Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Seriously, the water table is a problem if you require a pump running 24/7 when you are doing foundation works!

Why Is running a small pump a problem? If you look at the photos the foundations that went in where not large footers by any scale. GL has more issues I think.post-1321-0-48995100-1387327611_thumb.jp

Edited by skeetafly

I don't agree with this. You don’t know what is there unless you have carried out a soil test. Also it’s an assumption of yours that sand is unstable to build on. Where sand is a very stable material to build on because it is constant and has high load capacity. Soil is more of a problem if it is active like clay can be. I have had many engineers not wanting my work because the soil is too active. Water tables are not a problem.

I said it was harder to build one of these things a stone's throw from sea water that it was on solid foundation.

Sand has a high LOAD CAPACITY, but when constantly eroded by wind, and ocean, over time you can make mountains disappear. The fact that it was already reclaimed (see early photos of SW where it was mostly isolated lagoons and not much land) does play.

As Nitro said - the fact they had a pump running 24/7 during foundation works proves my statement - my statement was that it was HARDER TO BUILD. If you built this at Movie World, it wouldn't have required a pump running 24/7, which is therefore EASIER.

And sand that is highly water concentrated can have a quick sand effect. Sloppy sand can cause bogginess and be overall difficult to work in - so no assumptions were made, although I didn't present the facts I based my statement on, the fact remains that building a structure on SAND is harder than building it on "general" earth.

I acknowledge Clay has it's own problems, however I point out my comparison wasn't sand to clay, it was just sand to general soil.

I said it was harder to build one of these things a stone's throw from sea water that it was on solid foundation.

Sand has a high LOAD CAPACITY, but when constantly eroded by wind, and ocean, over time you can make mountains disappear. The fact that it was already reclaimed (see early photos of SW where it was mostly isolated lagoons and not much land) does play.

As Nitro said - the fact they had a pump running 24/7 during foundation works proves my statement - my statement was that it was HARDER TO BUILD. If you built this at Movie World, it wouldn't have required a pump running 24/7, which is therefore EASIER.

And sand that is highly water concentrated can have a quick sand effect. Sloppy sand can cause bogginess and be overall difficult to work in - so no assumptions were made, although I didn't present the facts I based my statement on, the fact remains that building a structure on SAND is harder than building it on "general" earth.

I acknowledge Clay has it's own problems, however I point out my comparison wasn't sand to clay, it was just sand to general soil.

Yes but you where replying to aaronm and he was talking about the cost of it. A pump would not add millions to a job.

The fact still remains that building on sand does not increase the cost of footings. You do not come across rock that often you can load on too without having to pier down too it.

With sand as you would know the use of piers would only be used to stiffen the sand but not to load. Example.

Hope Island has a water table of 1m. If I was to build a house at Hope Island my foundations basically would be a ring beam of 350X450 with a few beams though the middle. If I was building the same place say in Garden City I might have the same foundations but I would have to pier down till I reach the required kpa.

If both these dwellings where already built and a client wanted to add a floor to them I would engage an engineer to do a report on the existing footings. I can tell you now from not even looking at the reports from my 20 years in doings this that the Hope Island job report would come back saying nothing is required because sand reaches its maximum kpa straight away. Where with rock and soils the kpa keeps increasing with depth so I would have to increase the foundation to take the extra load.

Say sand gives you a factor of 250 straight away where to get this you same amount you have pier down till you reach rock with the same kpa.

The worst problem you can have with a coaster would be because of the large area is to have different soil type moving differently. Most of my work is performed on the Gold Coast and no matter how many times I explain it to people after picking up sand in there hands they can not understand how it can be such a great founding material. Water does not change the kpa of sand. If you took it to a lab and did a squash test on it the sand would not fail any earlier. One last thing is in areas that have a large amount of rock you will normally find a underground river sitting on the rock that you have to deal with.

Ok so I rode this ride for the first time this week. I was lucky enough to ride it twice with only about a 15 min wait each time.

In my opinion, I believe that for what it is... it is pretty good.overall with the splashdown being the best bit. Like Burmuda Triangle, its a great family ride.

HOWEVER I believe that it is too short. Its pretty much seems to just go up then down.

I believe it still should have been placed at the front of the park (like originally planned), which would of given the ride even greater visibility outside the park and on the other side of southport.

Using the same theme they could of incorporated a new better show building and at the end a elevator lift to get the cars up and possibly made it look like a crane (fits in with the port theme). This would have saved lots of space getting the cars up (instead of using the lift hill).

Further they could of used part of the car park for the track to go around (if wanted to); with the car park fitting into the theme nicely also.

Being also right next to Nerang River they could of better played on that ride is supposed to be at a port. This probably would of created better views/ experience for riders also.

What do you guys think?

I believe it still should have been placed at the front of the park (like originally planned), which would of given the ride even greater visibility outside the park and on the other side of southport.

You can easily see the ride from across the broadwater. Putting it in front of the park wouldn't have changed how visible it is much. The only people who would have a better view are the people driving past the entrance to the park.

