone and inflection, and if every time your long rambling reply gets called out you respond 'i was joking' you're just going to torch any level of credibility. 

People will never take you seriously.

it's all good mate. I'm not an angel. i've pissed off my share of people here and i've taken a few hits with the mods over the years. 

My only advice is to be genuine with folks, and don't try to hard to impress people, as it is likely to backfire. 

All of us were once you. ;) 

• Like 1

These same monkeys seem to have a lot of trouble on water slide tubes even though they have watched people in front of them do it. 

ar WNW the other day I realised how much of the wait times is just people not understanding how to sit in the tubes despite on most the slides it’s easy to watch the people in front load.

Edited by REGIE

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

How long til they do something about Trident? It’s been the webpage as under maintenance for at least a week now - it’s cycle takes ages and is regularly closed for high winds 

it was open Monday for a night event and was operating all day Tuesday. it may just be having some issues currently like Leviathan did (which is now operating very consistently).

Flew down from Darwin yesterday to visit village parks this week, and did SeaWorld today. Leviathan was great, pacing and airtime were top notch for this part of the world. The ride’s station and queue were well done, as was the presentation of the rest of the area. Can gladly say it is one of the best coasters in the country.

As for the operations, I think this was the area’s, tbh the whole park’s biggest letdown. Levi went down once today (not including an added thunder warning closing all the rides) trident broke at least twice from what I could tell, and Jet Rescue was down for unscheduled maintenance. We hear about bad operations from village a lot on this forum but I didn’t actually realise that it was such a frequent occurrence. 

Glad to have come down tho, great area/coaster and I’m glad that SeaWorld has another two rides as part of its lineup.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The ops somehow got worse for my trip this weekend. 

Instead of the grouper being able to count - by hand or with a counter or some other device that could count for people, so now you get shouted at even earlier!

"Put your hand up if you have an empty foot print next to you" 

closely followed by orders to walk through the door when it opens.. because there's not even text on the door to say "wait here til this door opens.. or anything"

I'm convinced the current setup wasn't plan A. Seems dumb for you to be let into the little area before the door.. just to stand there for a bit then get let in through the door .. walk quickly though the most themed walkway in the park, then get shouted at once you get to the platform to stand behind the white line. 

Also the cycles were taking so long to dispatch (over 5 minutes, sometimes up to 😎 that the whole preshow video ran out and the room fell into mostly silence.

They should put screens here

IMG_6328.thumb.jpeg.9c6ac2488f311500cb71c03c607101c3.jpeg

IMG_6329.thumb.jpeg.3ec64d4f464f47d741bc7cb0f1807f5d.jpeg

With the same vibe Jet Rescue has (which is 15 years old) - then when the door opens it just shows directions to walk through the door. 

Anyway I've said it before and I've never seen anything different.. the ops are so stupid. They were releasing guests out of the train to put their footware in the lockers.. and everyone had to wait for that to happen. There's no instructions that you need to keep your shoes on so I don't really blame guetss when there's absolutely no rider breifing. 

Also just let them ride without footware.. the chances of being evacuated are really low, and you can just take their footware to them if you need to evacuate (same as they do on Rivals). 

VRTP - please find ways to mitigate ride operators shouting at guests.

5 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

VRTP - please find ways to mitigate ride operators shouting at guests.

I've pondered this, noting that DW seems to have a PA on every ride that the ride OP in the control booth uses.

At MW, is it the 'more authentic' set experience to be yelled at (akin to a megaphone) and VRTP has just cloned this to SeaWorld?

I'm on the phone a lot for work, and often by the end of the day my voice is done just from talking, I couldn't yell like the ride ops do all day long.

• Like 1