2021 coaster openings

Gazza

2021 coaster openings  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you most excited to try?

• Big Dipper
    • Leviathan
    • Steel Taipan
  2. 2. Which do you think will end up being the best?

• Big Dipper
    • Leviathan
    • Steel Taipan

Leviathan for sure. The view of Sea World from across the broad-water is genuinely exciting again, and I think it'll be both a real fun ride while also being incredibly unique.

Big Dipper is also going to be exciting in it's own way. So many folks (myself included) have suggested for years that something like a Raptor-style coaster would absolutely kill it at LPS, so to have that dream turn into reality is pretty awesome too.

Steel Taipan... there's so many pros and cons to this project that I feel like Homer with the Frogurt...

Dreamworld finally getting it's first genuinely great full circuit coaster! Yay! But it replaces an entire themed land with (based off the tender files on Parkz) arguably meh theming and no real concious long-term view of how that will integrate into the rest of the park's flow management (let alone how it integrates with Buzzsaw). Yikes! But, people say these Blue Fire clones kick arse! Yay! But, with the triple launch feature, they're not shortening the now un-necessarily long launch section, which really mucks up the pacing of the ride as a whole. Yikes! But, we're finally getting something comparable to Rivals! Yay! But, will it be too similar in the public's eyes? And is it too little too late, and has there been to much closed and SBNO that the penny may drop come December that the coaster is simply not enough to turn Ardent's fortunes around and have they finally burnt out the last remaining goodwill they had with the public? Yikes!

• Like 4

Leviathan is going to be great. For this country to have another high-quality wooden coaster is about time. In looking forward to this mainly for the nostalgia. 

Sure, the views will be great etc but you really won't see much of the views while getting thrashed around the track. 

Big Dipper 3.0. This one has my attention. Not because it'll just be in my backyard, because it's a truly unique world first right here in my backyard. While in worried about capacity issues I gotta remember the oars daily attendance is nothing like the GC parks. 

I hope leviathan runs two trains on busy days tho. I say this thanks to operations at MW on some busy days. Capacity is a big and important thing such a new coaster of this kind needs to deliver. The theming I ain't holding my breath about either. 

With LPS I hope they use two trains also on busy days. I am not expecting great theming anything tho apart from the entrance to the queue line. Unfortunately for this coaster, it's going to be about the experience rather than its location. 

• Like 1

I'm most excited for Big Dipper, I've always wanted to see the day when LPS gets a new world-class coaster, and it'll be an hour away from where I live! I'm also very excited for Leviathan and Steel Taipan, but thanks to COVID and me being a paranoid bitch, I don't think I'll be leaving NSW anytime soon.

Big Dipper is obviously going to be the tamest of the three. It'll be a 30 second ride which is quite slow, although it'll have some exciting elements and will look great from below. With Steel Taipan, I have to agree with @Slick. It looks great but the pacing looks meh. Leviathan is going to be the best ride IMO. It's going to be fast paced, it'll have a good layout and we've needed a modern woodie in Australia for years (though the two we currently have are still great rides and very unique). 

• Like 2

I'm honestly curious how the spinning cars will be received. Backwards is one thing and Village now have that market down but could spinning be too much for some people? (inb4 gp screaming "they killed people, i'm not letting them throw me around in a spinning coaster") 
I'm excited to try it because i'm an insane masochist and i'll try anything once. I guess that comes down to how the spinning is handled since Mack have a few different options for the spin.

Edited by Jdude95
  • Like 2

On 31/01/2021 at 5:48 AM, Jdude95 said:

I'm honestly curious how the spinning cars will be received. Backwards is one thing and Village now have that market down but could spinning be too much for some people? (inb4 gp screaming "they killed people, i'm not letting them throw me around in a spinning coaster") 
I'm excited to try it because i'm an insane masochist and i'll try anything once. I guess that comes down to how the spinning is handled since Mack have a few different options for the spin.

I'm keen to try them out (like you said, at least once). Smart move on Dreamworld to include them not only as a point of difference but as a nice little revenue raiser. Having said that, i'd be keen to see how Rivals' backwards seats have faired in terms of meeting expectations with revenue. Methinks some off-peak/peak pricing for these kind of novelty seats will do well.

Edited by Slick

On 30/01/2021 at 3:03 PM, StingRay said:

Sure, the views will be great etc but you really won't see much of the views while getting thrashed around the track. 

The best thing about woodies is the usually suspense building slow climb of the lift hill, and in this case, the slightly faster turn around at the top before the first big drop. There will be perfectly adequate time to enjoy a view west as you climb, south as you reach the top, west as you turn, and north right before you plummet. Its a great thing to distract nervous riders from the drop, and i think the views will be better from Leviathan than any steel coaster they could have put there.

11 minutes ago, Slick said:

I'm keen to try them out (like you said, at least once). Smart move on Dreamworld to include them not only as a point of difference but as a nice little revenue raiser. Having said that, i'd be keen to see how Rivals' backwards seats have faired in terms of meeting expectations with revenue. Methinks some off-peak/peak pricing for these kind of novelty seats will do well.

Honestly it blows my mind that since opening, the rivals backwards seats have actually gone UP in price, and while i've almost always seen someone riding backwards whilst waiting in line (and done it myself a couple times), but I do see backwards seats dispatching empty more often than not.

18 minutes ago, Slick said:

MW should do 1 for $15, 2 for $20 or something, especially off peak.

• Like 2

The one I'm most interested in is Big Dipper because of the uniqueness of it....I've got no idea what a single rail coaster is going to feel like and the RMC ones look wild at least.

I think Steel Taipan will end up being the best. Leviathan will be good but I'm worried about the roughness complaints Mine Blower had as soon as it opened. 

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

It’s a hard choice, probably Leviathan for me as a brand new woodie is always worth getting excited for.

No doubt Steel Taipan will be a great ride, the blue fire layout is very very good, especially the final inversion which always seems to come as a surprise.

Big Dipper is a bit of an unknown, looks good on paper but Intamin prototypes can be very hit and miss. Hopefully it’s at least as good as an RMC Raptor.

All three will be worth a visit, 2021 is an excellent year for new rides in Australia!

Hey guys, long time since I've posted on this forum (not since I was a stupid kid in high school). But 2021 is shaping up so well that I was excited enough to dust off the old account again.

Seems like I'm more excited for a different coaster every day I think about it. I think Steel Taipan might end up being the best coaster. Never ridden Blue Fire or any of its clones but it looks like a fantastic layout, and Mack Rides are fantastic. It's only Dreamworld's delivery that has me worried for it.

I was too young to ever experience Wonderland so obviously I'm hyped for Leviathan. A proper wooden coaster has been on the list of things I think Australian parks needed for years now.

That being said, Big Dipper is also a world first, and even forgetting the fact that it's launched and Intamin, RMC's Raptors are fairly new on the block as well, so it's quite a unique coaster that seems like it will fit in well with the new developments. I'm excited to see how it will go, and it's a bit of a wildcard since I don't have much to compare it to that I've already ridden.

Overall, I think the only thing I'm sure on is that Aussie World's new coaster is a clear fourth, and that's no reflection on it, because it looks like it'll be a decent spinning coaster as well. Today I'll be hyped for Big Dipper, tomorrow it'll be Leviathan... it's just a great year to be an Aussie coaster enthusiast, really!

• Like 5