Wet n Wild SurfRider taken off website

Natti_amusements

51 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Does this also count as a multi-type coaster? 😁

Does this count as a credit?

3 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I'm down with this if they flip every second seat upside down 

MW will load you upside-down for $40.00.  No need to flip the seat.

Edited by New display name

12 hours ago, REGIE said:

I think since SE is the main attraction your don’t want the half pipe taking away the spot light but instead you want the half pipe to add to what’s already there to make SE stand out more not hide it. I think painting the half pipe just all black could be cool. The blue of se supports and the blue of surf rider might clash not build each other up. The half pipe just needs a subtle color imo .  Excuse the last minute RCT example . What dc character has the color black? Or maybe it could be themed to some machine that created the earth quake

EB84DBE1-A10B-47CD-A9A3-163F79985A0C.jpeg

Using the image that @DaptoFunlandGuy posted of the construction site, it should somewhat be oriented like this even more scuffed edit attempts to show, slightly turned counterclockwise from the angle in the photo. As such, it'll almost kinda be turned to face Batwing Spaceshot, which might look a bit weird if they're both painted completely black.

6D31D6D5-74F2-4732-917E-6F79925128FF.jpeg.70f668fab6d394dd40c3494171def96a.thumb.jpeg.821a310cc7a6d6697a02d817d12c01bb.jpeg

That said, maybe a dark blue or purple (not pink like DCR, I mean like a midnight purple) could work, Purple would work for a Bizarro theme, and Blue might work for a Darkseid one (had to google that guy, but I think he's in the Justice League movies so he could be recognizable enough). If they do choose to make it completely black, though, they could theme it to an equally-critically panned movie as Green Lantern was, Black Adam.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 9:47 PM, aaronm said:

If Surfrider is indeed destined for Superman’s helix, has anyone thought about the poor displaced smokers? Where will they go now? 😆

Smoker's area in that section (if it still exists) is outside the helix, and therefore won't be impacted.

2 hours ago, pin142 said:

Can see the main entrance being via the courtyard and doubt one close to Superman. The chainwire fence separates the park from the studios and I can't seeing that being moved.

I agree that the main entrance likely wont be close to Superman, but would it not cause quite bad crowd congestion if there wasn’t a 2nd entrance/exit to an area that large somewhere (at least for the food/retail stores)? And, even if they don’t have a second entrance at all, smoke’ll do as smoke does & travel with the wind, and having the plot for a kids/family area that close to a designated smoking zone still doesn’t seem too logical to me.

Edited by Tricoart

You do actually. The morass of people between the JL store and the Rivals entrance is sometimes just plain feral. 

Regardless, the smokers corner is probably safe, unless the park chooses to move it. Construction won't impact it at all, and given QLD law regarding 4 metres from building entrances, playgrounds, schools etc etc, it more than adequately meets the health departments criteria for positioning.

4 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Construction won't impact it at all, and given QLD law regarding 4 metres from building entrances, playgrounds, schools etc etc, it more than adequately meets the health departments criteria for positioning.

Not trying to argue, more curious if you know, would the control booth and or ride pad count as a 'building'?

28 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Not trying to argue, more curious if you know, would the control booth and or ride pad count as a 'building'?

The QLD regs are easy to find - so I should have checked them first - the regs state it is actually FIVE metres from building entrances.

The wording is pretty straight forward:

• within 5 metres of non-residential building entrances

Clearly the regulations would regard the standard dictionary definition of a non residential building. A building is defined as "a structure with a roof and walls, such as a house or factory." and it is clearly not residential - so I would suggest an Operator's booth does qualify, the ride structure does not.

Its semantics at any rate - based on the pics so far, the operators booth will be more than 5 metres from the currently designated area.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The QLD regs are easy to find - so I should have checked them first - the regs state it is actually FIVE metres from building entrances.

The wording is pretty straight forward:

• within 5 metres of non-residential building entrances

Clearly the regulations would regard the standard dictionary definition of a non residential building. A building is defined as "a structure with a roof and walls, such as a house or factory." and it is clearly not residential - so I would suggest an Operator's booth does qualify, the ride structure does not.

Its semantics at any rate - based on the pics so far, the operators booth will be more than 5 metres from the currently designated area.

Regulations are more of a guide for the smokers and small businesses.   I recently worked on a nightclub refurb in surfers and the drawings and reports had to be submitted to QLD health for approval, it wouldn't surprise me if the theme parks had to do something similar.

Not so much a guide. The regulations are backed by legislation and enforced by QLD health by penalties imposed on the smoker or the venue, depending on the offence. 

But you're right, i've no doubt the parks would have to provide evidence that their arrangements comply with law. 

Things like the V8s in Ipswich and GC, QLD Health inspectors patrol the grounds, which are entirely smoke free precincts, and issue fines regularly.

27 minutes ago, Naazon said:

I guess the question is where the queue line goes then since surely even Village won't put a queue next to a smoking area.

The smoking area is technically against the fence, and the queue is almost certainly going through the current vehicle access gates closer to the launch. the queue will be just as far away if not more so. 

13 hours ago, aaronm said:

Removing the smoking area entirely would be a welcome improvement. 

You'd think so, but it actually causes more issues. (Full disclosure - I am an ex-smoker, and the smell of it triggers me and makes me feel sick).

If you remove areas that are at least reasonably close walking distance, most smokers will do it anywhere. Disney banned it in all their parks, but they have great cast that are very observant and will spot wayward smokers in a second. Our parks don't have that many staff walking the streets - and if you don't give smokers an area to go to that is reasonably close, they'll light up anywhere and walk amongst the crowds smoking away. (And vapers don't consider themselves as "smoking" so alot of them already do walk around vaping away)

The superman area is in a corner, near the action, but not in anyone's path - you don't have to walk through that area to get anywhere. It is a pretty well placed spot and not too far from most things at the front. 

• rappa locked this topic