DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

If Movie World does build a hyper/mega, they have a great marketing opportunity. Market it as 'Tallest, Fastest, and Longest' in a flashy TVC. They don't specifically need to state that it's the 'tallest, fastest, longest full circuit roller coaster in Australia. Just leave off the full circuit bit. They wouldn't be lying but using marketing to draw people in from all over Australia, maybe even more abroad.

They would need to emphasise the 'full circuit part' if it breaks a record for speed & height in full circuit rollercoasters as we do have Tower Of Terror II just down the road as 'the fastest & tallest rollercoaster in Australia' and that's not a full circuit rollercoaster.

They don't need to emphasise the 'full circuit' part if, of course, MW's new rollercoaster ends up being higher than 115m in height & travels faster than 161km/h.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Definitely say longest. But i think they will incorporate comparisons in their marketing, like "30 kmh faster, 20 metres taller then superman"

Anyway im sure if its a hyper,  people would believe its taller then TOT in person, especially as the chain hill looks to be built so close to the car park. It would be a sight to be seen, people thought green lantern looked tall and scary, they got a big storm coming!! ??

Edited by Ryande16

1 hour ago, Ryande16 said:

Definitely say longest. But i think they will incorporate comparisons in their marketing, like "30 kmh faster, 20 metres taller then superman"

I wouldn't be so sure. The last thing you would want to do is cast dispersions towards what has been your flagship for 12 years. You don't want people regarding it as the poor cousin to the new kid on the block. Superman has earned its reputation as best in it's category by many, and many would also say best in the country. I wouldn't want to leverage marketing off that sort of reputation - it can flop in so many ways.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

I wouldn't be so sure. The last thing you would want to do is cast dispersions towards what has been your flagship for 12 years. You don't want people regarding it as the poor cousin to the new kid on the block. Superman has earned its reputation as best in it's category by many, and many would also say best in the country. I wouldn't want to leverage marketing off that sort of reputation - it can flop in so many ways.

Then they should make comparisons with HWSS at Dreamworld ?.  Haha nah im pretty sure they know what their doing.

14 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Anyway im sure if its a hyper,  people would believe its taller then TOT in person, especially as the chain hill looks to be built so close to the car park.

I think people will know it's lower than TOT II. An 119 metre high tower vs a 61-91 metre high rollercoaster - TOT would still be considered higher in everyone's minds.

11 hours ago, rac2703 said:

They could make speed comparisons with Superman Escape in other ways though - e.g. "There is only one thing faster than superman, The Flash Coaster coming December 2017" or something along those lines. 

Who is faster? The Flash or Superman? :P

10 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

I think the announcement timeline you had @Jamberoo Fan is on shaky grounds now.  I can't see MW wanting to put their name in the headlines or wanting any attention.

Yeah, I believe that to be the case too.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

7 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

All this talk about advertising is reminding me a lot of Superman Escapes "trendy" advertising campaign.  

f*** that brought back some good memories!

I remember being in year 7 and always jumping on movieworlds website at school and watching the ad's for Superman, than jumping on to Roller-coaster.com.au;) to check out all the constrution photo's

I'd argue that the large majority of the general public, hell i would go as high as 90%, don't consider ToT a roller coaster anyway. 

If you asked them what's the tallest roller coaster in Australia, most would try and pick an answer from their brain from a choice of SE or AA

GCB report 

Warner Bros Movie World theme park’s next attraction to be a 200-foot tall ‘hyper coaster’

index&t_product=GoldCoastBulletin&td_device=mobile
ANDREW POTTS, Gold Coast Bulletin
32 minutes ago
index&t_product=GoldCoastBulletin&td_device=mobile

A PLAN to build the Gold Coast’s tallest thrill ride – more than 60 metres high – will have to pass stringent new safety checks before work can start, following last week’s Dreamworld tragedy.

