Pipeline - The Surf Coaster (Seaworld Orlando)

Dean Barnett

14 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

If this isn't the best idea for Seaworld's next coaster - I have no idea what is. 

It looks like it could be a maintenance nightmare, given that it’s the first of it kind and that it features seats that move up and down as the coaster travels around the course.

It’s definitely not a coaster that was expected but it might be a great coaster only time will tell when it gets built.

Edited by Rabbit2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit2014 said:

It looks like it could be a maintenance nightmare, given that it’s the first of it kind and that it features seats that move up and down as the coaster travels around the course.

i agree it could be a maintenance nightmare but the only reason i don’t believe it actually will be is because it is B&M. 

The seats move up and down just from similar suspensions that are found on high quality mountain bikes or quad bikes, i don’t think it would be that hard to maintain.

I will say i can’t see a park in Australia buying one (even if we had B&M’s here), i just can’t think of where it would fit in properly.

One thing about the rides that they've been installing for the past few years is there's been no connection between the ride type and the theme. It's almost like they'd spin a big wheel with ride types on one side, and another wheel with random ocean themes on another.

It's a *spin* Premier Launch Coaster themed to *spin* Ice breaking ships!

It's a *spin* B&M Hyper, themed to *spin* a type of shark!

It's a *spin* B&M Dive coaster themed to *spin* penguins!

Its a *spin* Wooden coaster themed to *spin* Stingrays!

In other words the ride selection and the theme seem totally arbitrary and interchangeable. This one it's like 'Yeah, stand up coaster, surfing, you surf standing up. The theme and the ride type actually make sense together! Wonderful'

As for how it would go at SW here, I'd be interested to see how it rides. If you could get it to somehow squeeze in around and through  storm and over JR, sort of taking up very little new space you could have a winner. It's probably enough of a 'statement' coaster to be a signature ride for the long term, but a part of me just isn't quite sure. Looks a decent little ride though

• Like 1

For the Dive Coaster I think it's meant to be like a deep diving penguin, and with Mako I believe it's the fastest shark in the world.

But SW overall seem to have really dialled back their theming (Manta at SWSD was perhaps the last)

Ice breaker for example I was hoping for more of a port theme with the train dodging icebergs.

Pipeline looks good, I've never understood the hate for standups.... just so long as you dont get a nutshot from the bouncing harness.

For the announcement trailer, why did they do really dramatic music and not fun Californian surf guitar?

• Like 1

Not a fan of stand up coasters personally. I've been on Riddler's Revenge which I consider best in breed (and other B & Ms), Intamin, and even Togo (scary stuff). I guess it's a slightly new spin on an old concept; and I'm certainly not the demographic they're aiming for - I was there last month and everyone in our group was not impressed by Ice Breaker either, but we clocked up over 20 laps on Mako (also got to see the scary sight of an evac on Manta flying coaster's lift hill). 

Like Joz said, it's not a statement coaster; and with Epic Universe coming soon, Sea World will have some serious competition to be that extra day park when not at Disney or the two other Universal parks.  

24 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

Icebreaker would have to be my most 2nd most disappointing new coaster of this year. At least they put a hump in the launch track though. 

Mako is incredible and has amazing ops too. Attendants that just pull up on the clamshell 👌🏼

I hear you, Ice Breaker was one and done for us. We had a great run on Mako - the ops let us keep riding as there was no one there in the morning. Though as far as I'm concerned, all bow to the Iron Gwazi (highlight of the trip). 

It will be interesting to see what attractions pop up in Sea World in the next few years, and possibly what attractions disappear.  

Edited by downunder

36 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

I think I got a dud ride on Gwazi, or if it was a mix of a really slow moving line, several breakdowns plus operations that make the Gold Coast operations look good. 

But it felt like half of SteVie (which technically it kind of is)

Interesting, I got some great rides on IG (I haven't been on Steel Vengeance as a comparison point). I rode it morning, afternoon and late night (at howl o scream) - front row, back row and a few in-between. Back row was best in my opinion, and I got lucky with lines, by 10pm at howl o scream we had circled back to the front of the park and I had to rub my eyes at the 5 mins on the wait sign. Got some bonkers no-wait night rides in the back. The drop was great, the air time was very forceful (and creative at times), the speed it hit the barrel roll was crazy, and a very nice zero G roll.

Back to topic, I think Sea World could do better. Also being in Orlando last month and then our Sea World this month - I much prefer our Shark Bay as a shark exhibit. The greatest compliment I can pay it is that my partner is a very experienced scuba diver and was visiting for the first time and she loved it (and she wasn't sure she would like it, having seen tons of wild sea life in the open ocean). She kept bobbing up during our tropical reef snorkel and saying : I love this.

Edited by downunder

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

For the Dive Coaster I think it's meant to be like a deep diving penguin, and with Mako I believe it's the fastest shark in the world

For the Dive Coaster I think it's meant to be Emperor because they're the biggest type of penguin and it's the biggest coaster at SWD, and with Mako I belive the bunny hills represent how they jump in the air sometimes when feeding. I'm not saying you're wrong in what the point of the names actually is, but to me the links are arbitrary. It's the exact same amount of effort that went into Sea Viper.

It is indeed about diving hence the logo (Not really about a tall standing penguin)

It totally gives me the vibe that someone at the park got stuck on the idea of diving penguins and this is what we ended up with (2:15)

At the time I thought it was a kind of cute idea but at the same time a penguin is not quite badass enough for a thrill ride IMO.

SeaWorld San Diego Emperor

Penguin Dive Delight, the Official drink of Emperor

It's the exact same amount of effort that went into Sea Viper.

Pretty much lol. No station building, and gravel below the ride.

image.thumb.png.2ba6e2ed3a309b9603b08314da97a4bb.png

Edited by Gazza

9 hours ago, joz said:

One thing about the rides that they've been installing for the past few years is there's been no connection between the ride type and the theme. 

Aussie SW has gone down the same path with The New Atlantis compared to Jet Rescue and Storm Coaster.

Edited by New display name

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

It totally gives me the vibe that someone at the park got stuck on the idea of diving penguins and this is what we ended up with

Someone else on the project team probably latched onto 'Emperor' as being a really *grand* name too, just to solidify the choice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rivals said:

Not really sure how that correlates either with a dive coaster, but just thought i’d remind y’all.

It doesn't which is my point.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Aussie SW has gone down the same path

I mean kind of, but there's a difference in execution between us and them. Manta makes sense because they made the trains look like Mantas. It could equally be themed to a sea bird of some kind, but once it's done and you see it you kind of go 'Yep that's it, makes sense'. I think the same is true of Leviathan and Trident, and all being in a coherent land also kind of brings it together. Like you could theme Storm to Atlantis and it would make sense, but it makes sense as Storm too.

I think the same is true of something like Steel Taipain. Like kind of generic, but also the train looks a bit like a snake; moreso than a Wild Mouse so play on. Leviathan, same thing. Is there a reason for it inherently? Not really. Does it all make sense as a package? Absolutely! It's their recent offerings where you look at it and it just seems absolutely random.

• 4 weeks later...

If Dreamworld wanted a big kahuna roller coaster to save them from the riptide they are currently in they'd splash out and buy a B&M Surf Coaster for their park and call it 'Wipe Out' or 'The New WipeOut' or something along those lines it'd be sure to make a splash amongst the general public and aficionados alike.