The Off Topic Topic

Well Disney has a terrible safety record anyway...

Based on what? the fact that media outlets pounce on a shin graze to report major injuries? The Disney parks are the highest profile parks in the world, and media often blows things out of proportion. Their 'safety record' is actually pretty good when looked at on a 'per cap' basis.

Making statements like that without any basis (especially when others know it is incorrect) is why you frequently get served. Jobe hasn't let you get away with anything regarding LPS - don't start on other parks - you will get the same treatment.

Apparently the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride at Disney World caught fire over the weekend:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/01/disney-world-train-fire_n_6088630.html

A small fire was started in the scenic theming (nowhere near, and nothing to do with the actual ride function) after fallout from a firework in the nightly park fireworks landed amidst the artificial forest. The ride was quickly evacuated, fire crews attended to the fire, which lasted less than 20 minutes and did not spread to any part of the ride system.

The ride re-opened 2 hours after it was e-stopped, following a full safety inspection.

Robb Alvey at TPR was actually onboard the ride when the fire started. He was evacuated at the unload station and by all accounts the incident was handled extremely well. He reported many details 'as it happened' and felt the media response to the incident was blown completely out of proportion.

I'm sure Disney imagineers kicked into overdrive to repair the theming and I doubt much if anything will be noticeable when the ride reopens today.

The incident, whilst technically caused by the park (as it was their fireworks) couldn't really have been foreseen, wasn't caused by poor maintenance or poor operation, and i'm sure following the event, they will review their fireworks safety procedures.

In Disneyland - the park doesn't run the fireworks if the weather is too windy to avoid fallout reaching delicate areas. (such as an entire forest in AdventureFrontierland). Fantasyland is shut down for the duration of the show, and there are many cast members safety crew within Fantasyland to spot any potential fire hazards as a result of fallout. No doubt following their safety review they will either set limits on Wind in the direction of the 7DMT, place spotters on the ride to observe fallout, or other safety measures to prevent this occurring again.

A storm in a teacup, or more precisely - a campfire on the 7DMT.

Well Disney has a terrible safety record anyway...

Not really. Statistically speaking, Disney has a very low average injury rate per ten million, much lower then most parks but appears much higher given they have more guests visit their parks then any other chain in the world.

It's alot like Apple, actually. They sell a crazy amount of the same phone models, and despite their failure rate being the lowest in the industry, it appears higher because a) the sheer volume of units out there in the world makes it seem as though the failure rate is somehow higher and b ) the media love a great story about big brands - it's easy clickbait.

Edited by Slick

So Melbourne members may lament the lack of Water parks, but it increasingly seems like you can ride mo types of slide....If you are willing to visit several aquatic centers to do so.

In hoppers crossing a standard raft slide, and a Proslide bowl/funnel hybrid is going in (Imagine a bowl like Double Bowlseye at WNWSyd and a funnel like Tantrum)

post-88-0-25254900-1415071624_thumb.jpegpost-88-0-25254900-1415071624_thumb.jpeg

In Ringwood a couple of slides too, this time a Superloop slide with a drop capsule like the Wedgie at WWW.

post-88-0-42753800-1415071799_thumb.jpegpost-88-0-42753800-1415071799_thumb.jpeg

So Melbourne members may lament the lack of Water parks, but it increasingly seems like you can ride mo types of slide....If you are willing to visit several aquatic centers to do so.

Incidentally Yoshix...Walt Disney was a man & not a theme park. The park in Florida was dedicated to him by his brother Roy as Walt passed before it was completed. Originally it was just going to be called Disney World. After his death, Roy decided to call it Walt Disney Word in honour to his younger brother.

Quick question about Jet Rescue at Sea World - on the SW website it says the height limit is 125cm. Is this new? I could have sworn it was 110cm about 2 years ago. I remember my daughter, who was around 5 at the time, thought about going on it, got about half way through the line, and changed her mind, and didn't go on, even though we thought she was tall enough at the time. She's 119cm now, and frustrated with not being able to go on what she wants at DW. We were thinking of changing back over to SW/MW/WW passes next year for a change.

Also, current offer on VIP locals passes - buy 3, get 1 free, current expiry date of June next year, ends next week. Do they usually immediately follow this up with one that will expire end of December next year?

Also, current offer on VIP locals passes - buy 3, get 1 free, current expiry date of June next year, ends next week. Do they usually immediately follow this up with one that will expire end of December next year?

As far as I know Village Roadshow only have passes that expire June 30. Dreamworld have passes expiring June 30 and Dec 24. Wait till mid year to buy a VIP Pass till June 30, 2016.

• rappa locked this topic