Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

8 minutes ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

wasn't there a White Water World expansion that has been approved for many years? perhaps that could be a replacement for both TCK and Zombie Evilution 

Am I reading this wrong or are you suggesting they stick some water slides in the middle of Dreamworld?

7 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Am I reading this wrong or are you suggesting they stick some water slides in the middle of Dreamworld?

what I'm trying to say is that they could use that area and turn it into a expansion to WWW. The two latest slides that WWW added,  The Wedgie and Triple Vortex have kinda proven that they need more room to add more slides in the future as they have been on pre-existing towers and have proven that they are running out of space as well, hopefully that made more sense.

Edited by Theme Park Ninja

50 minutes ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

what I'm trying to say is that they could use that area and turn it into a expansion to WWW. The two latest slides that WWW added,  The Wedgie and Triple Vortex have kinda proven that they need more room to add more slides in the future as they have been on pre-existing towers and have proven that they are running out of space as well, hopefully that made more sense.

But what about this purple void? 

Screenshot_20160918-100757.png

2 hours ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

wasn't there a White Water World expansion that has been approved for many years that never happened? perhaps seeing that Zombie Evilution and TCK isn't going to be utilised a lot anymore that could be a replacement for both attractions? just a suggestion

Yes.

The expansion was to include a lazy river and new waterslide tower boasting new water slides, I'm not sure what the slides were now but they were going to do an expansion.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but maybe someday. :D

I had an update all typed up and my internet dropped out as I tried to post it... so yay, attempt #2!

Tiger Island

While at a glance the area looks complete and really great. It's actually very incomplete with bits and pieces everywhere. I definitely think the island is a massive improvement though. I just wish everything we thought was coming would be open and complete.

The entrance and The Lair

DSCN4750 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4751 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4752 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4859 (1280x960).jpg

The merchandise outlet; Tiger Bazaar

DSCN4758 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4856 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4857 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4858 (1280x960).jpg

edit: When you walk into the store you are welcomed by a very strong scent. Usually parks hide the source, but Dreamworld likes to make things obvious... (for safety reasons I'm sure, but still)

DSCN4854 (1280x960).jpg

DSCN5001 (1280x960).jpg

DSCN4777 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4776 (1280x960).jpg

The Food and Beverage outlet; Island Noodle Hut

DSCN4763 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4847 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4848 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4850 (1280x960).jpg

DSCN4839 (1280x960).jpg

The unfinished and unopened bathrooms...

DSCN4852 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4778 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4785 (1280x960).jpg

Paint details...

DSCN4796 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4797 (1280x960).jpg

The themed seating is so much better than just plain rows of concrete.

DSCN4798 (1280x960).jpg

Even one of the lizards came to check out the island.

DSCN4823 (1280x960).jpg

Unfortunately Dreamworld could not afford Jamie Duries advice for this final bit of gardening.

DSCN4836 (1280x960).jpg

DSCN4842 (1280x960).jpg

These fences are held together with zip ties, I'm sure that'll keep any idiots out of the enclosure.

DSCN4844 (1280x960).jpg

Tiger Cub Kindy

I wonder how long it'll stay like this... more than 1 year? I think so. (Well, maybe just the enclosure, not necessarily the shop and ZE building)

DSCN4868 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4869 (1280x960).jpg

General Update

Giant Drop entrance tlc is complete.

DSCN4738 (1280x960).jpg

Blue Lagoon is no longer visible... is this just a means for hiding the past or the future?

DSCN4734 (1280x960).jpg

Tree Kangaroo enclosure has been completed.

DSCN4897 (1280x960).jpgDSCN4898 (1280x960).jpg

Oh and I found the Bat Cave!!!... or Bat House but close enough.

DSCN4904 (1280x960).jpg

The horse drawn carriage that was once found near the Rapids entry has returned as an accessible 'attraction' for guests.

DSCN4740 (1280x960).jpg

Edited by ThemeTendo
Added more text

Just to clarify information about Stage 2:

The second stage of the precinct opening by Christmas will include

•    a new Sumatran Tiger habitat to showcase Dreamworld’s three Sumatran tigers and the park’s contributions to the Sumatran Tiger Global Species Management Program
•    A world class lair for Dreamworld’s non-contact tigers
•    A children’s crawl through tunnel and strategically placed windows in the lair and Sumatran Tiger habitat enabling guests to safely experience being face-to-face with a tiger
•    enhanced guest experience areas 

Mr Davidson said he expected the park’s popular tiger photo experiences and tiger presentations to start by Christmas once the tigers had settled into their new home.

And if anyone is interested or doesn't know, here is everything that opened today as part of Stage 1:

Australian designed and built, the first stage of the new Tiger Island opening this Sunday includes:

•    world-class tiger exhibits and conservation areas with leading animal husbandry facilities
•    landscaping by international designer Jamie Durie and his team at Durie Design
•    improved viewing areas including a covered stadium seating 500 people
•    splash pools with underwater viewing to see the tigers swimming
•    leading audio visual facilities for tiger presentations 
•    new themed shopping and dining outlets
           o    Island Noodle Hut – where guests can savour the tastes of Asia including sumptuous noodles and modern bites overlooking Tiger Island 
           o    Tiger Bazaar – filled with tiger-themed merchandise including soft toys, clothing, gifts, homewares, DWF merchandise and lots more
•    a dedicated undercover corporate events space seating up to 250 people

I'll do a proper review later on, but I must say, Dreamworld really need to invest in some of this stuff.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/brands/c/croc-grip

They managed to do it with the stairs at the front of the park, they really need to do it on Tiger Island. 

Who really thought that rounding off the edges of the stairs and painting them with slippery paint and having a very badly slippery ground was a good idea?

I saw 4 people slip over on the stairs today and one person slip over on a ramp and require medical attention. Not a great look for opening day. I'd like to think if I went back in 1-2 weeks that this would be rectified though, otherwise I'd have to strongly recommend you avoid using the stairs in the rain and elderly people should avoid it all together in wet weather. 

Anyway it's not all bad news, the area looks great. 

Not sure if this is new, but with the reopening of TI, something seems to have popped up on the bottom of the list.

Edit: there's a few other things to take away from this. 

> There's only 1 log left in Rocky Hollow, and it's no longer a ride. You can just queue to look at a log. 

> DW don't know what their "Escape To/From Madagascar" ride is called. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by reanimated35

I checked out Tiger Island, and Im really really impressed with the area. I even noticed that the ceiling of the food outlet wasn't completed either. Despite this and a number of things not being completed, it will be even better once completed. I love tigers, so to see this great facility for them and guests was great.

IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_5531.jpg

IMG_5532.jpg

IMG_5535.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

1 minute ago, ashhole157 said:

Better themed than I expected from DW.

That's is a such a ridiculous statement. Seriously.

when you look at everything DW has executed theme wise in the past 2 years, what is there to complain about?

dough bros

ice creamery 

Brock museum

even back to abc4kids world & Dreamworks

theming as been great and really added to the areas. 

2 hours ago, ashhole157 said:

Better themed than I expected from DW.

bsbear.jpg

DW, historically, has a reputation for good theming, since the days of Eureka and Rocky Hollow the theming has been good on literally almost everything. Pre-2015 Cyclone, Wipeout, Tower of Terror (both versions), Giant Drop, Dreamworks (and Nickelodeon before that), Claw, Buzzsaw, and the countless new restaurants and themed areas added since then are some examples where DW got it right on theming (despite 90% of said theming then deteriorating quickly because DW has traditionally done poorly at maintaining theming, then getting an update which endures the same cycle again).

This isn't Six Flags.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX