The Off Topic Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Glubbo said:

When I signed up my family for Village Passes, I used my mobile number for my then 13 year old stepson's membership. Now they're spamming him (me) with ads.

Is that allowed, sms advertising to members they know to be children?

Not aware of anything that prohibits this at all.  You're a customer so consent is inferred and that's pretty much it.

Generally online, to collect data of people under 13 parental consent is required but you have also provided that in this case.

They're required to respect your opt-out if you do chose to opt-out though.

If anyone cares...

Despite Jetstreams initially still being listed/mentioned on the Wet'N'Wild website on the Mach 5 page after the update, the attraction has now been fully removed from the website alongside with all references to the ride (apart from the park map). Obviously this attraction will not be reopening again.

Edited by themeparkaddict

22 minutes ago, AlexB said:

How do you know it was profitable?

despite being a sellout, it could have run at a loss, intentionally to bring back visitation, and then not been viable to run profitably...

Why would it not be profitable, at capacity with much less energy use than a usual day at the park. Only the big 9 rides running and some lighting and stuff.

You stated it had to be profitable at a minimum. Now you're asking why it wouldn't. This is entirely my point - HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Answer is - you don't.

And here's where paragraphs help you understand big boy conversation.

First of all, you have staffing costs. Staff costs generally increase at a faster rate than hours worked due to overtime, union rules and industry award requirements. I'm not citing a specific park's bargaining agreement here, just speaking generally. Weekend casuals pick up some of the slack, but not always.

There's lots of other little costs that crop up during night events that aren't present during the day. The park may need to bring in or install extra lighting if they haven't, or don't usually use that part of the park at night. Special merchandise (and flashy crap) plus people to sell it. Extra security, Extra cleaning, extra maintenance, extra wear and tear... and then there's hiring in additional staging, scaffolding, PA and lighting gear for the special event stages.

But the biggest consideration by far is ride cost. Saying the energy cost is 'much less' because all the other rides aren't running is a bit misguided. Running the big 9 is the majority of your energy budget. Not running a chair swing isn't going to save you a lot of power when you're launching ToT's LIMs every few minutes.

I can't quote you every ride cost, as I simply don't know - but I do know ToT goes for about $1500 an hour, and TailSpin at about $1500 for an hour and a half for private events. (And bear in mind staffing needs at private events might differ from a 'capacity' public night).

Even if you assume a $1500 average (and i'm confident its far more) - 9 rides, running from 6:30pm to 10pm (3.5 hours) comes out a little over $47,000.

I did a little googling and found the family christmas after dark event had tickets on sale from $29.99. That'd mean you'd need to sell 1575 tickets just to cover your basic ride costs. I found a groupon style website selling park after dark tickets to another event at just $10 on top of a regular ticket. At $10 entry, you'd need 5000 tickets sold to break even - and this is just break even ride costs...

Park capacity is apparently 20,000 (which I find hard to believe), but general, full operation capacity, and night-time, reduced rides capacity is a very different thing. Cut out the wildlife area, Rocky Hollow, Wiggles World, Dreamworks Experience, and your park size is reduced substantially. You're basically trying to keep people in Ocean Parade, whilst allowing them access to giant drop and Mick Doohan - a heck of a long way from the rest of the entertainment - so let's say conservatively we stick with 10,000 capacity.

There is the potential that up to half of your total capacity is eaten in just your ride cost, without factoring in food and beverage staff, merch, entertainment, hire costs and so on. Now, you'd hope that your food, and merch teams make a profit, but if people eat before they come, or aren't interested in flashy crap, you could potentially lose money - so thats always a risk.

Bottom line is as I said before - they ran the ticket prices very lean, I presume, to attract more people to the park. Clearly the price point was too low, as they sold out and hit capacity - but what happened with the 26 May event? cancelled, and never rescheduled. If it's that profitable, why wouldn't you reschedule it?

Having said all that, the park website does suggest Park After Dark will return in late 2018 - I presume for Christmas or Hallowe'en  events - so I guess for now watch the website and await announcements...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

You stated it had to be profitable at a minimum. Now you're asking why it wouldn't. This is entirely my point - HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Answer is - you don't.

And here's where paragraphs help you understand big boy conversation.

First of all, you have staffing costs. Staff costs generally increase at a faster rate than hours worked due to overtime, union rules and industry award requirements. I'm not citing a specific park's bargaining agreement here, just speaking generally. Weekend casuals pick up some of the slack, but not always.

