Man hospitalised after falling out of Dreamworld Log Ride

12 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

What would a recording of it do anyway to help DW?  By what I have read, they are not looking at going after DW for the idiot ending up in the water but for how long he spent in the water before help arrived.  That’s what I’m getting from it anyway.

That's probably all they have to run with in this case, since they obviously can't sue Dreamworld for their client's obvious negligence toward following basic ride safety procedures.

Edited by Theme Park Girl

4 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Quick! How can we blame someone for our own stupidity?!

Where's a flower bed to fall off when you need it?

EDIT - as themagician says, is the water even deep enough for the logs to pass over him? And if they did pass over him, he would have had to be submerged for a good length of time - during which time, wouldn't he have drowned?

Edited by djmcbell

We went a couple of months ago (just after the holidays) during the annual shut down period for the log ride. Like viking at seaworld, and to a lesser extent, wild west at movieworld, the trough is less than a few feet deep, you could easily walk through it.

22 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

It lands for me like the general public think that there should be an emergency stop button that's able to grind every carriage on a ride to a holt at any point in time during the ride. I dunno, I guess I have pretty opinionated views on this, I think it's a safe bet Dreamworld would have CCTV of the incident and emergency procedures in place (including reponse times to incidents) just so they can satisfy the State's safety requirements to open the ride in the first place. Knowing so little of what really transpired I guess it's all up for speculation, I honestly feel like TLDR, this guy got butthurt (figuratively and literally) when he did something genuinely ill-thought out to impress his mates and now he has someone in his pocket telling him there's money to be had from this kind of situation, because that's the day and age we live in.

Edited by Slick

Would love to hear some opinions on what this guy is claiming in the comments...

https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastbulletin/posts/10153668428747358?comment_id=10153668450022358&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22}

Needless to say, I am at a loss here because he claims that "every media source" has reported that the victim has disabilities and that I should "google it". Yet I've done exactly that and can't find a single news story that mentions such a thing :/

23 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Would love to hear some opinions on what this guy is claiming in the comments...

https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastbulletin/posts/10153668428747358?comment_id=10153668450022358&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22}

Needless to say, I am at a loss here because he claims that "every media source" has reported that the victim has disabilities and that I should "google it". Yet I've done exactly that and can't find a single news story that mentions such a thing :/

Just read it and posted my response...  As I said I specifically googled man injured on log ride disabled...  Results speak for themselves...

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=man%20injured%20on%20log%20ride%20disabled

Yeah, so call me a stalker. I call it light detective work whilst I am bored at home on a bloody cold sat arvo ?? But one only needs to do a quick search for the victims name on FB to see that the guy in question definitely does not appear to be disabled or in need of a carer. According to his profile he works at a fitness company.

And yes, it's definitely the same bloke, because his mum has conveniently made public 'that's my son who was in the log ride accident' posts :rolleyes:

So, that coupled with the fact that not one source of news has mentioned any disabilities, I'm not convinced in the slightest that it wasn't the result of an act of recklessness and stupidity. 

I'm confused...

17 April

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said a male person of an unknown aged somehow ended up in the water at the theme park.

The spokesman said the man sustained facial grazes, was hypothermic and had ingested a bit of water.

27 May

Sugath Wijedoru, of Littles Lawyers, said the firm had begun investigating the incident that left Samson Sherrin, 19, with hip and foot fractures, neck and head injuries and acute respiratory failure.

Mr Wijedoru said the Southport man also suffered pneumonia as a result of the time he spent in the water.

So do we believe the Queensland Ambulance spokesperson who was response for, or worked with the team responsible for treating the man on the day, or do we believe the lawyer who's looking to make money from this?

Or is the lawyer claiming that the medical professionals didn't notice all the other injuries until he was hired? 

On 5/28/2016 at 4:12 PM, Theme Park Girl said:

I'm pretty certain there were mentioned of some disability even on this thread not long after the accident, although clearly the searches done by several indicate otherwise...

23 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

I'm confused...

17 April

27 May

So do we believe the Queensland Ambulance spokesperson who was response for, or worked with the team responsible for treating the man on the day, or do we believe the lawyer who's looking to make money from this?

Or is the lawyer claiming that the medical professionals didn't notice all the other injuries until he was hired? 

QAS speaking on scene wouldn't necessarily identify fractures - they don't have Xray vision. Fractures may have been identified once he went to hospital and had proper scans of the relevantly injured areas. 

Neck and head injuries = facial grazes

Acute respiratory failure can occur if a person aspirates water. It's why the Bondi Rescue guys tell people to go and see a doctor if they've swallowed sea water.

I'm not saying it doesn't sound ridiculous, because it does, but medical language sounds way more serious than plain-speak. The QAS officer naturally will speak plainly to media who will commonly mis-quote when technical jargon is used (I'm looking at you GCB).

The lawyer may be exaggerating a little, but essentially what the QAS officer said and what the lawyer claimed are pretty much the same thing (minus the fractures which of course can't always be determined on scene).

Try this one: "The victim suffered contusions to his arm and lacerations to his legs. Rhinorrhea was identified, while paramedics also had to assist with removal of cerumen from the ear. Epistaxis followed lachrymation, whilst the victim complained of paraesthesia to his fingers."

The guy had a bruise on his arm and a graze to his knee. He had a runny nose, and ambos removed earwax from his ear. He got a nosebleed from crying so much, and had pins and needles to his fingers.

12 minutes ago, AlexB said:

QAS speaking on scene wouldn't necessarily identify fractures - they don't have Xray vision. Fractures may have been identified once he went to hospital and had proper scans of the relevantly injured areas. 

Fair enough on the rest, I just would have expected something more along the lines of

"The spokesman said the man sustained facial grazes, was hypothermic, had ingested a bit of water and was complaining about hip and foot pain".

Having fractured my wrist, fingers and toes, it seems to be the kind of thing you notice pretty well straight away. Maybe not to diagnose the issue, but to at least mention it when someone asks you "do you feel pain anywhere". 

On 28/05/2016 at 4:36 PM, Wyncenuros said:

Just read it and posted my response...  As I said I specifically googled man injured on log ride disabled...  Results speak for themselves...

Lol, I read your response yesterday. Good call ?I just went to check it again to see if our mate Chris had responded, but can't find that chain of comments at all now. Seems he has deleted his original comment? Or maybe he has blocked me for having a different opinion (wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes:) who knows <_<

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Certainly not.

Weird. I was reading a discussion where someone was asking if someone had died on the log flame at Seaworld and the other person responded saying that was at Dreamworld

On 19 April 2016 at 0:09 PM, skeetafly said:

The problem with the word disability is the word is overused.   I hate the word really but as most people know I don’t believe in political correctness.  I prefer people to say what they think.   Funny thing is the video that was only posted up a little while ago about DW being to tuff of disabilities. 

What video are you referring to?