The Off Topic Topic

No parks are listed in the filming location credits on IMDB... but clearly it shows in still imagery that they're entering 'walley world' -

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm383120896/tt1524930?ref_=ttmd_md_nxt

It doesn't look anything like SFMM's entry plaza (but the metal detectors are there so that's one positive! LOL)

I think Gazza is the best one to ask to spot the entrance pic (linked above) and tell us which park it appears to be. Of course - it could just be facade courthouse style film location and the rides were shot elsewhere again... have to wait an see when more info is released - it's premiering in the US in July so it's not far off.

No parks are listed in the filming location credits on IMDB... but clearly it shows in still imagery that they're entering 'walley world' -

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm383120896/tt1524930?ref_=ttmd_md_nxt

It doesn't look anything like SFMM's entry plaza (but the metal detectors are there so that's one positive! LOL)

I think Gazza is the best one to ask to spot the entrance pic (linked above) and tell us which park it appears to be. Of course - it could just be facade courthouse style film location and the rides were shot elsewhere again... have to wait an see when more info is released - it's premiering in the US in July so it's not far off.

I just went digging, and on the Wiki page for the movie it says that filming was done in Georgia. And so with that i found this;

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--BE_j4jlYs4/Tm0cI3c-mLI/AAAAAAAAPAg/lP4Nq14rA-I/s1600/SFOG1.jpg

Very different to the original though. I don't like the 'modernisation' of HM - to me it's classic haunt effects are far better than all this modern stuff they're going with - part of the reason why Mystic Manor didn't rank higher than HM on my recent HK visit (which reminds me I haven't posted my review of that part of the park yet... not enough time lately...).

I'm all for them improving their effects, but sometimes they go to far - and I think the HBG in that video is probably a bit too far.

I have to disagree, I think the modern improvements to The Haunted Mansion are great. I love the new Hat Box Ghost & feel they have done an exceptional job on bringing him back to the mansion. I also loved Mystic Manor & thought the effects were amazing but...I suppose it's a matter of personal taste :)

Edited by DisneyDoll

Absolutely - it's personal taste. Having experienced LA's "new" and "old" Space Mountain - I prefer the 'old'... but when comparing current versions in LA and HK - both Casey and I prefer HK to LA.

Mystic and HM are very different, original pieces in the parks - and i'm more a 'traditionalist' when it comes to Disney dark rides. My last ride on HM in LA didn't appear too different... I know they need to upgrade and 'keep with the times' - i just prefer it the way I remember it from my first trip, and i'd rather they didn't have to change or upgrade it - just maintain it how it is.

I'm not a big fan of the overlays they do on their various attractions either - although the different soundtracks they do are cool.

Of course (as you'll see in my TR on Mystic - just posted) Mystic was great for what it was - but in terms of experience - i preferred HM... it's not to say for a moment that Mystic wasn't a great attraction - just didn't rank as highly as HM in my opinion.

Edited by AlexB

The Storm Coaster at SW made the local news this arvo... but not exactly for the right reason lol:

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/a-roller-coaster-has-reportedly-broken-down-at-sea-world-on-the-gold-coast/story-fnihsrf2-1227353341119

Apparently it's big news these days when rollercoasters break down, following the Green Lantern incident XD

Might be a bit of a random question, but does anyone know why Movieworld has such strict height restrictions for its coasters? I can understand it's obviously for safety reasons (duh) but seems a little bit odd that my 10 year old, who is currently 130cm tall, is allowed to ride everything at Dreamworld, including all the BiG 9 thrill rides. She has been on all of them except the Buzzsaw, which she is tall enough for, just too chicken to go on yet.

Yet at MW, the minimum height allowed is 140cm? She was very disappointed today as she was looking forward to riding the Arkham Asylum with me, alas it may be a long time yet until she is tall enough :/ It's also the same minimum height required for the Superman, Batwing & Green Lantern.

I thought most of the coasters between the parks were by the same manufacturers (Intamin, Vekoma) so yeah, just seemed odd that it's 130cm for one park, yet 140cm for the other, which would suggest that maybe the restrictions are actually set by the park instead of the manufacturers? Otherwise wouldn't some of the thrill rides at DW be 140cm as well? o_O

Edited by OceanGirl

I thought most of the coasters between the parks were by the same manufacturers (Intamin, Vekoma) so yeah, just seemed odd that it's 130cm for one park, yet 140cm for the other, which would suggest that maybe the restrictions are actually set by the park instead of the manufacturers? Otherwise wouldn't some of the thrill rides at DW be 140cm as well? o_O

One thing to remember is the STYLE of attraction you're dealing with.... Different forces train styles may necessitate different height requirements.

Also - Arkham doesn't use the manufacturer restraints anymore - They're Kumbak restraints and may have come with different manufacturer specs.

One thing to remember is the STYLE of attraction you're dealing with.... Different forces train styles may necessitate different height requirements.

Also - Arkham doesn't use the manufacturer restraints anymore - They're Kumbak restraints and may have come with different manufacturer specs.

Ah, ok. Didn't know that about Arkham, I just assumed that Intamin had just supplied new/different restraints.

Makes sense. Although still a little frustrating, despite it being for safety reasons. We will be waiting a long while... 10cm is a lot of height for one girl to have to grow in just 12 months lol. Hopefully her pre-teen hormones help a little with that and she doesn't end up on the shorter side like her mum - I'm 156cm, hahaha :)

• rappa locked this topic