Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

Ouch. Coaster wheels do delaminate quite regularly, but they're not supposed to break away from the car.

The last time I can think of that happening was on Steel Dragon 2000 -- and that ride was closed for years.

I really hope they get to the bottom of what happened here and quickly; I thought Green Lantern was a fantastic ride. It was/is significantly smoother than most of the other El Locos and the soundtrack is great.

Edited by Noxegon

I was at the park today and went on the ride at about 12. Went down to WWF and Scooby, came back and saw the crane. Walked towards the enterance and saw all the fire engines, police, ambulance and staff telling people to not stop and look and to just keep moving. They did act very quickly and I'm they would have done the best they could to ensure that the riders were safe. Well done to MW and rescue services.

You make a good point, a Steel Dragon was closed for a very very long time and I would imagine we'll see the same here.

A company with such stringent standards and which prides itself on safety as much as Village Roadshow wouldn't even think about re-opening the ride until the exact cause and way to prevent this incident is known.

If I were Village Roadshow or S&S I think I'd be calling the lawyers. Work Cover will do an investigation into how this happened undoubtedly, and I suspect that if it's found that the prescribed maintenance has been followed to the letter, then S&S will be hit up by Roadshow to cover costs to fix it - in a similar fashion to how Qantas sued Rolls Royce after the A380 incident in Singapore.

There are signs as you queue for rides such as this, which clearly say that it may on rare occasions stop mid-ride.

It happens. No big deal.

I'm not playing it down either. It must have been quite unpleasant for those stuck on the ride. But we're talking about a machine. They're not perfect, and occasionally they go wrong. That's precisely why the engineers build in lots of redundant over the top safety measures to ensure everyone is safe when these things happen!

In the not so distant past, the only people who would have known would be those who were on the ride, the management and staff, and the emergency services (and to me it looked like there were a lot more of them than really needed, which certainly created the impression things were a lot worse than they really were.

Anyway folks. Nothing to see here. Move along now!!!

I certainly won't let this put me off going on the Green Lantern. I will however take a closer read of those warning signs next time I go on.

Little tip. Always ensure you use the toilet before going on a roller coaster, because you never know for certain how long you'll be on it! :)

Terrible day for Movie World as well, apart from everything else they lose a ride for a reasonable time period, which is about the last thing they need.

Having said that, if they were going to have a ride out of commission, Green Lantern is probably the best one but being down 1 will just emphasise the big weakness of the park.

There are signs as you queue for rides such as this, which clearly say that it may on rare occasions stop mid-ride.

It happens. No big deal.

I'm not playing it down either. It must have been quite unpleasant for those stuck on the ride. But we're talking about a machine. They're not perfect, and occasionally they go wrong. That's precisely why the engineers build in lots of redundant over the top safety measures to ensure everyone is safe when these things happen!

In the not so distant past, the only people who would have known would be those who were on the ride, the management and staff, and the emergency services (and to me it looked like there were a lot more of them than really needed, which certainly created the impression things were a lot worse than they really were.

Anyway folks. Nothing to see here. Move along now!!!

I certainly won't let this put me off going on the Green Lantern. I will however take a closer read of those warning signs next time I go on.

Little tip. Always ensure you use the toilet before going on a roller coaster, because you never know for certain how long you'll be on it! :)

Lol I think your missing something here

Push button, your missing ALOT.

Those notices are in regards to the occasional e-stop.

This is no occasional e-stop. This is as far as I am aware the most serious safety event/concern on a ride in Australia, ever. If the sign said "riders beware ride components may fail whilst onboard' I don't think many would be riding.

On another day that train could have come completely off the track. It was not a secondary safety system that stopped disaster.

You can't minimalize it.

Lol I think your missing something here

I'm not, but thanks for your concern. As usual people on this forum seem to feel compelled to pick holes in whatever others have posted. Why on earth can't we all just get along and have a friendly and respectful conversation about something (theme parks) we obviously all love?

I'm not, but thanks for your concern. As usual people on this forum seem to feel compelled to pick holes in whatever others have posted. Why on earth can't we all just get along and have a friendly and respectful conversation about something (theme parks) we obviously all love?

Fine, why do you think this is the same as every other estop?

Yes, there's the Ghost Train disaster at LPS. Big Dipper derailment at LPM injuring ~20. Consider also the various incidents at the state fairs/shows. There's the Arthurs Seat chairlift in Melbourne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthurs_Seat,_Victoria#Chairlift.

Plenty if you look.

Links to the others by any chance? I haven't heard of them.

The only one I can remember is the Wipeout style ride at the Adelaide show that fell apart.

Again Skeetafly. I only visit this forum because I enjoy visiting the wonderful theme parks in the Gold Coast. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I've finally moved here!

I do NOT wish to have silly arguments with people I've never even met, who (I would assume given that they're on a forum like this) also love theme parks!

So please don't try to engage me in an argument, or a "who's right?" sort of discussion. Not interested!

Again Skeetafly. I only visit this forum because I enjoy visiting the wonderful theme parks in the Gold Coast. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I've finally moved here!

I do NOT wish to have silly arguments with people I've never even met, who (I would assume given that they're on a forum like this) also love theme parks!

So please don't try to engage me in an argument, or a "who's right?" sort of discussion. Not interested!

But he didn't. He simply asked you to clarify your initial post.

Links to the others by any chance? I haven't heard of them.

The only one I can remember is the Wipeout style ride at the Adelaide show that fell apart.

Sorry, it was the Scenic Railway rather than the Big Dipper at LPM. There's a mention of it here: http://melbourneforeveryone.com.au/city/st-kilda/theme-parks/luna-park/

Airmaxx 360 - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/adelaide-show-visitors-tell-of-problems-with-airmaxx-360-ride-from-which-girl-8-was-fatally-flung-from/story-fni6uo1m-1227057829956

Probably plenty more on Google.

I just asked you a question.

Very true. However, there are places where this is supposed to happen, namely the block brakes. That's why many coasters have evacuation stairs and platforms at these locations.

No big deal.

Actually, this is an enormous deal. This failure dropped ride parts on the ground and caused the car to stop and tilt sideways in an unintended location.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned QF32; that's a good comparison to this incident, where a major failure had the potential to end very badly. Only good luck (and in the case of Qantas considerable skill) prevented that.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if all El Locos worldwide were shut down until they figure out what happened to this one.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if all El Locos worldwide were shut down until they figure out what happened to this one.

I wouldn't be so sure. Even in the case of QF32 the grounding was not an immediate thing, at least not outside Qantas. Instead they quickly got to a hypothesis and asked operators to carry out specific checks which indicated there was a wider problem.

Really? I've never heard of another occurance of a ride train being partially and close to completely derailed 35m up in the air. When did something worse occur? (not including the Ghost Train disaster at Luna Park)

What about the Spin Dragon accident at the Adelaide show where the whole Gondola fell off?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/spin-dragon-a-risk-for-years/story-e6freo8c-1111112630409

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW