2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

49 minutes ago, T-bone said:

I'm all for calling the park out for dodgy work, however how do you know and how can you say this? Are you on the production team? Have you done an Andrewh? Regardless the project is not finished, there's no sneak peaks, and we haven't seen the finished product yet. The only bad thing we can so far say is that we now have 2 Motorsport themed areas, which is weird but honestly we have always in recent times had 2 different Motorsport themed attractions so this isn't much different.

Im all for calling them out for bad work, but really, we have no basis to yet base these claims on.

i didn't say they did a bad job. I've said they've done a sub-par job on the overall re-theme. keeping the existing queue house as is (structure wise) and not repairing the track for mine is sub-par. I don't need to sneak behind closed doors to see that. 

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

i didn't say they did a bad job. I've said they've done a sub-par job on the overall re-theme. keeping the existing queue house as is (structure wise) and not repairing the track for mine is sub-par. I don't need to sneak behind closed doors to see that. 

But the attraction is not finished, you have no idea what they are doing? In contrast it's like you are saying that Superman is a horrible ride because it wasn't repainted in its yearly refurb. Firstly, who cares if the track is repainted, it doesn't affect the ride just the park aesthetics so who cares?

Secondly as DJ said, judging a project or attraction without seeing and experiencing the final product is a stupid thing to do. Have you never heard of the saying never judge a book by its cover? Why not have a bit of faith? If they seriously do a horrible job that DETRACTS from the ride/ experience then yeah, go ahead and blast them with reasoning for your thoughts then.

3 hours ago, djrappa said:

Judging any project before its done is just a stupid thing IMO. 

It's no wonder enthusiasts get a bad rap. All I see on her lately is people wanting to criticize the parks and even have a go at members who don't. 

Cool - so lets just put a rule in place that we can't talk about rides still in development or closed for maintenance until they re-open and have personally ridden them. Or, can we only comment if we are happy? 

If you read my original post, I actually gave the park a big wrap, and have done so many times recently. I just think more could have been done in the time Cyclone been closed. Simple as that. 

1 hour ago, T-bone said:

But the attraction is not finished, you have no idea what they are doing? In contrast it's like you are saying that Superman is a horrible ride because it wasn't repainted in its yearly refurb. Firstly, who cares if the track is repainted, it doesn't affect the ride just the park aesthetics so who cares?

Secondly as DJ said, judging a project or attraction without seeing and experiencing the final product is a stupid thing to do. Have you never heard of the saying never judge a book by its cover? Why not have a bit of faith? If they seriously do a horrible job that DETRACTS from the ride/ experience then yeah, go ahead and blast them with reasoning for your thoughts then.

I'm not saying it's a bad ride though. How can I comment on the new trains when I haven't sat in them!?!? Are you actually reading my posts or are you inventing an argument? My issue (once again) is that DW has been putting a lot of effort into their theming, aesthetics, park appearance of late, and I think not re-painting the ride is step backwards from the standards they have set recently. That's all! 

I sent an email a week ago and got a reply I asked will they repaint the ride this is the reply I got

Hi Russell,

Thank you for your email, great to hear you are as excited as us for the awesome relaunch of Hot Wheels Sidewinder!

All we can say at this time is that all will be revealed on 26th December regarding our coaster's brand new look. We think you'll be stoked with the end result as much as we are!

As always, come on down regularly and see if you can't catch a glimpse of what's happening around the park. See you soon!

With Warm Regards,

Jordan | Dreamworld Reception
Dreamworld  |  WhiteWater World  |  SkyPoint

13 hours ago, T-bone said:

I think it's fair to say that there are many park enthusiasts, and I count myself as one of them, who care greatly about park aesthetics.

Edited by GoGoBoy

^but that's just it. If you go over discussion threads on Cyclone in the past, discussion always surrounding the pathetic theme, the lack of upkeep on the theme etc.

I don't think anybody has said the paint job on cyclone was crap, and it's only with the re-theme that anyone suggested that a re-paint was necessary. Now that we've figured out that they won't have the time to do it - many are crying that they didn't repaint it.. the question is was it necessary to do so in order for the theme to work?

Now - if it were a V8SC theme, or some other 'actual' racecar story, i'd say yes. but hot wheels track isn't black with white lines. it's colourful. Is it the colour of the cyclone track - no. but does it really matter?

