Maintenance Schedule

WCE87

And what is that assertion based on? Tell me when DW has previously kept one of their big thrill rides closed to save costs? You can't, so don't post Absolute groundless rubbish

It's rumored that Disneyland has closed the Finding Nemo Submarine ride for "maintenance" during the off season as a money saving method (its the single most expensive ride to run and operate in the resort) - So I wouldn't put it past Dreamworld.

It's rumored that Disneyland has closed the Finding Nemo Submarine ride for "maintenance" during the off season as a money saving method (its the single most expensive ride to run and operate in the resort) - So I wouldn't put it past Dreamworld.

It's closed until September - bypassing the very busy season of summer... so I doubt there is much truth to the rumor. The attraction opened in June 2007, and is over 6 years since it opened. Just about spot on time for a large maintenance refurb period.

The materials used to make the coral and other underwater features is made primarily of coloured glass to reduce fading. I remember seeing the old subs in 1996 (two years before the original closed) and the underwater fish were extremely faded both from the sun exposure and the chlorine.

Themouseforless.com says "When the attraction reopens, guests will notice the colorful, more vibrant underwater rockwork and coral."

A member on Micechat proposed a theory of this attraction's demise based on rhetoric of poor capacity and running costs, and proceeded to expand on his theory with suggestions of what it could become. Not even a page later and everyone on the thread is talking like the subs have been closed already, and the bulldozers are moving in - they're all placing bets on what the new attractions will be, and how many of them there are.

This is why dippin dots style rumors are dangerous - and chinese whispers cause all sorts of grief when word spreads. Thankfully, our parks don't have that kind of rumor mill, and the majority of truthful info can be found here. Relying on facebook threads from kids who like to spread garbage without base or fact means they deserve everything they get.

Short answer is Nemo is ripe for a long-overhaul, and I would suggest closure to 'save money' (while keeping it closed all through summer) is probably nothing but bullshit.

It's really not unheard of for parks to close certain attractions at periods of low demand. The Epcot Wonders of Life pavilion in the years leading up to its closure and the Carousel of Progress at MK spring to mind.

Having said that Dreamworld really doesn't have that many 'E-ticket' attractions so I'd be extremely sceptical of the suggestion that they're closing it to save money. Dreamworld's operations are bad, but they're not quite at Luna Park levels just yet (give them a couple more years).

One maintenance man for all of dreamworld? What a load of crap!

I would say if they say reconstruction they are stripping the ride down to nothing, sandblasting, crack testing and re-painting every part and re-assembling with all new fasteners and 'consumable' components.

I'm not aware that the cracks were an ongoing problem, although I believe that was an issue after a lightning strike some time ago...

Things to remember about Viper is that the track is 32 years old, and it lives in one of the most corrosive environments of any coaster in the world.

From what I know and what i've heard, Management have made the commitment to keep Viper running at (almost) any cost knowing full well what the continued operation of the attraction would cost. The issues with it may require more regular maintenance. Now that we have storm, this should alleviate some of the pressure on the park and help them keep up with the preventative maintenance Viper sorely needs

Just for clarity I want to go on record that if there are in fact ongoing issues with cracks in the track (and I don't know either way), they are by no means undermining the structural integrity of the track that would render it unsafe, or the park would not hesitate to shut it down. I just feel after MBA's comments that needed to be said.

I was joking mate

I learnt long ago not to joke or have a laugh on these forums... Oldly enough people who have a keen interest in theme parks don't like a little bit of a laugh or joy...

Given the ongoing digs and comments about Dreamworld I thought your original comment screamed joke/sarcasm.

Edited by Wyncenuros