Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

11 hours ago, jjuttp said:

It honestly looks like an old picture of the Storm/Bermuda building during demolition.

Based on what appears to be the superman building directly behind it, i'd say thats the arkham entrance facade and they've kept that part up (and possibly, plan to keep that part?) to hide Oz from Superman

12 hours ago, Ogre said:

Where exactly is that? Old station?

The little building outcrop on the right is the old AA station. Lift hill would have been just out of shot on the right.

51 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

and possibly, plan to keep that part?

From what I can gather from the render, that's all staying:

ED4F4A49-4D3A-47D6-92FD-A84BA075A2C6.jpe

That outcrop is the black slanty roof (much technical) just to the left of centre. No idea what they're planning on doing with it though?

55 minutes ago, franky said:

The little building outcrop on the right is the old AA station. Lift hill would have been just out of shot on the right.

From what I can gather from the render, that's all staying:

That outcrop is the black slanty roof (much technical) just to the left of centre. No idea what they're planning on doing with it though?

Could be wrong, but could it be the station for the SFC450?

On 28/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, Levithian said:

[snip]
A lot of people have this mythical vision of what the studio tour was. There was very little attraction in the studio grounds itself, you had a fairly basic props/wardrobe display you drove past, and maybe a few remnants of set pieces from movies shot there, but the bulk of the tour was in the theme park. All the movie magic stuff was in the sound stage building that now houses superman escape. 
[snip]

You're missing that one of the sound stages was actually used on the tour full-time. From memory there was a set in something like an old American mansion, with a staircase. Two guests were selected to dress up and act out a scene, the one I remember was a lady was being pursued by a male villain. He catches her at the top of the stairs, where he turns and evilly laughs back at the audience/camera. 

To me, this was not in the same sound stage as the sound effects for Lethal Weapon, Superman Green Screen, and Memphis Belle motion control cockpit. 

On 22/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, franky said:

[snip]

The Royal Palace of Oz (Green Palace) looks to be in the same spot as the Lethal Weapon preshow room where you watched a car chase/action scene. This room was bypassed when it was rethemed to Arkham Asylum. I believe this was often used in the Halloween events as well. Does any part of that building still stand, or will they/have they raze it completely and start the Palace from scratch?

Edited by Whombex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whombex said:

The Royal Palace of Oz (Green Palace) looks to be in the same spot as the Lethal Weapon preshow room where you watched a car chase/action scene. This room was bypassed when it was rethemed to Arkham Asylum. I believe this was often used in the Halloween events as well. Does any part of that building still stand, or will they/have they raze it completely and start the Palace from scratch?

Never rode it as LW, but is this the building you're talking about?

image.thumb.png.8999699dd3468f20fb0b897ab41c90ad.png

Looks like that one is still there too (behind the site sheds), infact they all still seem to be standing, with just the facades being demolished:

On 15/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, Brendo88 said:

8E5B3D50-D6F2-4AEC-A544-42ED5D49B5CF.jpeg

And it looks to still be there in the new render (its the building underneath those lighthouse things.

..at least that's my interpretation

On 25/11/2022 at 10:21 PM, Whombex said:

You're missing that one of the sound stages was actually used on the tour full-time. From memory there was a set in something like an old American mansion, with a staircase. Two guests were selected to dress up and act out a scene, the one I remember was a lady was being pursued by a male villain. He catches her at the top of the stairs, where he turns and evilly laughs back at the audience/camera. 

To me, this was not in the same sound stage as the sound effects for Lethal Weapon, Superman Green Screen, and Memphis Belle motion control cockpit. 

I think the sound stage sets you're talking about didn't remain the same the whole time... I don't remember this mansion set, but I do remember an alien space ship type set (where they used polystyrene meat trays as panelling on the walls) and I also remember the Riddler's Lair set, which used a bunch of scanners (lighting) with Question Mark gobos on rotate - a bit like this IIRC

Batman Forever (1995)

10 hours ago, franky said:

Never rode it as LW, but is this the building you're talking about?

image.thumb.png.8999699dd3468f20fb0b897ab41c90ad.png

Looks like that one is still there too (behind the site sheds), infact they all still seem to be standing, with just the facades being demolished:

And it looks to still be there in the new render (its the building underneath those lighthouse things.

..at least that's my interpretation

That building is the exit shop, not the entry. Above the exit shop is the concrete ramps and queue rails leading to the entry which is just above and to the right.

Can confirm though that the theatre building remained standing post demo of the coaster, (though it does look like they've removed most of the elevated concrete queue area outside).

Whether it stays or not, can't say - this is current as at October 26th.

image.thumb.png.559e782144d845fadc3ead8e25e7501c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

the Riddler's Lair set, which used a bunch of scanners (lighting) with Question Mark gobos on rotate - a bit like this IIRC

Interestingly enough, I don't think those were gobos, and don't believe they rotated.  I believe they were actually built into the floor of the set and emissive in their own right.

1 hour ago, jjuttp said:

Wasn't that the Matrix walkthrough?

No, that was where Intencity is now, and many years on, not in the sound stages... also, the spaceship i'm referring to was present around 1994.

1 hour ago, webslave said:

Interestingly enough, I don't think those were gobos, and don't believe they rotated.  I believe they were actually built into the floor of the set and emissive in their own right.

There may well have been floor uplighting (though in a soundstage, they'd have had to raise the entire floor of the set to build them in underneath) but whether there was or wasn't uplighting on the set, the scanners existed, as I saw them in a lot sale Village held in the studios about 10 years ago or so. (I may have mis-remembered the gobo rotating as I recall many scanners weren't that advanced, but there were definitely scanners projecting the riddler's logo within the set.)

ETA: looks like the lighting design was done by this guy: Architectural — Steven Young (syoungld.com) (bottom of the page)

1 hour ago, rappa said:

The ??s were gobos projected from High End Systems Intellabeams and were then kicking around the park for several years in various stages if disrepair. Prob still on the scrap heap somewhere. 

You can recreate them for the bargain price of $200US per pair (plus shipping) with a free roadcase!

High End Systems Intellibeam (Black) | eBay

....And an hour later i've come out of that rabbit hole - holy crap these things were in use for the 1991 Dire Straits tour. (And I did find what I went down there for - the gobo wheel had "gobo spin" but I believe that was cycling the wheel from gobo 1-8, rather than the ability to rotate individual gobos... probably a bit too advanced for 1991!!!

Correct IBeams did not have rotating gobos. They were one of the first ‘big things’ from Highend. 
The big step up was the Cyberlight which is still used in some Disney attractions today and in fact a nee LED version has just been released to replace those originals for Disney specifically. 

Very familiar with Intellabeams (and Trackspots, too).  Hell, they still maintain at least one annual big gig that I know of.

I'd have agreed with you, but I refer you to this clip which is what told me otherwise:

But yeah, I can understand the mistake. (Skip to 1:45 for close-up)

Edited by webslave

Wow, feel bad for that gig. Still living decades ago :(

There was no mistake, the ? Gobos come from Intellabeams. The patterns on the floor are obviously backlit panels built into what was the false ‘show deck’ over the top of the concrete Sound Stage floor. 

40 minutes ago, rappa said:

There was no mistake, the ? Gobos come from Intellabeams. The patterns on the floor are obviously backlit panels built into what was the false ‘show deck’ over the top of the concrete Sound Stage floor. 

Where's your '?' gobos in the video?  I must have missed them.  

• 3 weeks later...