Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

The large steel structure next to the old TOT pod looks a bit weird. i'm sure it isn't, but the only thing I can think of is that it's a 'shipping frame' for the new pod - but it doesn't make sense that it would be shipped with so much steel - anyone got any ideas where it has come from? it doesn't look old...

WWW is fully operational if anyone is interested, will keep everyone posted if there's any more info,

24 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Damn, you beat me to it :P

Hopefully the rides have been evacuated ok if they don't have power.

the power outage happened before the park opened, I found this comment on DW's post about the outage which made me chuckle a bit ;) image.jpeg

UPDATE: apparently power has been restored and all attractions are working, and park is open till 10pm even if you don't have a ticket to tonight's Screamworld

Tiger Islandimage.jpeg

TOT2 and GD out of action at the moment 

Edited by Theme Park Ninja

On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 6:49 PM, T-bone said:

With the stand near the Tailspin, my memory is of it being a snack stand (the old park maps also show a Knife and Fork at the location),

Ahh, thought so! Thank you :)

---

Alright; so, here's my update for the week. [Sunday 28/08]

Note: This week photos are 1024x768; higher resolution available upon request

Tiger Island Update:

Rockwork-work is well underway... except the photo is upside down even though it's the correct orientation on my device.

DSCN4442 (1024x768).jpg

When I said construction hadn't started on the Sumatran enclosure, it could be for good reason. There is a high chance this enclosure isn't even being built. I have no confirmation from tiger island staff, but an inside source is still a source. (But I doubt that they're not going to build a cub enclosure, so I'm a little torn on the information I was given.)

DSCN4437 (1024x768).jpg

Railings have been installed.

DSCN4438 (1024x768).jpg

Some detailing has been added as shown by the photo below.

DSCN4436 (1024x768).jpg

The photo I shared last week of the façade work. The shop façade (facing towards the actual island) has started construction, however, because there were many people I couldn't get a shot of it for you all.

General Update:

@AlexB Is this what you were referring to? Looks like the storage track that the pod would've been sitting on in storage. (As for where it came from, could've been made in house, or used to ship the ToT cart over 6 years ago)

DSCN4408 (1024x768).jpg

More bits and pieces have come and gone, the most movement I've seen in the graveyard in the past 21 weeks that I've been visiting the parks. - but here is another photo of the pod which appears to have been slightly moved over since last week.

DSCN4409 (1024x768).jpg

Giant Drop East was off this week, and no progress on the entry.

DSCN4435 (1024x768).jpg

Tree Kangaroo Enclosures should be open within the next two weeks. (Based on estimates, basically just cleaning to go)

DSCN4422 (1024x768).jpg

Apart from the ground ^ - This enclosure appears to be complete.

DSCN4421 (1024x768).jpg

The enclosure below has a little bit more work to be done.

DSCN4423 (1024x768).jpgDSCN4424 (1024x768).jpg

I don't understand why they painted parts of this blue. Its ugly and it stands out.

DSCN4440 (1024x768).jpg

and just like last week, Here is a photo of an unused F&B outlet (It's probably open during Christmas/Summer - but I don't think it was open for the latest holiday periods).

DSCN4439 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by ThemeTendo
Removed unnecessary additional photo

regarding towards a Cub Enclosure being built on TI the closest Cub Enclosure you going to see when TI reopens is the Cub Kindy that's in Ocean Parade,

Tiger Cub Kindy is going to stay as it is and it will be apparently be utilised for future Cubs to use, the current tiger cubs will move onto the main island when it reopens

here's ThemeTendo's photo corrected to be the right wayimage.jpeg

Edited by Theme Park Ninja

1 hour ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

regarding towards a Cub Enclosure being built on TI the closest Cub Enclosure you going to see when TI reopens is the Cub Kindy that's in Ocean Parade,

Tiger Cub Kindy is going to stay as it is and it will be apparently be utilised for future Cubs to use, the current tiger cubs will move onto the main island when it reopens

here's ThemeTendo's photo corrected to be the right wayimage.jpeg

10 hours ago, themagician said:

In regards to the tiger cub enclosure. I'd say it is planned, but they won't start construction for it until it's required.

It just seems a little counter productive, when you have this all new area, but as a guest you have to venture out of the area to visit the cubs (that many are likely visiting for) but I hope that magician is right in saying that they will construct it when it's needed; because they definitely have the space for a decent enclosure.

As for Cub Kindy, it is great while TI is closed, but it doesn't fit in with Ocean Parade when TI is open. Because then it's like the motorsports rides, we have Bikes over in this part, but there is also the dedicated Motorsports Experience on the other side of the park.

^Yeah I agree, despite Cub Kindy making great use of the space and they did a great job with putting it together, but once TI reopens I hope they remove it and don't use it for future Cubs. It'll be strange to have two seperate tiger areas, and the artists impression drawings for the new Cubs area looked great, so I hope they build it at some point.

13 minutes ago, themagician said:

Something I noticed on my visit to DW this morning was that the cameras that were attached to gondolas on GD have been removed. Does anyone know when that happened?

Likely within the last two weeks. (Week 1: West Gondolas were off; Week 2 (This week just gone): East Gondolas were off)

Surprise claws in Durie’s latest landscaping contract at Gold Coast’s Dreamworld

index&t_product=GoldCoastBulletin&td_noGallery=true&td_device=mobile
Emily Selleck, Gold Coast Bulletin
35 minutes ago
index&t_product=GoldCoastBulletin&td_noGallery=true&td_device=mobile

JAMIE Durie’s landscaping gigs don’t usually leave him with tiger scratch marks but it’s not every day you get to design Tiger Island at Dreamworld. 

“When I got the call I hung up the phone and yelled, ‘We’re building a tiger garden’ to my whole design office,” Mr Durie said.

“This project is really close to my heart because it involves conservation, preservation and sustainability.”

Mr Durie said he went to “extreme lengths” to make sure the turf was perfect for the tigers.

“This is the extent we would go to for elite athletes,” he said.

233464cdcbf6af5e33907a5f60a13c95?width=650Tiger Island landscape designer Jamie Durie, right, has gone to extreme lengths to make sure the turf was perfect for the tigers.

“The secret to a good lawn is good drainage and access to oxygen and nutrients.

“When we brought it (the turf) in we made sure it was semi-washed so we weren’t bringing any pathogens (and) when the tigers run, coursing into the turf, it will re-establish itself in record time.”

The project, set to open on September 16, has been in the works for more than a year.

“Theme parks of ‘yesteryear’ would think more about attendees than the habitat,” he said. “But we’re not creating a show, we’re creating a wildlife for these animals.”