Wet n Wild SurfRider taken off website

Natti_amusements

Surely I can't be the only one irked by the idea that VR would just take an old, existing flat ride (it's not a coaster, RCDB), nonchalantly shoehorn it into a tight space, and completely disrupt the aesthetic of the Superman area? It's going to look clunky, clash with the area and take away from that iconic skyline. It reminds me of the awful and cluttered RollerCoaster Tycoon parks I used to make when I was a kid twenty years ago.

Why couldn't they incorporate this into, say, the Wizard of Oz area? Theme it to the cyclone that sweeps Dorothy up and into Oz, or plonk it at the front of the park on the opposite side of Green Lantern, or behind the Showcase building (finally completing the loop the back of the park always needed)... There's a myriad of smarter, more logistical areas you could locate the ride to give it its own space, identity and theming. If it's being ham-fisted into the Superman area (and all indicators are pointing to it), I'm sorry, but that's just lazy and half-arsed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

disrupt the aesthetic of the Superman area?

Yeah because being bordered on 2 sides by white sheds is so aesthetic. The exposed white gravel adds so much to the aesthetic feel of the park.

Why couldn't they incorporate this into, say, the Wizard of Oz area? Theme it to the cyclone that sweeps Dorothy up and into Oz

That's a really good idea! I think a shuttle coaster themed to the storm would be a good idea; kind of like being blown around by the storm. I think you could improve the idea by making it a family coaster. Maybe even dueling family boomerangs for a bit of extra capacity, particularly as the IP skews young.

If it's being ham-fisted into the Superman area

Yeah look it makes zero sense adding a ride with a small footprint into a small area that they've had their eye on to add a ride to for a very long time. They should do what you said and put this filler attraction out behind a building in the middle of nowhere, since as we learned from Doomsday, spread out filler is such a good idea.

Boo! Hiss!

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

Please.

You're entitled to disagree, but at least bring substance without the snark masquerading as faux-elitism.

Notice how I specifically said aesthetic with respect to Superman, not theming? I never claimed the area itself had a strong "theme". I'm referring to the aesthetic, or the visual impact, of the ride itself. Hell, the empty space could be used to incorporate some extra tunnels/head-choppers that could enhance SE's ride experience.

22 minutes ago, joz said:

Maybe even dueling family boomerangs for a bit of extra capacity, particularly as the IP skews young.

Do you have some insider scoop about the Family Boomerangs' name and theming we're not aware of?

22 minutes ago, joz said:

spread out filler

Spread out? The entire footprint of the park is a five-minute stroll. With WWF situated further at the back of the park and still pulling 45-minute plus queues during peak seasons, I doubt location is Doomsday's only problem.

The relocation spots I mentioned were not an exhaustive list. There's room to move Surfrider to any of mulitple areas around the park, without disrupting or detracting from the Superman area.

• Love it! 1

5 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I was even mildly bummed out that Batwing wasn't built in the helix back in the day.

I agree, would've been good for a "Superman vs. Batman" kind of thing. I feel like there could be a better place Surfrider is relocated (WoO would be great) but I guess it is all but confirmed it will go there.

6 minutes ago, Gazza said:

IDK what anyone else thinks, but I have wanted MW to put a ride in the middle of the helix literally since Superman was first built.

I was even mildly bummed out that Batwing wasn't built in the helix back in the day.

I too often thought that the biggest let down to Superman Escape as a ride is that both the helix area and the courtyard are incredibly visually unappealing. I'm totally okay with white sheds (it's a movie park, totally buy that) but to go from Main Street with its beautiful fountain area that's adorned with immaculate garden-beds and manicured landscaping to a drab smoker's area and a few basic pathways left me feeling wanting more. The pathway to Lethal Weapon back in its day from Main Street had some real charm, Wild West Falls still has a great deal of charm, Superman Escape though has always had real Six Flags vibes from the outside.

If finally putting the ride in this area gives the park the justification to beautify both rides in one hit and make this a pleasant area to be in then i'm super all for it.

Edited by Slick

2 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

(it's not a coaster, RCDB)

I don't get everyone's big deal with it being considered a coaster. It's literally a multi-launch shuttle coaster with spinning seats. It's just as much of a coaster as an Intamin Impulse or a Vekoma Big Air.

Anyway, without digging that stupid pointless semantic argument up again, I really disagree with your argument about aesthetics. SE's most significant aesthetic impact from the outside is the top hat from Main Street. This isn't going to disrupt that at all. The only thing I can possibly think you must mean is that the view of the train going around the helix will be disrupted from the path outside the entrance, but really, you're only going to get closer vantage points when the queue and ride area for SR opens, as well as added interaction beyond a flat patch of white gravel.

