Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Given the timeslots, i'd say the early morning would be the in-park shots, and the middle of the day slot would be the soundstage filming.

Did both, & pretty much. Also went on Batwing for an aerial view of the construction, and there’s some more concrete/footers poured since the recent photo, as well as a couple stockpiles of what looked to be rebar, but didn’t see any supports/track onsite as of yet. Still, it’s noticeably getting closer & closer to that point.

Edited by Tricoart

Are you serious, is one of the coasters a copy of TNT at GBW.

Its like the 90s with the portable metropolis coasters that can travel around to show grounds.

I will say I rode TNT last month, and not sure If I'm not used to the feeling of  coaster recently but the first 5 seconds is really good the rest is a sunday drive.

I loved the EX dreamworld coaster, pretty thrilling, got a extra drop due to break not catching

I observed up to one in ten runs would get a 3rd backwards freefall, usually it catches on the 2nd run and slowly sends the train back to base.

Not sure if its really a issue, seems weight related and how far the train falls back up the track after the first pass through the loading area.

Thought it was awesome ride can't imagine why dreamworld booted it

maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

unlikely it spontaneously didn’t catch, and if so, would likely result in some decent downtime to establish how/why 

i’ve noticed in some videos you can hear the rides brakes engaging as the trains heading towards them but the train doesn’t actually catch on, so it goes backwards back down the tower so it can make its way back up to be caught at a lower position. from what i’ve heard it’s not that uncommon. did the ride ever do this at Dreamworld? i wonder why it is now.

9 hours ago, Morphix said:

Are you serious, is one of the coasters a copy of TNT at GBW.

I don't think it's necessairly a bad thing though. I think Gumbuya did a great job with TNT. Theme, story and presentation has been executed very well. So it should make want VRTP to step things up a little and make their version 'world class'. But from Gumbuya's perspective, it should make them feel like they are able to compete with the Gold Coast parks despite them being a (regional?) theme park in Victoria.

We see copies of attractions all of the world, there are small parks that will have the same/similar attractions as the big guys (Disney, Universal, etc), but the difference is they step it up and take theming and story to a whole new level, which is what makes it a better experience.

9 hours ago, Morphix said:

Thought it was awesome ride can't imagine why dreamworld booted it

Because it was a poor choice of ride and was originally picked without much thought, but was a way to boost attraction (and thrill ride) count up to compete with the guys down the road. Long term that thought process back fired and ended up costing the park way too much to operate/maintain, hence why they sold it off. And attraction like this is why the current management take a lot more care in selecting attractions and who is the manufacturer of that attraction. They did a lot of culling, which has hit hard on their overall attraction count. But eventually we should start to see that number increase to make the park feel more complete once again.

Yeah we've known it was going to be a clone of TNT for quite some time now. Reality is they operate in different markets. Six Flags used to be like 4 of the same ride and chuck them down all over the US (and move them again in a few years to build a 'new' attraction elsewhere) but it's not as if it's Dreamworld and Movie World building the exact same ride. 

The GC and Gumbuya are far enough away from each other that the two markets will have little crossover.

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The GC and Gumbuya are far enough away from each other that the two markets will have little crossover.

I agree. I don’t see a problem with cloned coasters, and it’s not like it is the worst here. In the US there is cloned coasters in the same states. An example in Florida is Barnstormer and Woody/Trollercoaster at Magic Kingdom/Universal Studios are the same coaster, the only difference is that they are mirrored. Same as FOTH and the Dragon Coaster at IOA/Legoland, except the latter has a dark ride section.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trademark filings have been made for the names of the WOO coasters. Kansas Twister for the family boomerangs and Flight of the Wicked Witch for the suspended family coaster presumably

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/2411823?s=066cfa98-d7a1-4526-a4ee-6f069d7b2f33&p=2

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/2411822?s=066cfa98-d7a1-4526-a4ee-6f069d7b2f33&p=2

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, New display name said:

Presumably the is for MW also.  

Warner bros owns the trademark for movie world itself so yep so I’d say it’s under a similar arrangement in this case, the categories it is filed in seem to match up as well

9 hours ago, New display name said:

I might get some Flight Of the Wicked Witch lingerie for the wife. 👀   Baby bibs to lingerie, looks like they have covered it all.

image.thumb.png.b380bf98414bbee1d39e2858c7088f01.png

When filing trademarks, they’re not just done in regards to specific, intentional items, they’re done based upon broader categories (or, in that case, ‘classes’). Further text is just listing examples of things that’d fall under the given category, for clarity’s sake. Same reason they’re both covered for a class that predominantly mentions educational materials, sports, and video games, as that’s the class which amusement park services fall under.

