Dreamworld Annual Pass renewal offer 2022

Can't remember the last time I went bowling. I took my daughter to time zone in surfers after the big refurb or should I call it the big regress.  Talk about pulling a Scooby refurb and going backwards.

When I was a wee lad annual passes were 3.5 x the one-day price.  It took me a whole year of doing a paper run buy my annual pass.  The parks are cheap now, but the quality of our parks have suffered.

Edited by New display name

It’s nice that they’re including those bonus offers with third party groups, really helps to increase the value of the pass and sweeten the deal. 

5 hours ago, New display name said:

I took my daughter to time zone in surfers after the big refurb or should I call it the big regress.  Talk about pulling a Scooby refurb and going backwards.

What’s wrong with the Timezone refurb? Apart from losing some classic games (especially those from Sega World Sydney) I don’t see what’s so bad about it? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Noll_57 said:

What’s wrong with the Timezone refurb? Apart from losing some classic games (especially those from Sega World Sydney) I don’t see what’s so bad about it? 

They gutted it to make LT bigger and more open instead of being based on CQB, Downgraded the minigolf from something you would see at Mermaid Beach to a stale blacklight course, randomly clumped games together on the western side, more bottlenecks, eatery takes up valuable arcade space, pinball corner no longer has a focus on new, classic and interesting machines, looks tacky. 

I'm sure theres more, but its one place i ALWAYS made sure to visit when i was up from Sydney and they realy earned those "best arcade in the world" awards for those 3 years. Then they brought it under the new umbrella and ruined everything that made it worth a visit. My last 2 visits i didn't even go because of how bad its become.

• Like 1

Total aside, I went to the new bowling alley at Timezone Surfers recently. They now have wire on the top of the pins to pull them up when they've been knocked over. I'm not a purest in any sense, I go bowling like once every 2 years, but more than once I noticed pins being knocked over by the wire, and not because they were hit by another pin or the ball. Booo ghetto bowling!

Edited by joz

Ya The new Timezone is pretty crap, I loved the dingy 90s aesthetic of the place and the 12-person Daytona at the back was awesome, but the refurb just turned it into another generic modern minimalist aesthetic which is done to death at this point and quite boring.

Edited by Smol bean
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, joz said:

Total aside, I went to the new bowling alley at Timezone Surfers recently. They now have wire on the top of the pins to pull them up when they've been knocked over. I'm not a purest I'm any sense, I go bowling like once every 2 years, but more than once I noticed pins being knocked over by the wire, and not because they were hit by another pin or the ball. Booo ghetto bowling!

If you're talking about the four lanes inside the Timezone itself (as opposed to the purpose-built alley adjacent) then they are the same Highway 66 systems they had in the same spot (albeit rotated 90 degrees).  They have always been pinspot-by-wire:
https://www.qubicaamf.com/bowling-products/mini-bowling/highway-66

They are based on smaller balls, smaller pins, etc, and are targeted at young kids.

I can't imagine any of the centers that run stuff like league, etc would go for this.

Edit: Jesus, bowling is done:
https://brunswickbowling.com/bowling-centers/equipment-parts-supplies/center-environment/pinsetters/stringpin-pinsetter
"Brunswick StringPin meets International Bowling Federation (IBF) specifications. This includes specifications related to kickback, kickback plates, pin deck, pins, gutter, and installation. The IBF announced in November 2021 that it has approved string pin technology for sport leagues and competitive tournament play worldwide. After careful study, the IBF concluded that string machines help proprietors address multiple business challenges, including keeping experienced maintenance technicians on staff, high equipment costs, and machine reliability concerns. The IBF also reported that bowling averages on string machines are very close to those bowled on freefall machines and that string machines do not give the bowler any significant scoring advantage."

Edited by webslave