Alex Berriman

Worlds Tallest Waterslide being built at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City

28 posts in this topic

How will people not die? I just can't see how this will work - surely the risk of a raft toppling is rather high? Very interested in the logistics.

I'm guessing it would have something to do with whatever the black stripes are on the uphill? (If anyone could explain what they are would be great)

I'm guessing it would have something to do with whatever the black stripes are on the uphill? (If anyone could explain what they are would be great)

I'm thinking more about the initial drop.

I didn't know Kansas City was holding the Winter Olympics, in winter that thing would make an excellent ski jump. "The Bus is now leaving for Ski Beach, NSW"

Looking at the drawing, the slide is tall but not particularly steep, and the drop tapers off quite a bit before the hill. If the test dummies start flying out they can just make the walls higher...

I'm thinking the 'black stripes' are similar to what we see on hydrocoaster, and act to aid propulsion. Naturally the tube will probably make it most of the way uphill, but water doesn't flow uphill so they'll need water injection also.

And if the tube will make it up the hill on it's own, then perhaps the intention of these devices is to slow it down? - moreover to 'regulate' the speed to ensure it goes over the hill 'no faster than x speed'

I've always wanted to visit Schlitterbahn... hopefully one of our resident WnW parks will install something similar so I don't have to...

I'm still waiting for a slide manufacturer to come up with some way for riders to board a tube at the bottom, and then be carried up the conveyor belt to the top. This would be more efficient loading, and in my opinion, the conveyor belt would never have to stop...

only thing is moving parts and weight management - but i'm sure it could be done... maybe they could use the hydro coaster technology to propel riders up hill???

I'm still waiting for a slide manufacturer to come up with some way for riders to board a tube at the bottom, and then be carried up the conveyor belt to the top. This would be more efficient loading, and in my opinion, the conveyor belt would never have to stop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDJ5bfz1MQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFlfQj2R43I

Well the slide is very similar to this, so I'm worried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0vNPrWeSM

I think the uphill on the Schlitterbahn slide will be long and high enough to remove enough momentum to cause what happened on this slide, plus add on the weight of 4 people rather than 2 and it should work fine.

To be fair the camera is mounted right at the front (and it appears to be mounted high up too) so it probably is missing all the spray that will get you in the face. We need a shot with a wide angle lens so you can really see the depth of the drop. The sides of the slide here are too high to really give a full impression of the scale of this ride... or the speed.