Luna parks wooden wild mouse future

REGIE

20 hours ago, REGIE said:

what I do not understand is why the hell did they replace it with another mouse…  so many better options for a similar price tag surely.  Like a ZDT’s switchback clone. But I guess that means they have to upkeep a wooden coaster again which obviously they don’t want to do.   But even a Vekoma family coaster would have been good.

I doubt it makes much difference to Aussie World's usual clientele. My sense from visiting there a few times is that they don't really draw visitors from outside the immediate local area.

On 03/04/2023 at 8:55 PM, Noxegon said:

Why would a park remove a perfectly good wooden mouse and replace it with another? 

Aussie World's mouse was a great ride. It's a huge shame that they weren't able to keep it going.

There was obviously an issue or a reason with Aussie World's Wild Mouse that made keeping the ride untenable and unviable. They didnt sell it, they scrapped it. Given that the other 2 Hopkins Pearce Mice were sold to overseas parks, I was merely lamenting its loss and proposing a scenario where they could have obtained a working mouse. Plenty of parks scrap rides and then replace them with exactly the same ride to provide continuity. LPS did it with Tango Train. Attaining a Hopkins Pearce Mouse for Aussie World when their current Mouse was retired for what ever reason would have been far preferable than the installation of the Dingo Racer. However, it appears that would be one of the reasons that Dingo Racer was chosen- as an update on what was there before.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the opportunity to go to Sydney for a couple days this week and noticed a crane over the wild mouse.   OzThills noticed it as well.  Not sure what they would be doing that needs a crane but I heard it’s getting a retrack. Probably only in some spots but maybe they will do it all. 
the park was closed on the 26th-25th so I couldn’t get a good look at it.

Yeah the heritage listing requires them to maintain it to a certain standard. They can't just bin the ride and built a replica. They'd have to assess each piece for whether it can continue to be used, requires refurbishment, or requires replacement, and if replacement is the solution (again, on a piece by piece basis), then they must replace it with as close to original as possible. 

• Love it! 1

Ngl this is awesome. Will definitely give the ride decades more of life.  Incredible they are doing another big spend so close to the 30M they just spent (can’t remember the exact number).  Might not be open for another 3-5 years though depending how quick they get into it. Heritage listing adds many complications.  If I could ask for one thing it’s that the original cars are kept or exact clones. Modern cars/trains? would be a bit of a shame but I guess “safety” is a concern. It’s operated for around 70 years no dramas though.  I hope they give it a more permanent feeling station building. In a similar style to big dippers.  Very exciting to hear that’s happening though! Must mean the return on investment to the park was decent.

one thing to add though. I remember someone telling me once the man who built the mouse originally made 3 units. But someone else made Aussie worlds mouse. But then according to RCDB the same guy made both.  Does anyone know which is true?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, REGIE said:

one thing to add though. I remember someone telling me once the man who built the mouse originally made 3 units. But someone else made Aussie worlds mouse. But then according to RCDB the same guy made both.  Does anyone know which is true?

RCDB is wrong on this. Hopkins & Pearce made 3 units - the one at LPS, and then two currently operating at parks in East Java in Indonesia.

Aussie World's model was imported from the US, which is where Hopkins & Pearce first saw the Wild Mouse operating and bought the blueprints to build their own. So essentially, identical model, built by different manufacturers. All three of the Hopkins & Pearce clones still exist, although it's hard to know much about their current operating status with them being in Indonesia.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming. I got worried I was imagining things again.

One of the 2 overseas ones has been given a crap name “Animal coaster” and painted a terrible colour.  It definitely deserves better than that.  The other one is hard to find info on as RCDB has missing information on it. 

5DE6EA03-2C11-4E11-AE8A-B8F01B3DA96F.jpeg

Edit.  I found all three 

https://rcdb.com/9953.htm

https://rcdb.com/10419.htm

and we all know Sydney’s one.

”crazy car coaster”s trains appear to be in excellent condition. The track and supports have had better days. 

Edited by REGIE

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Luna Park on Sunday and there has been lots of work being done to Wild Mouse. Heaps of the track has come down and is being stored at the front of the wild mouse store. Most of the inside of Hungary horse is blocked of with some track pieces in the back corner. 

20230521_142436.thumb.jpg.838b401c5482c5c3d5d736c451bbe0d4.jpg

20230521_135205.thumb.jpg.664d72fb47176df3999623d3967234cf.jpg

20230521_142438.thumb.jpg.a6086a450772fc453c658483c537fc6e.jpg

20230521_154403.thumb.jpg.0e2e359285252c54d17793ccfb49b9f1.jpg

20230521_135148.thumb.jpg.72bed64b8606269c8fa1ef9cb2ef3984.jpg

20230521_135111.thumb.jpg.5d6b26723f2b9760a18f47a2622e0d1f.jpg

Is this a track referb or retrack or a bit a both. 

2 hours ago, TomiJ said:

I was at Luna Park on Sunday and there has been lots of work being done to Wild Mouse. Heaps of the track has come down and is being stored at the front of the wild mouse store. Most of the inside of Hungary horse is blocked of with some track pieces in the back corner. 

20230521_142436.thumb.jpg.838b401c5482c5c3d5d736c451bbe0d4.jpg

20230521_135205.thumb.jpg.664d72fb47176df3999623d3967234cf.jpg

20230521_142438.thumb.jpg.a6086a450772fc453c658483c537fc6e.jpg

20230521_154403.thumb.jpg.0e2e359285252c54d17793ccfb49b9f1.jpg

20230521_135148.thumb.jpg.72bed64b8606269c8fa1ef9cb2ef3984.jpg

20230521_135111.thumb.jpg.5d6b26723f2b9760a18f47a2622e0d1f.jpg

Is this a track referb or retrack or a bit a both. 

My understanding is that it's a retrack in most places. Last year I saw newly fabricated track pieces sitting under Big Dipper on one visit.

Edited by Baconjack

The LPS website has been updated to state the following..

Wild Mouse 

Wild Mouse is being completely restored in celebration of its 60th birthday! Anticipated completion is Summer 2024.

Did you know?

• One of only 3 of its kind operating in the world
  • A rare gravity-fed rollercoaster, the Wild Mouse track is a 400m long steel track built on a group of timber towers
  • The original coaster style is called ‘Wild Cat’, with three signature ‘switchbacks’ followed by ‘bunny hop’ vertical hills
  • For over half a century the Wild Mouse has been the most popular ride at Luna Park

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

Wild Mouse is being completely restored in celebration of its 60th birthday! Anticipated completion is Summer 2024.

Great to see them completely restoring it, but unfortunately it means the coaster will be down for 2+ years. Not a good time to be a wild mice fan in Australia with this and SDSC both closed for 2+ year refurbs.