One could argue that my hot wheels track was yellow, with blue supports, and consequently the two yellow 'rails' of the track fit perfectly with the hot wheels theme. (granted the supports aren't the same blue but it wouldn't be hard to fix)

hotwheels.jpg

My main point is - if a re-paint was Soooooo necessary because it looked filthy and was really affecting the aesthetics of the park - where were all the fanboy complaints before the refurb was announced?

My searches revealed this topic: http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/topic/6863-cyclone-beginning-of-the-end/#comment-109042

and most people say all it needed was fixing the theme, fixing the queue, and replacing the train. I believe Dreamworld are in the process of doing that - although it waits to be seen what fixes they can do with the queueline...

On 12/13/2015 at 7:17 PM, T-bone said:

The only bad thing we can so far say is that we now have 2 Motorsport themed areas, which is weird but honestly we have always in recent times had 2 different Motorsport themed attractions so this isn't much different.

That said, it is worth mentioning that Movieworld has 2 superhero themed areas.... the Gotham City cafe, complete with Gotham Hall & Batmobile/Batbike is fairly distanced away from the rest of the DC rides & area. It has been that way for years and they have done very little to change it. So Dreamworld isn't alone in that sense.

6 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

I think it's more of a general feeling that when they go to the effort of replacing trains/doing whatever to upgrade/extend the life of a ride, a repaint would go a long way towards making it feel like a complete revamp. 

Yes some bright, vibrant track colours to match the bright, vibrant new toy-themed train I thought would have been a no brainer on DW's part. The current pale yellow & blue just doesn't quite cut it in that sense, sadly.... :(

8 hours ago, OceanGirl said:

That said, it is worth mentioning that Movieworld has 2 superhero themed areas.... the Gotham City cafe, complete with Gotham Hall & Batmobile/Batbike is fairly distanced away from the rest of the DC rides & area. It has been that way for years and they have done very little to change it. So Dreamworld isn't alone in that sense.

All they would need to do is reopen Chinatown Alley, and suddenly Gotham Cafe could be linked to Arkham, to SE, to JL and GL. Chinatown Alley could be rethemed to something Gotham - that way you're walking through Gotham from Gotham City Hall to the Arkham Asylum... not that hard.

I totally agree with everyone that a repaint would have been nice, and solidified the new theme well (no matter what colour they went with). Orange (i'm sure Sea World has some left over from SeaScrew) would have worked well as many hot wheels track sets are orange... what i'm trying to say though is that few people (if any) complained about the paint job prior to the Hot Wheels announcement. The only complaints were theme, train and queue - and we know they've changed 2, and it waits to be seen whether the third is done also - put simply - they've fixed everything that we on here have complained about - and instead of going 'awesome - they fixed all those things we complained about' - we simply move onto something else to complain about?

Perhaps there is a repaint in the works - but perhaps with the weather (it is storm season) and the approaching summer season, they didn't have the time. Maybe they're repainting after the Xmas holidays, and we'll see a new colour rise up in February?

I think Rappa is right (over on the DH discussion) that many of us can never be pleased and must always have something to complain about. Right now i'm just keen to see what a new train can do to the old girl - and hopefully it gives the coaster a new lease on life for years to come.

I do agree with your comments Alex. 12-18 months ago I wouldn't have been so pedantic about them doing a 'complete' job, and been happy that we got something improved on some level. I guess in my mind the refurbs especially around their dining options have been top notch recently so I wanted/wished that standard to continue as they moved along with new attractions and/or renewals. 

Adding onto Alex's comments - a repaint probably wouldn't add too much time to a maintenance season for the ride, they could easily have plans for the future, but they've decided to work on the more important matters first and get the ride open to the public quicker. Remember, they've also got the other parts of the area to work on to, it's not like the wipeout where that was the only thing they were doing.

Edited by Santa07

Totta, next time can you please clarify whether something you post is official or made by you? It's becoming a bit of an unwanted trend...

And with the paint job, I feel it's something that would be liked but not necessary. A nice new coat could like nice, but it's not out of place. I feel it would be necessary if they changed the Cyclone to something a bit darker in theme. Bright colours on Hot Wheels feels natural, but on Arkham Asylum?