37 minutes ago, New display name said:

I pay for a pass for my wife who hasn't been in years, just incase she wants to go.  I also know a few people who pay for the pass and never go.  All village are doing is forcing these types of people to cancel their passes for good.

Same. My partner has had a pass since day one of memberships - so what’s that 7 years now? She’s been to MW twice for day visits. Aside from that she’s been to FNs twice, WC twice and Carnivalle twice - 8 visits in 7 years. I’d have happily continued to pay for her on the off chance she wanted to come one day - theme parks are our son and my thing to do together - but zero chance that happens now

they stuffed up royally, and it’s indicative by the fact that every community group on fb has people complaining about this - so the negativity around the park and closures is being exasperated by putting more negativity into the media cycle and public domain. 

41 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

they stuffed up royally, and it’s indicative by the fact that every community group on fb has people complaining about this - so the negativity around the park and closures is being exasperated by putting more negativity into the media cycle and public domain. 

Yes the timing couldn't have been worse - from what i'm hearing MW's current maintenance and downtime is crazy out of control, and not a lot left in the park to do - and thats the moment they choose to come out and ask people to pay double?

45 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

every community group on fb has people complaining

Yes they do. About everything all the time whether valid or not

I dont think community groups taking a day off complaining about trams, noise, jeystar losing their bag or how much they hate tom tate is a good indicator of public reception and reason

Someone mentioned Supply and Demand

Isnt that exactly what this is

What I don’t understand (apart from going $9 a month to $24 a month)

is why the new prices of $288 are more expensive than the other annual passes.

for locals, its $100 more.

they include the same exact things- we haven’t had in park discounts or offers for years. The only “benefit” ive ever had was the DC hyper coaster rides 1 hr before park opened.

how can they justify $100

difference for locals (im not local, but i will be cancelling anyhow because sydney based and only

visit once a year).

surely the benefits of paying month to month instead of after pay options isnt a $100 fee?

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Yes the timing couldn't have been worse - from what i'm hearing MW's current maintenance and downtime is crazy out of control, and not a lot left in the park to do - and thats the moment they choose to come out and ask people to pay double?

They currently have 8 attractions closed. Some of which are unplanned maintenance, but if they aren’t sorted soon, they’ll have 9 closed from Monday. Making Superman the only coaster open and Batwing and Justice League the only two major rides left, other than a couple kids rides. 

1 hour ago, Jules C said:

What I don’t understand (apart from going $9 a month to $24 a month)

From everything i've seen, they've collapsed all of the various tiers into one tier, which was the middle (premier) membership. That was $12 a month, now doubled to $24. This is because all of the benefits that were offered to different tiers no longer exist, and everyone gets the same benefits, so they pay the same price.

is why the new prices of $288 are more expensive than the other annual passes.

surely the benefits of paying month to month instead of after pay options isnt a $100 fee?

I assume the cost of debit success' involvement adds to the base cost. Definitely not by the same amount as the price difference, but like everyone has been saying, it seems like a way to push people to cancel - so there has to be an incentive to do that, and the big increase would probably be it as it makes the onepass look like better value. (I don't think the difference is $100 more between the new pricing).

23 minutes ago, themagician said:

They currently have 8 attractions closed. Some of which are unplanned maintenance, but if they aren’t sorted soon, they’ll have 9 closed from Monday. Making Superman the only coaster open and Batwing and Justice League the only two major rides left, other than a couple kids rides. 

I mean, late may, off-peak, outside of school holidays is when you want that level of downtime to occur, for sure - but its bad optics when you've trying to convert a small monthly subscription into a large single output before end of financial year.

I'd love to see the stats on memberships, how many stay, how many convert, and how many just outright walk away, but I get the feeling that they couldn't care less either way, so the stats don't really matter. 

They should have just announced the closure of the program and issued a 'membership only conversion offer' with something to lessen the sting, rather than just simply doubling the price, flattening the tiers and going 'take it or leave it'.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I assume the cost of debit success' involvement adds to the base cost. Definitely not by the same amount as the price difference, but like everyone has been saying, it seems like a way to push people to cancel - so there has to be an incentive to do that, and the big increase would probably be it as it makes the onepass look like better value. (I don't think the difference is $100 more between the new pricing).

So i got the pass in 2010/11 and have been paying $9 since. Now $24.

jump of what 175%?

now, i wish i was joking about the locals annual pass that includes the exact same offer as the $288 pass now.

sorry $99 difference. (Local One Annual Pass for 4 parks is $189)

see attached 

IMG_7938.jpeg

5 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I have a friend that’s similar, may go a couple of times a year if that.

I have no doubt VRTP have analysed membership pass usage closely and are well aware of the % of users that do not make frequent use of their pass.

Considering the backlash I somewhat feel they would have been better off just terminating the membership program and offering the discounted One Pass rates. Possibly their agreement with DebitSuccess doesn’t allow this, no idea.

I agree, they would know how many people use their passes.  I have no gripe with prices going up, that is a part of life.  The way village handle situations always comes of as a lack of courtesy towards Village guests.   Village management really need to get a good public relations department that handles this stuff.

48 minutes ago, Jules C said:

So i got the pass in 2010/11 and have been paying $9 since. Now $24.

That's not possible. Pay by the month Memberships weren't introduced until about 2015. Prior to that it was a VIP pass. Prior to that it was a Q150 pass.

