VRTP Renewals

Brad2912

I think he meant that the theme park social network guy didn't know it was closed on that particular day.

"she" meant lol ;)

And yeah... my point being that the TPSN was posting stuff like this up on their FB yesterday.... 

image.thumb.jpg.b0320d184683671910b930be

...when it clearly wasn't the case, as they weren't making passes yesterday and turning people away. So obviously the guy behind that FB page had no idea ?

"she" meant lol ;)

And yeah... my point being that the TPSN was posting stuff like this up on their FB yesterday.... 

image.thumb.jpg.b0320d184683671910b930be

...when it clearly wasn't the case, as they weren't making passes yesterday and turning people away. So obviously the guy behind that FB page had no idea ?

That is the danger of running a Facebook page.  You can never presume what was true yesterday is true today (unless you are in the park).

It's about time VRTP got themselves better cards - the previous ones were cheap and nasty.  My favourite would have to be Adventure World's pass.  They don't even have a picture on the card - you load one up when you initially sign up and it is displayed on their monitors when they scan the card at the park.   

How's this for bad luck.... as I mentioned in my last post, we went to Movieworld last week on my day off work to pick up our new passes, but they told us to come back another day as they weren't making them that day. We came back from Brisbane via train late yesterday afternoon around 4pm, figured since we were in the same suburb we would drive to Movieworld and pick them up, as the park was still open for another hour.

So all four of us walked all the way through the park up to the Membership center, only to find the counter (no staff around) and with a sign saying that it was CLOSED. AGAIN. Couldn't believe it!!! And the park was still fairly busy at that time, so rides were out of the question.

So I decided to drop into Guest Services on the way out and had a bit of a whinge, just over the fact we had come in twice now to pick up these new passes we have already prepaid for and yet every time we have come in, the damn thing is closed. I had previously also seen it advertised as being open from 9.30am-5pm, yet here it was 4pm and it was shut. They apologised and gave me a card to call them on to check in advance next time round that it is open so we don't waste another trip.

Anyway, they felt really bad for us that we had come in again on one of my days off work and yet the membership center was closed again, and the park was still super busy (last time we went in to get the passes it was crazy busy with 1-2hr waits, so we didnt get to ride on anything anyway lol) so the lady we were speaking to generously offered to give us VIP express entry on a ride of our choice, so the drive down wasn't a complete waste of a trip again. My daughter got excited, she loves Scooby Doo and missed out the last couple of times due to long waits, so yeah why not... it's very generous of them.... we'll take the offer :)

The lady walked us up to the Scooby Doo exit and through the shop to take us in.... and guess what.... the roller door was down. People were exiting everywhere. The bloody thing had JUST BROKEN DOWN :lol::lol::lol: So no Scooby Doo ride for us, and it was getting too late to go to any others (it was like 4.45pm by this time). Anyway she took our names down and said next time we go in, to go into guest services and they will arrange the express entry for us.

Dammit. Talk about a bad run of luck, eh? Hopefully we will get our new passes one day :rolleyes::lol:

Yeah I was in the park yesterday afternoon and went into the 'bank' to get my unlimited pass at about 3:30 and it closed (maybe a sign you can read from the door and not just a piece of paper on the bench maybe a good idea...)

also picked up my free Paradise Country annual pass - which to my surprise has Green Lantern as the backing? Can they not organise a stock image of, I dunno, a sheep? 

It also amazed me that the new vip magic passes have the same GL backing - lets keep promoting the ride that's been closed for months (not complaining about the closure, just the stupidity in the art/marketing department

Lol Brad, yeah I remember thinking the exact same thing when we picked up our VIP Magic passes last month. They would be kicking themselves over the decision to put the Green Lantern coaster on the back of them! Can only assume that decision was made well before the ride zonked out in March? They probably had a large wad of them already printed up by then and therefore too late to change it :lol:

What do the new membership passes have on the back of them I wonder? I'm guessing no Green Lantern, hahaha :P

And yes I completely agree about the signage issue with the Memberships center. So it was actually closed as early as 3.30pm yesterday? As the people in Guest Services claimed it closed at 4 <_< Meh. Pretty slack on the MW's part if you ask me... I mean not only being peak school holiday period atm, but the fact that it's a brand new promotion and everyone is in the process of purchasing/upgrading these new passes.

They should be open for the entire time the park is, not closing up early or only printing the passes on specific days :rolleyes:

Email from VRTP yesterday outlined the following:

• Members only portal
  • savings on Movie tickets
  • discounts at David Jones
  • fuel discounts at Caltex and Shell
  • grocery discounts at Coles and Woolworths
  • (plus heaps more)
  • 12 months unlimited entry to MW, SW & WnW
  • for a little extra ($3) per month, one free entry to FN, WC and Carnivale (Carnivale really needs an abbreviation on these boards!!!)
  • for even more (another $3 per month - total of $15 per month) includes all the above PLUS unlimited entry to WnWS
  • The email links to the themeparks.com.au box office where it also says benefits include special pricing when booking holidays (presumably with Sea World Resort)
  • The site also includes the following table as an example of the discounts available:
    CategoryAverage Discount
    Groceries & Fuel5%
    Health & Beauty10%
    Travel30%
    Site & Sound10%
    Outdoor and Leisure15%
    Sport & Fitness10%
    Restaurants15%
    Beer & Wine5%
    Clothing15%
    Movie Tickets

25%

It also includes the following:

IN-PARK MEMBER BENEFITS

As our most valued visitor, members receive great discounts during visits to our attractions. Members can simply contact our friendly contact centre on 13 33 86 or at any in-park sales location to take advantage of these great discounts.

