DC Rivals HyperCoaster - soft open discussion

joz

Well... DCR in torrential driving rain is something... 3 mins of what feels like needles or small pebbles being blasted into your face is kinda memorable yet painful. Physically couldn’t see as you couldn’t really keep your eyes open

thanks to the slow loaders in the car awaiting departure, the 2 mins in the brake run got everyone to ‘drowning’ levels of wet.

backed it up immediately with a backwards run, which thankfully negated the eye needles and was a heap of fun 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the local council member.

We have had a couple of emails from local residents regarding the ‘brightness’ of feature lights atop of the new roller coaster at Movieworld.

From a City Planning perspective Officers from Development Compliance have advised the new roller coaster is defined as “a Tourist Attraction and is an accepted use in the Major Tourism Zone in the City Plan, as such there is no development approval or conditions relating to the roller coaster that can be used to enforce any perceived amenity impacts or light nuisance from the structure affixed to the top of the roller coaster”.

In addition Officers also advised “...like the “Green Lantern” ride lights, the lights do not meet the definition of ‘advertise’ in the local law, which includes the use of any temporary advertising device or permanent advertising device for the sale or exposing for sale, or for the purpose of publicising any matter. They are lights on a roller coaster, which we do not regulate”.

Finally, a Senior Enviromental Health Officer attend one complainants property and “...measured light pollution at a bedroom window from the sign at the top of the Hypercoaster. Max 1 lux light spill observed. No observable nuisance based on this reading...”

PS no noise complaints logged (yet) regarding screams from guests riding the roller coaster upside down / backwards...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

I have said it before and will say it agian. Don't move into a house near a theme park and complain about lights and noise. Unless they have been there since before the park was built they have no reason to complain.

Like those idiots that bought new apartments near the Story Bridge Hotel and then complained about the noise.

Have people ever heard of curtains? The only time that the light is going to be an issue is if you're doing astronomy from your home. I've got a streetlight outside my house, is that an issue worth getting the council to come in and take measurements for?

On 11/7/2017 at 11:31 AM, Skeeta said:

“...measured light pollution at a bedroom window from the sign at the top of the Hypercoaster. Max 1 lux light spill observed. No observable nuisance based on this reading...”

1 lux lmao, that's the equivalent of standing a metre away from a candle. If your curtains can't block that then it's time to buy new curtains.

On 11/7/2017 at 11:31 AM, Skeeta said:

no noise complaints logged (yet) regarding screams from guests riding the roller coaster upside down / backwards...

Strangely I didn't seem to hear people screaming much at all on this ride. I know certainly the first time I rode it I couldn't make a noise on the drop it just blew me away that much. Also noticed that on every train usually only one or two people will have their hands up through the elements, I guess this coaster really is something else for most of the Australian public.

• 3 weeks later...

Clearly an unauthorised vid - looks like he may have had the chesty fitted under a shirt or something, and then set it to record as he was going up the lift hill... the fact that he stopped the recording milliseconds after hitting the brake run is also a dead giveaway.

I've heard that this seems to be happening a bit on DCR as nobody wants to walk the lift hill to retrieve the item - anyone seen this \ know of this happening?

4 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

At MW now and in the single rider queue currently for DCR. 

Interesting to note that regardless of the groups in the regular queue line - row 10 is always given to 2 people from the single rider queue. 

Interesting...  Unless they started this today...  Stood as the front person in the single rider queue for 8 cycles as there were no seats left vacant from the general queue...

There has only been one train for the last week or so...  So I doubt that is the reason...  Perhaps it is just the individual staff members preferring to run it this way...  Would be interested in knowing what the procedure actually is or if there even is one and it is left up to individual staff discretion...  Imagine getting the staff today and then heading back later with different staff who don't do that...   

From what i've seen, they like to keep the SRQ moving, and try to get at least a pair in each cycle or two. If there aren't any odd groups in the main line to require a single rider, they let two from SRQ in last. 

They didn't specifically put them into row 10 (at least not while i was there) but if general queue chose to line up at row 10, they'd push them to whichever row was vacant... its just that most sheeple tend to fill from the front, back - leaving row 10 the last to fill.

19 minutes ago, AlexB said:

From what i've seen, they like to keep the SRQ moving, and try to get at least a pair in each cycle or two.

I need to start going on the same days as you...  Have never seen this happen...  It has always only been used to fill the odd spot left...  Even to the point they get 2 groups of 3 to fill 3 rows to fit a group of 2 into a row instead of using 2 single riders...

I've noticed that it comes down to the staff member. Some staff only take people from the single rider queue if they absolutely have to, while some staff will pretty much take someone from the single rider queue every train. The first time I went on it, I went through the single ride queue and ended up waiting longer in that queue than the main queue (About 45 minutes). Well the second time I went in the single rider queue, the queue was the same length as the first time, but I was only queued for 10 minutes (Normal queue was about 60 minutes).

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Maybe it’s due to there only being 1 train running? But literally just watched about 10 cycles plus mine and that’s how it was loaded 

Operated like that during the soft open when 2 trains were running and a dedicated operator lining people up for the rows.  Would always take 2 for the last row essentially and more if there were odd groups.  Very single rider friendly.

How many ride operators?  There were four loaders, one allocator and one person pre-queue to check height etc when I was there in September.  Plus I guess one in the booth.  Not cheap top operate but a good operation-I mean I guess they could squeeze it down to 2 where they had 6-just two people loading and one of them forced to allocate people and also load.

With 1 train running it's normally 2 staff + the supervisor in the control room. Load 1 on the far side of the platform and load 2 does the sorting as well whilst the ride is in operation. Sometimes they will have a entry host as well depending on the day. Rivals only seemed to run 2 trains for a few weeks before going down to single train operations (with lines of a hour mind you...) When it's running 2 trains I would say they would need to only bump up to 3 operators, two loaders and a sorter and I guess an entry host as well if they want. 

Any suggestions for a new topic name?

See I disagree with this Single Rider practice. 

Single rider is a gamble, you don't get to get on every cycle, that's what the main que is for. 

Sure if no SR seats come up in a few cycles let a couple on, and then back to waiting. That's kinda Disney practice.