Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (Lethal Weapon Retheme)

ads086

I am sure if you are going to build something in or around a exisiting structure you would go and survey the area to find out exactly what it is you have to work with. You cannot simply go putting things in or around an object without first seeing if it is going to fit before going to the cost of installing it. Using old survey measurements would be pointless especially given how long it has been since the ride was installed. It might not seem it but the area will have changed slightly over the years and the park would want to be sure beforehand of what they are going to do. Two months might seem a long time but they are dealing with a prototype train from a manufacturer who has never done something like it before if the reports of Kumbak are to be believed. Look at BSG at Universal Singapore. The seats fell off the train and caused it to be closed for some time. This was from a manufacturer who had done a similiar coaster type before with a completely different type of train. The park is being safe and allowing a large amount of time to get things right. Are they modifiying the track layout? Who knows but if they are there really isn't much to work with space wise within the existing area due to the confined nature of the design. Personally the layout is fine. It is the trains that let the ride down severly.

It won't happen, no SLC has had its layout changed... Other coasters yes, but other than a major structural problem most coasters don't get the layout changed. Why spend millions on changing 1 or 2 elements when you can just buy a new ride? This is wishful thinking, it won't happen.

This. Modifying a steel coaster is a costly exercise, and only happens when really necessary. And it's not like the fundamental nature of the ride gets changed (Eg switchinginline twists for loops etc), more they might tweak the curvature of a problematic section: Check out this pic of the first drop of PMBO. They basically cantelievered the turn off the main structure to make it a bit wider: http://www.parkz.com...ax_Big_One.html Still the same sort of thing, just modified to make it safer/more comfortable/maintenance friendly etc. If there is any truth in new track sections for LW, it would be of this nature in IMO. It's not like we'll get a Steel Phantom/Texas Giant job in the next 2 months, thats for sure.

Seriously - please... i go away for four days and get back to this? My discussions have been split off for far less than this - split the thread, or ban the problem. it's not like its the first time, is it?

Will do. Edited by Gazza

If there is any truth in new track sections for LW, it would be of this nature in IMO.

Obviously I agree with your post Gazza, but in the regards to the above comment you made. The only reason they would make a change to LW is because of that, but seeming as LW is a Vekoma SLC I'm thinking it is a very very far fetch for it to have any structural problems seeming as there are some 39 of them around the world with ZERO of these problems.

I meant after the main brake run when it turns the first corner instead of entering the second useless brake run that used to be used when they were running two trains, they could enter an unloading station. :)

They could remove the final helix and place the brake run there and have a second load/unload platform just before the final turn into the station. I don't know much about the layout of LW so someone fix up anything if it s a major problem.

Without that helix....our model just becomes the stock-standard SLC that most parks have! D: We need that bonus helix, it's one of the smoothest parts of the ride.

And it's not like the fundamental nature of the ride gets changed (Eg switchinginline twists for loops etc), more they might tweak the curvature of a problematic section.

Yep my thoughts exactly. Remember a couple years ago LW had some type of problems with the supports. I can't remember exactly where it occurred, but i remember there were fractures in one of the supports. Wild guess, but maybe the problem has re-occurred?

From Movieworld's facebook page.

We have an exciting Easter planned with an experience straight from your darkest nightmares! This insane new experience will replace the Lethal Weapon Coaster and is sure to be a scream. Stay tuned here to know what’s coming to get you..... and it’s not the Easter bunny!

It would be nice if Movie World could do some publicity/PR with out everyone talking it down on their facebook posts. Give them a chance people! Any update sounds good to me, its been a long time coming. "Darkest nightmares, sure to be a scream, hell of a ride" all sounds like it will result in some good themeing. Looking forward to it.

I'm guessing they're doing a Corkscrew/Sea Viper and not actually replacing the ride, since they payed money for the trains and they only have 2 months. As much as I'd like to see LW replaced, with so many rides being removed by Village Roadshow I think the removal of LW would piss off a lot of people, so this is the next best thing. Hoping its a horror movie theme and not DC.

Nobody thinks the entire ride will be replaced, poor choice of words by MW there. I also doubt we will see a Nightmare/Horror theme and would think the Facebook Admin is possibly just stirring the pot he even liked a comment with.

"Maybe a "Dark Night" theme, and the new trains are the "lay down" car so you fly like a bat! It's most likely won't be but that would be cool to "fly" around the LW track laying down...lol"

There is no way that MOVIE World would theme a ride to a video game

Arkham Asylum is part of the Batman universe and has appeared/been mentioned in all of the batman movies. The ride would be based on the movies, and the role that Arkham plays (which is apparently large in The Dark Knight Rises) and the name sharing with the video game would be purely incidental

^Just on that, Licencing on rides can be a tricky business, and the specific version they use can vary, and hence how characters are depicted. Green Lantern coincided with the Green Latern film this year, but the licence MW seem to be using is the comic book depiction of GL, not the film depiction. That explains stuff like why Sinestro is depicted as being in the Yellow lantern corps in the queue theming, whereas in the film, they never got to that stage of Sinestros life. Similarly, when you ride Spiderman or the Incredible Hulk Coaster at IOA, you're seeing the comic book version of Spiderman and Hulk, not the Toby Maguire/Eric Bana depictions, and the ride logos and theming reflect this. Superman Escape...Again, the same thing. It coincided with Superman Returns, but the logos and colours used on the coaster varied from the film: 452092_det.jpg 452092_det.jpgSupermanEscapeLogo.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/SupermanEscapeLogo.jpg Or what about during the DC comics parade season a couple of years back? Notice they used the batman with the grey and yellow outfit, rather than the more modern Batman Begins costume in that parade. So Brad could well be bang on. Arkham has appeared in video games, comics and films, and each is a different interpretation. Heck, even Batman La Fuga at Parque Warner has an Arkham themed queue.

I can see it perfectly, the old LW entrance becomes the entrance to Gotham City, instead of the oriental style buildings it is now gotham city buildings, and as you get to the actual ride queue, you enter Arkham Asylum, and somehow they will then incorporate the ride into the Asylum. That is a very very very basic version of what it could be, but it really does make sense if they did it like that, and it'd be an awesome themed area....It'd make much more sense than removing the helix for an exit station (?????????).

Edited by Linus1995