Wet n Wild SurfRider taken off website

Natti_amusements

They’d definitely have to give it at least some touch-up, because no matter how cheap Village are, it’d still be uncharacteristically careless for them to install a ‘new’ ride with exposed rust, even on it’s own track. I’m not expecting a ton, but remain somewhat hopeful that (best case scenario, perhaps) they look at what Gumbuya World did when rejuvenating Buzzsaw.IMG_1509.thumb.jpeg.46ca775932f0f1fa21e937b4b30b2bfd.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart

8 hours ago, Prequel said:

Yes. 

The ride has been down at Wet and Wild for a long time, I'm not really sure what's stopped them from moving the ride during that downtime, if it was so easy to just dismantle the ride.

What could they even do to dress this ride up? It's not a lot of space, it's located on a huge concrete slab, and they probably want the ride to be operating as soon as possible. 

But why?

What reason is there to assume they will cheap out on this addition when they haven’t been on others?

4 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

But why?

What reason is there to assume they will cheap out on this addition when they haven’t been on others?

Because Atlantis and Oz are significantly more substantive additions that were planned out over years and required nearly a hundred million dollars in investment between them. This is the relocation of a more than 15-year old attraction that Village hitherto had no idea what to do with, that was literally rusting into obsolescence until they decided to take a reactionary measure. There is no parallel. Nobody, by the way, is unhappy in theory, as the relocation makes a good deal of sense, but you'd be foolish to anticipate that this would approach anywhere near the considered (and costly) planning and development of the larger additions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, REGIE said:

Is that rust? Too me it looks like they tested a different colour on that bit of track.

The thought did cross my mind with the uniformity of the patch, and idrk why it's the case that I didn't entertain the thought further, but it just seems more likely to me that it's one of many blemishes/signs of age that the ride's got, than that it's a test strip for the ride's new colour scheme, for some reason. IG it just doesn't seem likely to me that they'd install an entire platform without bothering to repaint the thing, just to give it a complete repaint after installation. That, mixed with an inability to see how a red coaster plonked beside/inside the helix of a red coaster would at all look good. or at least be considered as such throughout planning stages. It's a given IMO that a coaster's got to be a different colour to the rides visibly close to it to be distinct & look good, which'd mean no black, red, pink, or green (kinda, and with some exceptions, like kids coasters/rides).

Edited by Tricoart

4 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

Because Atlantis and Oz are significantly more substantive additions that were planned out over years and required nearly a hundred million dollars in investment between them. This is the relocation of a more than 15-year old attraction that Village hitherto had no idea what to do with, that was literally rusting into obsolescence until they decided to take a reactionary measure. There is no parallel. Nobody, by the way, is unhappy in theory, as the relocation makes a good deal of sense, but you'd be foolish to anticipate that this would approach anywhere near the considered (and costly) planning and development of the larger additions.

Surely there is a big gap between

Its not the same as Atlantis

and

They are going to Cheap Out

Also given it seems to be only this forum thats constructed a narrative that this is a slap dash decision to curb some reduced park capacity surely its entirely possible they have actually planned this for a while and properly. 

On 14/04/2023 at 8:19 PM, Stevie said:

The longest part about Surfrider being installed within the Superman helix would be the recommissioning cycles required before it can take riders again. I'm just waiting to see where they put the queue and if any higher or extra fencing is needing around Superman. 

I'm not sure that Buzzsaw had to go through a full recommission, did it? 

On 15/04/2023 at 2:42 PM, Prequel said:

Will the ride get a new colour scheme, what would you even theme this to. 

Given that they've already installed the station platforms, i'm not sure whether there are plans to do so - surely it'd be easier to have painted it all offsite, rather than in the middle of the ride helix - as I mentioned last week, I think they're going full steam ahead to plug the attraction gap quickly. 

19 hours ago, Tricoart said:

remain somewhat hopeful that (best case scenario, perhaps) they look at what Gumbuya World did when rejuvenating Buzzsaw.

When they did that, the buzzsaw track was all sent to a professional paint shop. the track was completely stripped and repainted from scratch. Based on the current location of the track and the pieces already inside the helix, I'd suggest any chance of a 'gumbuya level rejuvenation' is already dashed.

9 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

Also given it seems to be only this forum thats constructed a narrative that this is a slap dash decision to curb some reduced park capacity surely its entirely possible they have actually planned this for a while and properly. 

It is at least possible, yes. But the ride has sat for a long time without operating, and all reasonable conclusions suggest the current theme is out of place, so if it were planned for a long time - wouldn't we have seen it taken down earlier, and shipped offsite for respray?

Even the most experienced folk on here, while not arguing that it will be poorly done, are still agreeing that this entire install is reactionary.

• Like 1

On 16/4/2023 at 10:04 PM, Tricoart said:

The thought did cross my mind with the uniformity of the patch, and idrk why it's the case that I didn't entertain the thought further, but it just seems more likely to me that it's one of many blemishes/signs of age that the ride's got, than that it's a test strip for the ride's new colour scheme, for some reason. IG it just doesn't seem likely to me that they'd install an entire platform without bothering to repaint the thing, just to give it a complete repaint after installation. That, mixed with an inability to see how a red coaster plonked beside/inside the helix of a red coaster would at all look good. or at least be considered as such throughout planning stages. It's a given IMO that a coaster's got to be a different colour to the rides visibly close to it to be distinct & look good, which'd mean no black, red, pink, or green (kinda, and with some exceptions, like kids coasters/rides).

Leaving maybe yellow to be the best option? Not sure how that color ages but I think it could pull it off

On 17/04/2023 at 8:05 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'm not sure that Buzzsaw had to go through a full recommission, did it? 

My main thought behind a more lengthy recommissioning is that the ride has sat and not operated in a long time. Buzzsaw at least operated up until it was pulled apart and sent south, along with a bunch of upgrades/maintenance that Dreamworld has not long finished making to the ride.

3 hours ago, TBoy said:

Looks like the track is being painted grey so it can then be repainted again to a different colour.

Seems that way! I originally thought it had become whiter later in the day, though in retrospect it may have just been the lighting.

Honestly, it'd be kinda cool if they kept it as that bare gray colour. It wouldn't impede or clash with Superman as it's such a barebones colour, whilst still being unique enough to not completely blend in, and could be seen as an homage to Arkham/Lethal Weapon to boot. If that isn't the case, though, hopefully they choose a colour that's suitable for the ride & the plot it's going into.

Edited by Tricoart

2 hours ago, gumb00t said:

I think you'll find that it's primer. Primer is grey. 

Yeah, it could very well be that that’s the case, just discussing the chance that it’s their finalised colour instead, ‘cause it’s more interesting than just guessing colours again, and there’s always a chance of it being the case.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mba2012 said:

Perhaps more likely to be underground services. I can't imagine they'll want the queue to go through the smokers area

I wouldn't be so sure.

First - if they needed to mark out services, it would be for digging. They'd certainly do that before they poured the ride slab.

Second - the slab inside the ride envelope does show a pathway leading to the 'smokers area'.

What's more likely - they wouldn't put a queue through the smokers area? or they move the smokers area?

image.thumb.png.e3af95a82c06c776b2a49c3059cbefad.png

On 18/01/2023 at 9:40 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

image.thumb.png.e04170b2e04e80f8f5c54d186d7ad72c.png

Looks like I got the exact orientation right too!

• Like 2

• rappa locked this topic