Everybody, the storm coaster is already open! It looks fantastic but it is short. I saw a seven news report on the ride and it said it is Australia's most expensive ride. The theming is brilliant! It has upside down cars, smashed boats and a upturned hull of a ship that riders enter after the final drop underground and the camel hump. Inside the dark section, there is fire and water effects so it's probably worth the wait! The ride is themed to a Category 5 Tropical Cyclone that came to a shipping container port and you have to hop on a Coast Guard boat and survive the storm.

So overall a great addition and we'll just have to wait until Wild! in 2015!

Everybody, the storm coaster is already open! It looks fantastic but it is short. I saw a seven news report on the ride and it said it is Australia's most expensive ride. The theming is brilliant! It has upside down cars, smashed boats and a upturned hull of a ship that riders enter after the final drop underground and the camel hump. Inside the dark section, there is fire and water effects so it's probably worth the wait! The ride is themed to a Category 5 Tropical Cyclone that came to a shipping container port and you have to hop on a Coast Guard boat and survive the storm.

So overall a great addition and we'll just have to wait until Wild! in 2015!

We all ready know all of this. It opened 2 weeks ago.

Are all effects working yet or are there still no fire effects?

There aren't any fire effects yet, however there are geysers.

So, I finally venture into Sea World alone yesterday: I don't know how you guys do it, it is such an awkward experience alone in my opinion. I quickly made my way to the ride area to find that every single ride was suffering some sort of technical delay or another, with the Storm's opening still unclear. I sat and waited and by 10:30 Sea Viper, Jet Rescue and Viking's Revenge were all open. However, my only reason of going was to ride the Storm Coaster and after riding Jet Rescue and Sea Viper (no interest in Viking's again) I had nothing to do so I just stood awkwardly at one of the supports and waited. It had opened by 11:30ish to the delight of hundreds of people, who were all puzzled as to why the park hadn't decided to test the rides before the park opened - they had a good point. I was positioned at the back of the boat with another single rider who unfortunately and embarrassingly was too large to ride (He did carry most of his weight in the lower part of his stomach, however it never phased me that he wouldn't be able to fit, so watch out if you don't want to be embarrassed). The configuration of people on my boat was 2-1(LHS)-2-1(LHS) so the boat had a considerable lean to the left. The splashdown was completely shocking, I knew being at the back I would cop most of the wave but I didn't realise it would soak me to the point of it looking I had just jumped in a pool fully clothed (I was embarrassed to say the least).

Overall, excellent theming for the small parts it has - it definitely creates an eery feeling. Whilst it is considerably shorter than Bermuda, it is a completely different experience that I think I like better. 4.5/5

I was at Sea World alone last Monday. The line to get in was huge and I got confused to what line I needed to be in. The first ting I did when I got inside was ride the Skyway to get some shots of the Storm. They were testing the Skyway letting them go empty about 3 or 4 times before boarding (this was after 10). I was in a gondolier alone. I rode Strom twice and then the Sea Viper. Got annoyed by long lines to hire a locker at Jet Rescue so I left at around 12 and headed off to Movie World.

Movie World was bad that afternoon. I was in line for Green Lantin and they closed all outside rides due to a few clouds.(They thought there was a Storm coming but it ended up to be just a bit of rain).

Movie World was bad that afternoon. I was in line for Green Lantin and they closed all outside rides due to a few clouds.(They thought there was a Storm coming but it ended up to be just a bit of rain).

How dare they put guest safety above guest happiness. They should run all their rides no matter what the weather. who cares if someone gets electrocuted - that was just bad luck for randomly being on it when it struck, right?

No - the family would sue the park for recklessness, and they'd win, and then the park would be closed down.

The old adage - it's better to be safe than sorry.

The boat doesn't stop for the water dump anymore, you can see it dumping a few seconds ahead - maybe that's what happened?

. That's stupid. Why doesn't the boat stop for the water dump anymore? Anything that makes the ride slightly longer is helpful and it also helped make the water dump more of a feature I'd imagine

I hope that they haven't turned the dump bucket off. If people are complaining they should just put a sign up at the entrance of the ride stating that "You will get wet on the Storm Coaster, if you do not want your items to get wet do not ride or leave your items in a locker". That is a key part of the ride that makes it even better, so why get rid of it.

I hope that they haven't turned the dump bucket off. If people are complaining they should just put a sign up at the entrance of the ride stating that "You will get wet on the Storm Coaster, if you do not want your items to get wet do not ride or leave your items in a locker". That is a key part of the ride that makes it even better, so why get rid of it.

The person at the front who makes sure you're over the height restriction was telling everyone to keep all items behind because you will get wet.

I'm pretty sure the bucket effect is not removed I think they use it the effect if the ride is busy. When I have been there the ride hasn't been that busy.. Oh and p.s someone should change the name on this topic because the ride isn't under construction anymore..

Why would some guests get a better experience depending on how busy the ride is?