Movie World’s next attraction is expected to be a “hyper-coaster”, a large-scale variant of the traditional roller coaster which will either have a height or drop of more than 60 metres and would be the nation’s tallest.

c278ffbadd148b6cace4b82ef274bd46?width=650Vaughan, Ontario, Canada - July 26, 2014: People riding the Leviathan rollercoaster at Canada's Wonderland amusement park

It will be the first new attraction to come under the State Government’s safety blitz on theme park attractions, announced last week after four people were killed on the Thunder River Rapids Ride.

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland experts have to assess and approve plans for the new ride before work can start.

260f3a159224e037243a6e36f3cd86ed?width=650This photo provided by Cedar Point Amusement Park shows the Valravn, the new roller coaster that's opening to the public on Saturday, May 7, 2016 at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. The roller coaster has already broken records. It's now recognized as the tallest, fastest and longest dive coaster. Picture: Jordan Sternberg/Cedar Point Amusement Park via AP

The safety blitz will primarily focus on older rides and will include the Gold Coast’s other parks, as well as Australia Zoo and Aussie World on the Sunshine Coast.

Helensvale-based company Alder Construction has advertised for subcontractor and supplier pricing for the new Movie World project, beginning yesterday.

The project is expected to be open within a year and is one of several multi-million new attractions planned for the park, including a $35-million golf facility, hotel and new carpark.

3205a3e98981d2da44f55e37b14f6a25?width=650Imagine staring down this drop — This is the view from the top of the Goliath Hyper Coaster at Six Flags, Illinois in the US.

Construction is expected to be a matter of months away, with avid theme park watchers already snapping photographs of crates at the park from German roller coaster manufacturer Mack Rides.

Mack is the company responsible for another Movie World attraction, the Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, as well as Sea World’s Storm Coaster.

7be4e28a79c81873590050cc5639ed60?width=650Movie World is a hive of activity with construction occurring near its front entrance. Picture: Richard Gosling

Village Roadshow yesterday failed to answer questions about the attraction including when it will open, or when construction would begin.

“Warner Bros. Movie World is looking forward to making an exciting announcement in the near future,” a company spokesman said.

Riding a Hyper Coaster

The new project would eclipse Movie World’s tallest coaster, the Superman Escape by at least 21m.

In September, a development and building application was filed with the Gold Coast City Council for a “themed entertainment, ride and retail outlet” at the park.

The online Roller Coaster Database lists plans for a steel-structured, sit-down “extreme” roller coaster.

7255398cad18110762227fdf9219dd8f?width=650The front gates of Movie World are set to have plenty of extra patrons passing through it, with a series of new attractions planned for the park.

The Bulletin understands representatives of the theme park have met with the council to discuss plans for the park.

In June, plans for a $35m golf attraction with US entertainment company Topgolf were unveiled, with the facility set to open in late 2017.

Spanning 6ha (15 acres) of land next to Movie World, Topgolf will be in the same precinct as the hotel and lake precinct and is expected to attract an extra 500,000 people a year.

Village Roadshows CEO of Theme Parks Tim Fischer in June said the company was planning an announcement of “significant gross capital cost” for the park.

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I'd argue that the large majority of the general public, hell i would go as high as 90%, don't consider ToT a roller coaster anyway. 

Yeah, I know - Given advertisements have to be accurate, I was just pointing out MW would have to take into account TOT II and include 'full-circuit' if promoting any rollercoaster records involving heights lower than 119m in height & speeds slower than 161km/h.

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

If you asked them what's the tallest roller coaster in Australia, most would try and pick an answer from their brain from a choice of SE or AA

When the real answer (for full-circuit) is actually Buzzsaw :P (Yeah, I know it is pretty much just a loop but it is full-circuit).

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland experts have to assess and approve plans for the new ride before work can start.

If that is the case, work would be halted as work has begun due to receiving DA approval, which would involving assessing and approving plans.

“Warner Bros. Movie World is looking forward to making an exciting announcement in the near future,” a company spokesman said.

This is what they said recently. If the 'November 20 at the latest' announcement date I predicted comes & goes (which is very likely given the Thunder River Rapids incident), I would have to leave a predicted announcement date as 'near future' or at least early March 2017, which was the SE-linked date in my timetable for the 1st teaser (construction fence advertising).

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic