Race a Rama
Cars4kids
 Fantasy Cups
Mini Trucks Convoy
Red Barron Ride.
Jumbo Flying Elephants
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Very dissapointed this year with the ride lineup. It's always just the same rides... They should start investing in some different ones. We now have 3 swinging rides!

With any luck not one of three will kill anyone 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

The Ekka does not own the rides. People pay a lot of money to have their rides there. Also I believe this will be the first time the Beast has come to EKKA.

I did the math in an old Ekka thread and can't find it just yet but it's bloody expensive to run a ride at the show, hence the high prices per ride. 

35 minutes ago, Reanimated35 said:

I did the math in an old Ekka thread and can't find it just yet but it's bloody expensive to run a ride at the show, hence the high prices per ride. 

Also take a look at why Perth Royal show is going down hill and we have lost a lot of rides in the last 2 years. Extremely high rent prices and bad weather resulted in ride owners not wanting to take a ride across the country and gamble with breaking even. I have worked at the PRS and one of the ride operators told me for a bumper car ride they needed 40,000 riders to break even.

Edited by Tim Dasco

Yeah, IMO its pretty fair what most operators charge for their rides, especially when you see the cost involved. The owners have to pay for fuel to get to the show, rent (which can be extremely costly), insurance and of course, the ride itself. The Beast I believe was around $6 Million AUD. And of course, it all comes down to the weather and the dates of the show. The operators at the Sydney show this year had a pretty good run, as the weather was really good (other than a couple of days where it rained) and a large portion of the show was in the School Holidays. 

Not sure if anyone knows, but have any more travelling rides come into the country this year? (Other than the Beast of course).

3 hours ago, Glubbo said:

ABC Brisbane's Brekky host Craig Zonka and a listener got to ride The Beast, pre-Ekka opening.

Ignore his reaction, he's "not a ride guy", and focus on the ride itself. Looks fast and powerful. If I make it to the Ekka, I'm certainly going to ride it.

Does @HussRainbow87 appear in the video?

I rode the ride at the Sydney Easter Show earlier this year, it was an intense ride but extremely expensive for what is essentially a travelling version of The Claw.

29 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Its funny how Freak Out was getting ignored because everyone was just riding Beast in preference.

Even though both rides perform the same basic movements (a rotating gondola on the end of a swinging pendulum arm), IMO the Freak Out and the Beast deliver very different physical sensations and ride experiences.

I enjoy both equally, for different reasons. When rides are $10-$20 a go, it makes sense for people to spend their money on the bigger, taller, meaner looking one.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

Since nobody with media passes is posting OC here are some photos from my visit yesterday.

Image may contain: 1 person, crowd, sky and outdoor

Turn up at opening if you want a couple of hours before it turns to this. The food pavillion was great when it was quiet. 

Image may contain: food

$2 mini hot dog. Major events need more cheap impulse items like this. The dog had a bit too much resistance in the skin, like biting a water balloon.

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

The Beast. This was gross.....It spun a bit too fast to be comfortable and went on a bit too long, I'd had enough by the end.

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

I kind of rode this on a whim. Whatever happened to the orginal travelling flume ride, Splash Canyon? 

Image may contain: outdoor and water

When there is a dish in the sink and you turn the tap on too fast.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Show bags these days are a rip....The worst example I saw was a $5 smiths chips bag, and it only had 5 bags, and 2 of those were multipack size...That aint no deal.  But Bertie Beetle is still only $3 so they got my money.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Besides running and swimming, is there a simpler sport?

Image may contain: food

Hundreds of children pressing their noses on the glass admiring the lollies = this.

No automatic alt text available.

A large sign promoted butter sandwiches, and as I understand it, it is another one of those institutions, but it was just an normal sandwich in a very large sealed celophane bag???

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Powered coaster = didn't ride.

Image may contain: outdoor

Gravity coaster = did ride. +1.

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

I didn't go in here.

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

The nice old museum building set against one of Brissys throw n go apartment blocks. I read in the paper they want to chuck some $$$ at restoring it, they should for sure!

Image may contain: food and outdoor

I didnt realise fruit arranging was a thing, but it is, and I was impressed.

Image may contain: bird

Cool haircut.

Image may contain: bird

Image > Adjustments > Desaturate

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

The Sky Flyer was probably the pick of the bunch. They really have squezed the ride line up, something is wrong if a zipper or a kamikaze/hangover is not available. I reckon the grassed area north east of the main rides bit could have a lot more squeezed in https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Royal+Queensland+Show+-+Ekka/@-27.4492029,153.0316859,115m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b9159ee83be3665:0x7240c8cae799f9ab!8m2!3d-27.450817!4d153.0326265

I dismissed this as being the poorer cousin of Beast, and then upon inspecting this photo I realised this one has lap bars. Oh well, I'd done enough (1) spin and spews at this point.

This was taken from the "star of the show" ferris wheel, which is good because the gondolas are cylindrical and have a pole in the middle you can spin like a tecups ride, so you get an ever changing view.

SUPERGIRL and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics. (s17)

Also why did they paint her with lazy eye?

Image may contain: one or more people

Award winning carcasses.

• Like 2

Great TR. The Freak Out is an amazing ride with the lapbars, however if you didn't enjoy the Beast, you probably wouldn't have enjoyed that either, as it does a hell of a lot of spinning! As for Splash Canyon, that's still operating at an Indonesian amusement park or carnival I believe. Either that or it got scrapped. 

Also, anyone know who owns that Dragon Wagon? 

Edited by Wil_i_am_not

44 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Since nobody with media passes is posting OC here are some photos from my visit yesterday.

Some of us have to work and sleep haha. I have 1700+ photos from a day and a bit to look through and find the one that just maybe is in focus. Will post soon. 

This is the only edited one so far though.