I can't see how it would ruin the aesthetics from an on-ride perspective either. It's not like SE had a closed-off precinct and seeing other rides will ruin the immersion of the story. You've always had a clear view of Main Street, Batwing and big white sheds during the ride. If anything, this will only make the helix more interesting with potential interactions with ride structure and buildings. I doubt anything will get close enough to be considered a head-chopper, but surely you can't be arguing that the white gravel patch is better?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

faux-elitism

Whatever chance you had at being right died a quick and sudden death with that. For all I know you're Clark and secretly you're unhappy with the placement but your hands are tied and this is how you vent. It's unlikely, but arguing elitism is both untrue and irrelevant. Also see earlier when I said Slick's thoughts on sending SR to SW were incorrect if you think it's a moderator thing.

7 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

Do you have some insider scoop about the Family Boomerangs' name and theming we're not aware of?

By insider scoop do you mean the publicly available concept art of family coasters with what looks to be a farm theme then sure! Or maybe it's themed to where Dorothy meets scarecrow. Possible, but the more obvious answer tends to be the correct one.

11 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

With WWF situated further at the back of the park and still pulling 45-minute plus queues

WWF isn't filler, so that's kind if a non argument about filler rides in far flung corners.

12 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

The relocation spots I mentioned were not an exhaustive list.

The thing is the ones you did mention have their own problems. That'll be true of anywhere. I think a small ride in a spot where only a small ride can go makes a crazy amount of sense. I'm slightly strawmanning here, but your argument almost seems to come down to 'I'm not used to seeing it there so I don't like it'

1 hour ago, New display name said:

The only thing sexy about Superman is the view of the top hat from main street.

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

I have wanted MW to put a ride in the middle of the helix literally since Superman was first built

QFT

How do we feel this will affect the operations of each attraction? Superman is already very strict about loose articles but I imagine liability will skyrocket when you put people in a queue inside the footprint requiring even more stringent loose article policies that might slow things down even more. I'd imagine this could also lead to that area becoming nets galore to catch anything that might possibly fly off whilst the ride is in motion.

Given how strict superman is, I see no reason to worry. We've heard from @Noxegon that not even tissues are permitted. 

I think we should see netting installed under the track that guests walk underneath which is a sensible precaution, but you can get closer to Jet Rescue, Road Runner and Superman Track (near the show building) much closer than you'll be close to the track in the helix. If you look at the fencing, there is currently a double fence so even if you get in those first gates, theres another fence before the helix. The overhead track right at the front of the helix is the only issue, and a net is a sensible addition. no other changes will be needed.

You can also walk under/next to the launch which is.. you know the fast part.

image.png.e3a76496b1d93b1b121a4f157a980d58.png

Without getting hopes up, any chances the water spray and or pool of water it sits in will make a return?

This has likely been on MWs plans for a little while now too, whats peoples thoughts on any potential theme elements they could be bringing along, if any.

21 minutes ago, Gazza said:

You can already walk under several sections of Superman though?

Absolutely right, I completely ignored the rest of that when I replied. thanks for the correction.

1 minute ago, Naazon said:

You can also walk under/next to the launch which is.. you know the fast part.

The section under the launch is entirely covered by a metal roof. So, there's that.

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

This has likely been on MWs plans for a little while now too, whats peoples thoughts on any potential theme elements they could be bringing along, if any.

Without knowing the sort of budget they’re allocating to the relocation my gut feel is this is going to be closer to Green Lantern than Leviathan in terms of theming. I hope I’m wrong though!

3 hours ago, joz said:

Whatever chance you had at being right died a quick and sudden death with that.

I find it curious that this was what you took the most umbrage with. If you don't like being called an elitist, don't act like one. Your standing as a moderator is a moot point; isn't it telling that you're the one who brought it up, not me?

3 hours ago, joz said:

WWF isn't filler, so that's kind if a non argument about filler rides in far flung corners.

3 hours ago, joz said:

The thing is the ones you did mention have their own problems. That'll be true of anywhere. I think a small ride in a spot where only a small ride can go makes a crazy amount of sense. I'm slightly strawmanning here, but your argument almost seems to come down to 'I'm not used to seeing it there so I don't like it'

There's always ambiguity in what constitutes a "filler" ride i.e. is Sledgehammer the "filler" for Big Dipper at LPS? Anyway, the point was that if you're relocating a ride to a park with a small footprint, there's better options where you can give the ride its own space with a cohesive theme. Why not out the front, on the other side of GL, like I suggested? It gives the ride great visibility from the entrance, but is still sectioned off for it to have its own themed queue and station.

3 hours ago, jhunt2 said:

This isn't going to disrupt that at all.

Placed as it will be, Surfrider would be disruptive. It apexes around the 90-ft mark, and if it's given a paint job that doesn't match SE's scheme, it will look cluttered. It would be better situated further back, where the smoking area currently is. There was some back-and-forth earlier about that, but really it's not hard to siphon off another corner nearby, plant a couple of ashtrays and call it a day. It's not a zero-sum game.

As I said before, shoehorning a small flat ride into the middle of a coaster is clunky. It may help in some capacity to ease the pressure on Superman's queue, but it's still not a big people-eater. You're adding more foot traffic to the area, and until the Oz precinct opens, that could be an issue.

Given there's multiple options for where it could go, I just don't see at all how this is the best one.

• Love it! 3

5 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

As I said before, shoehorning a small flat ride into the middle of a coaster is clunky. It may help in some capacity to ease the pressure on Superman's queue, but it's still not a big people-eater. You're adding more foot traffic to the area, and until the Oz precinct opens, that could be an issue.

Since your skyline point is based on complete speculation, I'm not going to engage with it too much further. You're outraged over SR cluttering SE's skyline when you yourself admit that it would only look cluttered if the colour scheme doesn't fit with SE. We haven't even got rumours in terms of theme or colours yet, so let's wait and see?

I also really don't think it's going to clutter much at all. I don't know how much you ever visited WnW, but SR isn't really a striking part of the skyline. It only has two spikes that reach its rather minimal apex, meaning it covers very little "surface area" of the overall skyline and would still be dominated by SE's top hat from the Main Street side at least.

As for this point about foot traffic, how is this adding more foot traffic to the area? The entrance to AA was through this area for years, and that's now gone. SR will draw nowhere near the ridership of AA, so I'd expect there will still be less foot traffic through this area than pre-2019. Aside from the smokers' area, there's no other reason to walk around there unless you're riding one of those two rides. That's not going to be an issue whatsoever as far as I can see, and I'd expect the area to only open up further once Oz opens.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jhunt2 said:

Since your skyline point is based on complete speculation, I'm not going to engage with it too much further. You're outraged over SR cluttering SE's skyline when you yourself admit that it would only look cluttered if the colour scheme doesn't fit with SE. We haven't even got rumours in terms of theme or colours yet, so let's wait and see?

Also it's blue, like beautiful blue QLD Summer Sky blue. If blue clashes with red so much then that really sucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CR4ZE said:

I find it curious that this was what you took the most umbrage with

I find it curious that I responded to the first thing you said first, and you took that to mean that was the bit I was upset at? It's kind of telling that you call me an elitist, I deny it on the grounds I don't know who you are, you could be someone very important for all I know, and ALSO mention that it can't be a moderator thing, and you've somehow used that as evidence. It's all pretty telling TBH

4 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

there's better options where you can give the ride its own space with a cohesive theme. Why not out the front, on the other side of GL, like I suggested?

Do you really think plonking out the front is giving it a cohesive theme? I can almost guarantee you put it out the front you'd get a round of 'Great another carpark coaster' Also in your mind how would you even access that? Do you knock down the toilet block/photo center or stars or none of these or all of these? 

Like you haven't really made much of a case for why your ideas are better, it's that they're just different. You're irked because in your mind two rides with clash and that you know the smart thing they could have done but then failed to identify the smarter thing. 

40 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

There's always ambiguity in what constitutes a "filler" ride i.e. is Sledgehammer the "filler" for Big Dipper at LPS?

See this is actually an interesting point in the scheme of things, but let's face it, it's MW. It's filler. The biggest thing it does is adds about 1400 rides a day to the parks capacity. 1400 isn't even much but since it won't really affect attendance you would think it would be a help overall. You could make a compelling point that it's more stuff at the front of the park which will do nothing to spread the crowds out; as much as it's filler perhaps if you could somehow squeeze it in the Villans land it might draw more thrill ride crowd up the back to use some of that the spare capacity that Doomsday has. Perhaps 2 filler attractions are worth walking down to the end of the park for, 1 is not. You could have said that and it would have been an interesting discussion. I would potentially agreed in part, while still saying I prefer Superman's helix and listed why.

But instead you went with 'Grrr bad! I know what's best! These are solutions to a non problem which only I have!'

Again, I'm strawmanning you a touch, but come on dude, of course you got called out.

• rappa locked this topic