Theme Park Worldwide Announce Australian Tour

Noll_57

1 hour ago, joz said:

I think the SFNE's kinda shows that themeing a big outdoor ride is pointless. Adding junk around a coaster is just adding junk around a coaster, its not creating an immeraive experience. Even when Disney tried it with Incredicoaster it was shit

Pretty much the only way to realistically theme an outdoor coaster consistently well is to have it weave within/between a well-themed area. So if an area’s large enough and is built well enough around a coaster/the coaster is built well enough around the area, it could happen (closest example coming to mind being Velocicoaster, so if there was a chain to do it, I think Universal could). If you don’t have a well-themed area that large, or you fail to integrate it well, you’ll inevitably end up with bare fields, gravel, & concrete (which, to the credit of Rivals, isn’t quite the case due to the creek nearby). Incredicoaster being a prime example of this, as most of the layout isn’t integrated into the area at all, and therefore is mainly just spirals, concrete, & gravel.

Edited by Tricoart

I would argue that 90% of Nemesis is landscaping and 10% a themed station with a few decorative touches. The design and concept is just so good that it ties in almost perfectly. I'd say it supports my theory too because it demonstrates how important sightlines are and that you can't be immersive if your sightlines aren't fully controlled. Reality is your sightlines will be screwed on a Hyper. Making it look nice is far more important than putting shit around the course.

Also Phantasialand is properly mental. That park as a whole is the exception that proves the rule.

4 hours ago, joz said:

Also Phantasialand is properly mental. That park as a whole is the exception that proves the rule.

Phantasialand doesn't have any hyper coasters - they're height limited, so everything is built low by necessity. 95ft is the tallest coaster, and that's only because it was built below the ground level.

Just look at Silverstar - and incredible coaster inside a immaculately Disney level themed park- and the station is too.. but the coaster outside of the station, while navigating the carpark is completely un-themed...  and it doesn't need to be.

4 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Phantasialand doesn't have any hyper coasters - they're height limited, so everything is built low by necessity. 95ft is the tallest coaster, and that's only because it was built below the ground level.

Just look at Silverstar - and incredible coaster inside a immaculately Disney level themed park- and the station is too.. but the coaster outside of the station, while navigating the carpark is completely un-themed...  and it doesn't need to be.

I think that's the point Joz is trying to make.

Also I'd hardly say Silver Star has a well themed station or queue line, it's just a flashy corporate showcase. But I do agree it's an incredible coaster (although rougher than I expected), it doesn't really need anymore themeing.

Edited by mba2012
  • Thanks 1

On 13/01/2023 at 6:06 PM, Gazza said:

How do you know? if they are here a few days and have a super pass they can always duck back.

It seems they are just doing that after spending the morning at WnW:

So far, their schedule has been:

• January 10: Arrive in Singapore
  • January 11: Universal Studios Singapore
  • January 12: Travel from Singapore to Melbourne/Melbourne to Gold Coast
  • January 13: Movie World
  • January 14: Aussie World/Australia Zoo
  • January 15: Wet N Wild/Movie World

Come on movieworld and village roadshow in general your just asking to be roasted and have a parody.. I would say in the GP of adults corkscrew and tower of terror would be the most iconic at least around here. Near Melbourne I am sure it’s different . Most iconic open would probably be SE or DCR so I guess for now MW have the title…

3 hours ago, New display name said:

Everything is lovely when the park showers you with fast passes.

But even the Free Fast Passes didn't stop TPWW from mentioning how bad MW operations are.😂

I think its a stretch to imply their review is biased because of a couple passes, which to be fair, any guest can buy. 
I think the fact that they mention at the very end “love to see the operations improved even more” shows they were prepared to be critical where they found it warranted (eg stunt show) but overall had a very positive experience at the park. 
Sometimes fresh eyes are nice to look through, especially ones that are well traveled. 

• Like 5

I really liked the review. I think it's quite easy to criticise our home parks because we literally see them all of the time. I do enjoy the positivity of Theme Park Worldwide. 

If I keep the positive vibes going we are lucky to have a world class rollercoaster with the Hypercoaster, an unbelievably well themed ride with Wild West Falls and a top notch coaster with Superman. The other thread is discussing what Movieworld could do to enhance their ride offering, but if they can find a way to add another thrill coaster and use some of the show buildings to further enhance ride offerings over the next 5 years that would make even more of a difference.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rappa said:

I think its a stretch to imply their review is biased because of a couple passes, which to be fair, any guest can buy. 
I think the fact that they mention at the very end “love to see the operations improved even more” shows they were prepared to be critical where they found it warranted (eg stunt show) but overall had a very positive experience at the park. 
Sometimes fresh eyes are nice to look through, especially ones that are well traveled. 

Slight nitpick, the white wristbands are not the same as Fast Track available for purchase, they are unlimited use and only issued for "VIPs" (whilst paid Fast Track is one use per ride).

Have to agree though that I don't think it impacted their review and it was a nice reminder that whilst we can all be critical of our local parks they are great as they are.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rappa said:

I'm not saying TPWW are being biased because of a couple of passes.  I'm saying TPWW are experiencing MW like we never could, and money can't buy.   TPWW’s review is on their experience, an experience only available to VIP.   Shawn said the backwards seat was great value at $20.00 but had he paid for the backward seat he would know the correct price.   How many people have been able to enter the park before it opens, ride Rivals 7 times in a day and get every other ride in?  This is why, I take their reviews with a grain of salt.  I watch them because they are a fun couple and show me things I’m interested in.

• Like 1