10 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

Assuming these are indeed for the coasters, I really like both names.

‘Flight of the Wicked Witch’ is iffy IMO, but the boomerang’s name couldn’t really be any better than that. In some ways, though, i’m more interested in seeing how ‘KT’ (assumedly) ends up than I am with ‘FotWW’, so that may just be carrying over into their names.

Edited by Tricoart

5 hours ago, Tricoart said:

When filing trademarks, they’re not just done in regards to specific, intentional items, they’re done based upon broader categories (or, in that case, ‘classes’). Further text is just listing examples of things that’d fall under the given category, for clarity’s sake. Same reason they’re both covered for a class that predominantly mentions educational materials, sports, and video games, as that’s the class which amusement park services fall under.

You don't say?

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Will be cool having FWW and WWF.

The Outrage! Dyslexics Untie!

7 hours ago, Tricoart said:

OMG, you should do some research before you try and school somebody.   You are charged per item you wish to trademark, so nobody is picking everything within a class.

Select the items that apply to your business

Once you've chosen the class for your trade mark, you still have to select the appropriate items within that class. Classes are broad, so you must further specify the items in that class you wish to protect. Then your application will only apply to those items.

Example

You produce acrylic false nails. You use the pick list and find out that you should choose Class 3 to protect your brand. You tick the item acrylic false nails. But there are dozens of other items in Class 3 including aerosol hairspray and carpet shampoos. Don’t tick those items. You're specifically choosing to apply your trade mark to Class 3 acrylic false nails, not all of the others.

(from trademark Australia application form help files)

Example:

SKY VOYAGER

Class 25:

Apparel (clothing, footwear, headgear); Clothing; Baseball caps; Sports caps; Caps being headwear; Polo shirts; Printed t-shirts; Sports shirts; T-shirts

FLIGHT OF THE WICKED WITCH

Class 25:

Clothing, footwear, and headgear for men, women and children - namely, shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jogging suits, trousers, pants, shorts, tank tops, rainwear, cloth baby bibs, plastic bibs, skirts, blouses, dresses, suspenders, sweaters, hoodies, jackets, coats, raincoats, snow suits, ties, robes, hats, caps, sun visors, belts, scarves, sleepwear, pajamas, lingerie, underwear, boots, shoes, sneakers, sandals, socks, booties, slipper socks; swimwear; masquerade and Halloween costumes; paper hats

(side note, People also use trade marks to stop people from hurting their brand.  Example: Turner Entertainment Co. may have no intention to sell Wicked Witch lingerie but they also don't want other companies selling it).

Edited by New display name
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, New display name said:

OMG, you should do some research before you try and school somebody.   You are charged per item you wish to trademark, so nobody is picking everything within a class.

Select the items that apply to your business

Once you've chosen the class for your trade mark, you still have to select the appropriate items within that class. Classes are broad, so you must further specify the items in that class you wish to protect. Then your application will only apply to those items.

Example

You produce acrylic false nails. You use the pick list and find out that you should choose Class 3 to protect your brand. You tick the item acrylic false nails. But there are dozens of other items in Class 3 including aerosol hairspray and carpet shampoos. Don’t tick those items. You're specifically choosing to apply your trade mark to Class 3 acrylic false nails, not all of the others.

(from trademark Australia application form help files)

Example:

SKY VOYAGER

Class 25:

Apparel (clothing, footwear, headgear); Clothing; Baseball caps; Sports caps; Caps being headwear; Polo shirts; Printed t-shirts; Sports shirts; T-shirts

FLIGHT OF THE WICKED WITCH

Class 25:

Clothing, footwear, and headgear for men, women and children - namely, shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jogging suits, trousers, pants, shorts, tank tops, rainwear, cloth baby bibs, plastic bibs, skirts, blouses, dresses, suspenders, sweaters, hoodies, jackets, coats, raincoats, snow suits, ties, robes, hats, caps, sun visors, belts, scarves, sleepwear, pajamas, lingerie, underwear, boots, shoes, sneakers, sandals, socks, booties, slipper socks; swimwear; masquerade and Halloween costumes; paper hats

(side note, People also use trade marks to stop people from hurting their brand.  Example: Turner Entertainment Co. may have no intention to sell Wicked Witch lingerie but they also don't want other companies selling it).

Huh, cool. Guess they just ticked ‘em all off for the same reason I said, instead of just default having them. Learn something new, etc.