Movie World Scheduled Maintenance 2023

TBoy

On 20/04/2023 at 9:51 AM, New display name said:

A lithium battery should not be located near anybody locked into a ride.

55 minutes ago, franky said:

There's a rather large difference between a car catching fire which you can open a door and walk away from, and being trapped in a coaster by the restraints while it's on fire.

The on-board audio for GL and the on-board video/lighting for DCR are both powered by L-ion batteries. If you've been on those rides, you've been locked into a coaster near Lithium batteries.

Most people are pretty happy to get into a sealed, pressurised tube that travels in the air at 800km/hr with hundreds of Lithium Ion batteries, that also has explosive kerosene in the wings.  They'll even wear the batteries in their pockets, on their wrists and in their ears because the risk of an adverse event is extremely low.

GL almost killed people and it wasn't because of the batteries.  Mechanical and structural failures can happen for a vast number of reasons - even with good maintenance.  L-ion batteries are not inherently more 'unsafe' than any other mechanical component at risk of fatigue, fracture, wear or failure.  They're designed into the ride with appropriate electronic and mechanical shielding.

In the Objectif Mars incident, the fire was extinguished by staff, and two women were treated by paramedics.  Their injuries could have been from inhaling smoke or from them panicking when exiting the ride, not from the fire itself.  Nothing about their injuries was reported so we can't know for sure.  We do know that they were treated by paramedics and not sent to hospital.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wikiverse said:

In the Objectif Mars incident, the fire was extinguished by staff, and two women were treated by paramedics.  Their injuries could have been from inhaling smoke or from them panicking when exiting the ride, not from the fire itself.  Nothing about their injuries was reported so we can't know for sure.  We do know that they were treated by paramedics and not sent to hospital.

From the article linked in the wiki page above:

Two people had been slightly burned in this fire, they were both discharged from the hospital.

I'm not arguing here; I still carry a phone on me, despite all those Samsung's spontaneously combusting a few years ago. Comparing a Tesla fire to a roller coaster fault I feel is not fair though.

Snide remark: are the l-ion batteries the reason DCR doesn't have the cameras anymore and why the GL sound doesn't works these days?

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Lihium batteries are only allowed as carry-on and not all airlines even allow that.   As for the planes lithium batteries, there are measures in place if a fire breaks out so it doesn't bring down the plane.

And I’m sure there are measures in place for Objectif Mars, as well as any other ride that sports Li-ion batteries. If that weren’t the case, there’d be much more incidents & Li-ion batteries’d be disallowed.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, themagician said:

WB Studio Showcase is temporarily closed

IMG_5566.thumb.jpeg.7ab1a6081c1b6e2097c68adcb3d89ce6.jpeg

Could be related to the strong winds and rain we are currently experiencing, to ensure the exhibit and props inside are protected 

We’ve had a lot worse weather in the last 12 months than we have in the past 48 hours so I wouldn’t think it’s that. 

Could be a simple as needing to replace lighting or test fire systems. 

• Like 3

On 22/04/2023 at 11:30 AM, franky said:

There's a rather large difference between a car catching fire which you can open a door and walk away from, and being trapped in a coaster by the restraints while it's on fire.

I recently rode in a tesla and it had an electronic push button door opener. I'm wondering - if there's an electrical fault\fire - how do you override this?

On 22/04/2023 at 2:06 PM, wikiverse said:

The on-board audio for GL and the on-board video/lighting for DCR are both powered by L-ion batteries. If you've been on those rides, you've been locked into a coaster near Lithium batteries.

Most people are pretty happy to get into a sealed, pressurised tube that travels in the air at 800km/hr with hundreds of Lithium Ion batteries, that also has explosive kerosene in the wings.  They'll even wear the batteries in their pockets, on their wrists and in their ears because the risk of an adverse event is extremely low.

GL almost killed people and it wasn't because of the batteries.  Mechanical and structural failures can happen for a vast number of reasons - even with good maintenance.  L-ion batteries are not inherently more 'unsafe' than any other mechanical component at risk of fatigue, fracture, wear or failure.  They're designed into the ride with appropriate electronic and mechanical shielding.

As has been mentioned, many rides use Super Capacitors, rather than LiIon batteries - this is not the sort of thing to make assumptions on and state as fact.

As for the Objectif Mars incident, while the best extinguisher for lithium ion battery fires is an F500 Lithium Ion Battery Extinguisher, chances are the one provided is likely going to be dry chemical, which is both corrosive and abrasive, as well as a respiratory irritant causing breathing difficulties. 

It is always preferable to evacuate people from the area before discharging an extinguisher.

(Side note - F500 extinguishers are more effective on Lithium batteries, but are water based so shouldn't be used where AC voltages over 100v are present - so a complete power disconnect is needed prior to use of these extinguishers)

On 22/04/2023 at 3:58 PM, New display name said:

Lihium batteries are only allowed as carry-on and not all airlines even allow that.   As for the planes lithium batteries, there are measures in place if a fire breaks out so it doesn't bring down the plane.

Spare lithium batteries, or those detached from the device aren't allowed in checked baggage, but lithium batteries up to 160Wh that are installed in a device can be checked in, provided the device is isolated in such a way that it cannot be accidentally activated whilst in transit.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I recently rode in a tesla and it had an electronic push button door opener. I'm wondering - if there's an electrical fault\fire - how do you override this?

Unsure if this is model specific but they have a manual door release for the front doors. The rear doors are BBQ central I guess.

Yeah, it seems to be just the override for the front seats. What makes it worse, though, is that there’s no door handle on the outsides either, so not only can you only open up the front doors with their fiddly manual release (provided you’re in a clear mind while your car is on fire), but neither you, or emergency services, can open the back doors from the outside ‘cause all doors & windows auto-lock, and all doorhandles auto-retract if there’s a fire.

15 minutes ago, New display name said:

Smash the window.

Being an Elon Musk product, the window is probably designed to separate from the doorframe using pyro, but during a collision, the frame with buckle and the pyro will fail to fire, leading to the entire car exploding. #SpaceX

On 26/04/2023 at 1:20 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Being an Elon Musk product, the window is probably designed to separate from the doorframe using pyro, but during a collision, the frame with buckle and the pyro will fail to fire, leading to the entire car exploding. #SpaceX

It adds the element of surprise. You could be murdered by your car at any moment 

Apparently that’s why they aren’t supposed to park at the bottom of car parks in case they explode. It’s like a tiny tiny chance of it happening but that’s what someone told me. I wouldn’t take it as fact.

7 hours ago, Stevie said:

It adds the element of surprise. You could be murdered by your car at any moment 

Living life on the edge makes life way better’s

There wasn’t any repainting done in January. One third of Rivals track was painted over a 2 month period this time last year. This middle section will be painted this year and then the lift hill and final section of track will be painted next year.

Yes it probably is possible for the entire coaster to be painted within a month, but this is the Australian theme park industry. Rather than the park investing that money in one, they’re doing it across multiple years. The team required to complete the repaint quickly would be pretty significant, particularly around the higher areas (first drop and non-inverting loop). I would have liked to see it all be done at once, but from a business perspective VRTP decided to go with the multi year approach