50 minutes ago, Jules C said:

now, i wish i was joking about the locals annual pass that includes the exact same offer as the $288 pass now.

sorry $99 difference. (Local One Annual Pass for 4 parks is $189)

Just to clarify, the locals annual pass is $219

image.png.fb4320a3c004662d497cab5f424eff46.png

The pricing you are seeing is based on the membership offer, which is a discounted offer (but only for this year):

image.png.9d1f8a1f061abe2053d64ee8a0fbd57c.png

Still better than the offer for non locals:

image.png.ae9fa05dfa4b437ec5c90fa9050c1ea5.png

Which is still discounted from the standard offering:

image.png.904e5a8386b51111c746d10d08d60d69.png

15 minutes ago, New display name said:

Village management really need to get a good public relations department that handles this stuff.

I'd love to fix that for you, but instead, allow me to rephrase:

Village management really need to get a public relations department that handles this stuff.... because they sure as shit don't appear to have one now.

15 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I think it’s a bit cheap of them to not give the normal renewal bonuses ($50 outback, $50 Animal Advemtures ect) considering they all require an additional spend.

For anyone wondering whether "$30 off, one time only" was a good deal - here's the terms of the one pass renewal offer:

Village Roadshow One Pass Locals Renewal Offer

Village Roadshow One Pass renewal offer is available to existing Passholders who have:

· A pass expiring within the next 28 days, or
· A pass which has expired within the past 28 days.

Together with Village Roadshow One Pass terms and conditions and entitlements includes the following further entitlements:

$50 Animal Adventure Discount Voucher

To be redeemed against any one (1) Animal Adventures activity. Discount voucher valid for 12 months from date of issue (failing which it will be deemed void and not able to be used). Excludes special needs programs, photo opportunities and glass bottom boat tours. Certain criteria must be met in order to participate in each of the Animal Adventures programs to ensure the safety of guests, staff and animals. All participation is subject to final assessment by the Marine Sciences staff member at the time of attendance and all conditions and/or information are subject to change without notice - please read Animal Adventures terms and conditions. One Bonus Value discount voucher per booking maximum.

$50 Sea World Resort Discount Voucher

Valid for accommodation (room only). One $50 voucher per booking maximum. Discount voucher valid from 12 months from date of issue (failing which it will be deemed void and not able to be used). Guests to phone Call Centre to redeem and book stay. One Bonus Value discount voucher per booking maximum.

$5 Topgolf Lifetime Membership* for up to 6 People – Valued at $30

The voucher is single-use and cannot be transferred or exchanged. The voucher must be presented at Topgolf Gold Coast in conjunction with the guest’s Village Roadshow One Pass and can only be redeemed in the name of the Village Roadshow One Pass holder. One bonus value discount voucher per booking maximum. The discount voucher entitles guests to a Topgolf Lifetime Membership valued at $5 and does not include Topgolf gameplay. Redemption and use of the Topgolf Lifetime Membership is subject to Topgolf Terms and Conditions, which can be found at: topgolf.com.au/termsofuse

$20 Topgolf Game Play Discount Voucher

Not valid with any other offer or promotion. Discount voucher must be used within 12 months of purchase date (failing which it will be deemed void and not able to be used). $20 off ‘Game Play’ discount voucher to be presented at Topgolf. No discount voucher is redeemable for cash and unused credit is non-refundable. One Bonus Value discount voucher per booking maximum.

$50 Paradise Country Farmstay Discount Voucher

Valid on Eco Tents only. Discount voucher valid from 12 months of date of issue (failing which it will be deemed void and not able to be used). Guest to phone Call Centre to redeem and book their Farmstay. One Bonus Value discount voucher per booking maximum.

$20 Paradise Country Koala Breakfast Discount Voucher

Subject to availability as numbers are limited. Discount voucher must be used within 12 months of purchase date (failing which it will be deemed void and not able to be used). Guest to use barcode on discount voucher when booking online or via the Call Centre. One Bonus Value discount voucher per booking maximum.

$25 Australian Outback Spectacular Discount Voucher

Valid for 12 months from date of issue (failing which it will be deemed void and not able to be used). One Bonus Value discount voucher per booking maximum.

Since a switch to the onepass is technically a renewal, it's pretty poor that they wouldn't offer these *essentially* free extras as a sweetener.

• Like 1

I have had the monthly membership for about 8 years now, I don't mind paying more but rocking up to a theme park that is running 1 train on major coaster is appalling. The level of customer service and ride operations needs to drastically improve. I'm sure with this increase they can atleast afford one extra staff member per major attraction to keep queues flowing. I use to work in ride operations for Village roadshow and can definitely say they need more staff on attractions to increase customer satisfaction and reduce queues. 

11 minutes ago, joz said:

Ah so what you're saying is if you continue your membership, you'd be getting the your membership for cheaper than what someone else would pay for the equivalent product. Good to know!

What? Id be paying $288 if i continued.

5 hours ago, Jules C said:

it makes no sense to me to charge more for non locals who are not going to use it as often.

let alone charging that much for it. 

Think of it the other way around… Non locals price is the standard price, and the locals price is a discounted ‘reward’ for locals.

That’s where locals passes first came about… rewarding the locals with a discounted pass option. 

If you look at the ticketing there's a bit of a clue, it's all built around people on holidays; 3 day pass, 7 day pass 14 day pass. Then you've got your annual pass on top of that. A 14 day pass is two thirds the price of a year pass sounds about right. But $300 is a big ask for locals, and a deal to locals to keep things ticking over is vital. You can't alienate your locals, but tourists will also pay more to enter.

Solution is set your pricing around tourists, and then discount for locals for the ticket that appeals most to them. Back in the days where everyone, tourists and locals got unlimited entry for $99 they left a lot of money on the table.

• Like 1