• 10% off Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World and Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast single day admission tickets for friends and family

• 10% off premium Prime Burger Combo in-park

• 20% off full price Australian Outback Spectacular show tickets (excluding Friday and Saturday night shows)

• 20% off Paradise Country single day admission tickets (entry only)

• 10% off full price Sea World Animal Adventures (excluding holiday and peak periods)

• 10% off full price Sea World Helicopter flights (excluding holiday and peak periods)

• 10% off full price Sea World Whale Watch tours

• 10% off Sea World Resort room only rates (excluding holiday and peak periods)

• 10% off Unlimited Ride Photo USB

• 10% off Flowrider at Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast

• 10% off SkyCoaster at Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast

That's about as much as I can find...

> Hard plastic card (same as you would get from your bank)  - done

> Unlimited entry to MW/SW/WnW for 2 years from the date of purchase - unlimited for 1 year from date of purchase

> 15% Discount of F&B purchases in the parks - 10%

> 10% discount on photo products - done

> Early entry (30min) to the parks - didn't happen

> 1-2 rides running 30 min early for passholders - didn't happen

> Some kind of birthday bonus (discounted entry for friends or something) - no mention of it, but maybe

How much would I be willing to pay for this? Probably around $300 - To get your monies worth, you'd simply need to visit each park once, and one twice, or the same park 4 times over 2 years. That's not even counting the savings in-park. - and that's ended up being cheaper than what I would happily pay. Shame they didn't take on my card design idea :P Only took them 2 years.

Upgraded in park today. I definitely think the slightly higher fee in 12 months time might catch a few off guard.

The card design is very simple - it's only printed on one side with no artwork on the back. I love the idea of in-park discounts, but shame there wasn't a discount on F&B and retail as a whole.

The "external" discounts are interesting. I don't know how much use I'll get out of them if I have to keep buying gift cards in advance. The 10% DJs voucher is probably the best value (the rest seem to be 5%).

The $10 upgrade is too cheap, but will probably be worthwhile in 12 months time when everyone is suddenly paying an extra $3 a month for the privilege.

The prices are ridiculously cheap. The parks have dug a hole for themselves. No one realises the value they get in their unlimited/VIP passes and it has just become the standard. You saw this when people blew up on facebook about WnWS's season ticket price. It was still very good value, but the market has just been saturated.

I think though that this is a very good way at increasing the prices without 'bill shock' like in previous years.

Yes - everyone's been conditioned to a $99 price point...

Now - the pass is $108, or $144 with the night events included. Consider last year's passes included the night events at $99, they've already got people paying $45 more per year for it - and little to no uproar or complaints about it... when you break stuff down into a 'per month' price, it seems less of a difference...

Gate: "$9 or $12 per month?"

Punter: "Screw it i'll pay the $12 and get the extra benefits - it's only $3 per month!" (Extra $36 per year)

And they've already told everyone that the price will go up for next year... that's a whole YEAR for people to adjust to the new price point...hardly something a person will whinge about when they've known about it for a whole year... they're already paying $144, next year more.... it's BRILLIANT - and the perfect way to dig themselves out of the hole they've found themselves in.

Plus, they've incentivised paying upfront by offering a month free if you do - just like pay by the month insurance - it costs less if you pay upfront...

(Also - given the T&Cs, I foresee that VRTP will get at least 13 months out of everyone who pays by the month - by virtue of the "30 days notice" "after the first 12 months" Most people will miss providing notice early enough and be bound to pay the extra month... not that I can see many people cancelling that quickly.)

I reckon we'll soon see passes rise back up to the ~$300 mark, which with all the inclusions is still excellent value.

Edited by AlexB

I'd be very interested to know the psychology behind advertisng it as '$9 a month' instead of '$2 a week'

$2 * 52 = $104

$9 * 12 = $108

Plus then you've got merchant processing fees on 52 payments instead of 12... I know it's percentage based, but since they're using an external payment provider, the provider may also charge per transaction...

The psychology of it would likely be much the same - it's still a dramatically cheap price be it $2/week or $9/month... far less than $108 or $144

I think though that this is a very good way at increasing the prices without 'bill shock' like in previous years.

Yes - everyone's been conditioned to a $99 price point...

Now - the pass is $108, or $144 with the night events included. Consider last year's passes included the night events at $99, they've already got people paying $45 more per year for it - and little to no uproar or complaints about it... when you break stuff down into a 'per month' price, it seems less of a difference...

And they've already told everyone that the price will go up for next year... that's a whole YEAR for people to adjust to the new price point...hardly something a person will whinge about when they've known about it for a whole year... they're already paying $144, next year more.... it's BRILLIANT - and the perfect way to dig themselves out of the hole they've found themselves in.

Ok, I can see that now. Maybe people aren't as dumb as I thought.