There's lots of other little costs that crop up during night events that aren't present during the day. The park may need to bring in or install extra lighting if they haven't, or don't usually use that part of the park at night. Special merchandise (and flashy crap) plus people to sell it. Extra security, Extra cleaning, extra maintenance, extra wear and tear... and then there's hiring in additional staging, scaffolding, PA and lighting gear for the special event stages.

But the biggest consideration by far is ride cost. Saying the energy cost is 'much less' because all the other rides aren't running is a bit misguided. Running the big 9 is the majority of your energy budget. Not running a chair swing isn't going to save you a lot of power when you're launching ToT's LIMs every few minutes.

I can't quote you every ride cost, as I simply don't know - but I do know ToT goes for about $1500 an hour, and TailSpin at about $1500 for an hour and a half for private events. (And bear in mind staffing needs at private events might differ from a 'capacity' public night).

Even if you assume a $1500 average (and i'm confident its far more) - 9 rides, running from 6:30pm to 10pm (3.5 hours) comes out a little over $47,000.

I did a little googling and found the family christmas after dark event had tickets on sale from $29.99. That'd mean you'd need to sell 1575 tickets just to cover your basic ride costs. I found a groupon style website selling park after dark tickets to another event at just $10 on top of a regular ticket. At $10 entry, you'd need 5000 tickets sold to break even - and this is just break even ride costs...

Park capacity is apparently 20,000 (which I find hard to believe), but general, full operation capacity, and night-time, reduced rides capacity is a very different thing. Cut out the wildlife area, Rocky Hollow, Wiggles World, Dreamworks Experience, and your park size is reduced substantially. You're basically trying to keep people in Ocean Parade, whilst allowing them access to giant drop and Mick Doohan - a heck of a long way from the rest of the entertainment - so let's say conservatively we stick with 10,000 capacity.

There is the potential that up to half of your total capacity is eaten in just your ride cost, without factoring in food and beverage staff, merch, entertainment, hire costs and so on. Now, you'd hope that your food, and merch teams make a profit, but if people eat before they come, or aren't interested in flashy crap, you could potentially lose money - so thats always a risk.

Bottom line is as I said before - they ran the ticket prices very lean, I presume, to attract more people to the park. Clearly the price point was too low, as they sold out and hit capacity - but what happened with the 26 May event? cancelled, and never rescheduled. If it's that profitable, why wouldn't you reschedule it?

Having said all that, the park website does suggest Park After Dark will return in late 2018 - I presume for Christmas or Hallowe'en  events - so I guess for now watch the website and await announcements...

I’m not reading your big boy paragraphs 

Hey buddy - you asked the question.

Let me dumb it down for you.

16 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Why would it not be profitable, at capacity with much less energy use than a usual day at the park. Only the big 9 rides running and some lighting and stuff.

mayB coz dey dint mayk nuff munee frum shit 2 cuva der costs

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

They probably don’t make enough to cover costs on a regular day at the park @AlexB

No probably about it, Sherlock. 

" The ASX-listed owner and operator of Dreamworld flagged losses of between $85 million and $94 million in the 2018 financial year"

You thought it would be profitable.

I suggested maybe it wasn't.

You said

18 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

it at minimum profitable. 

I asked you

17 hours ago, AlexB said:

How do you know it was profitable?

You asked me

17 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Why would it not be profitable

So I gave you a detailed answer to your question, which you claimed you wouldn't read... that's fine, it just tells me next time you ask a question, I should just ignore it, instead of trying to help you.

Also - i never said it was, or it wasn't. I suggested MAYBE it wasn't - especially when they were selling tickets for $10, whereas fright nights tickets sell for $45.

Which leads me to your fright night question....

which i'm not going to answer because you won't read it anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I’m not reading your big boy paragraphs 

10 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I did read it

Now we have trust issues. How can I trust you when you're going to lie to me like that?

10 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

you could summarise it a bit.

that was summarised.

if you insist, here's an auto summary

At $10 entry, you'd need 5000 tickets sold to break even - and this is just break even ride costs... Park capacity is apparently 20,000 (which I find hard to believe), but general, full operation capacity, and night-time, reduced rides capacity is a very different thing.

• Like 1

• rappa locked this topic