Jungle Rush Coaster

mattcrombie

29 minutes ago, New display name said:

“Jungle Rush will be Dreamworld’s largest-ever investment in a single attraction, so it really is one for the record books.” 

It is always hard to judge, if this statement is true.  

MW/SW should take some tips from DW, on how to promote a ride.

You can't market a ride without referencing which hemisphere it's in, can you?

4 hours ago, DJKostya said:

That theming is looking pretty amazing, it's good to see our parks starting to put some more effort into this kind of thing, only time will tell though if they keep it maintained 

If the Indiana Jones rides at Disney are anything to go by id say the theming improves with a bit of weathering too.

An ancient temple facade with slightly overgrown vegetation looks even better than when new

6 hours ago, New display name said:

“Jungle Rush will be Dreamworld’s largest-ever investment in a single attraction, so it really is one for the record books.” 

MW/SW should take some tips from DW, on how to promote a ride.

Jungle Rush itself cost $35 million (per Dreamworld’s Instagram)

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

Jungle Rush itself cost $35 million (per Dreamworld’s Instagram)

Yes, I can read.

People will fall for the marketing spin.  If DW was to build the Thunderbolt today, what would it cost?  Every year prices move upwards, so every major ride DW build, from now on, will be DW's largest ever investment.     

22 minutes ago, New display name said:

If DW was to build the Thunderbolt today, what would it cost?  Every year prices move upwards, so every major ride DW build, from now on, will be DW's largest ever investment.     

Assuming the cost of amusement park rides has risen at double the rate of that which regular inflation has, it would still be $6 million cheaper than Steel Taipan was. 

IMG_7089.thumb.jpeg.03d22497ea205edca4be0623f677b4ce.jpeg

IMG_7090.thumb.jpeg.c4a1e20fab046de41fa8be433e2817fb.jpeg

2 hours ago, New display name said:

Yes, I can read.

People will fall for the marketing spin.  If DW was to build the Thunderbolt today, what would it cost?  Every year prices move upwards, so every major ride DW build, from now on, will be DW's largest ever investment.     

Doesn't Taipan's figure exceed Jungle Rush's cost too or was the koala research grant they used added to the budget statistic in the end?

Edited by Baconjack

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

Doesn't Taipan's figure exceed Jungle Rush's cost too or was the koala research grant they used added to the budget statistic in the end?

Altogether, ST was $32 mil. They wouldn’t exclude the money they repurposed from the government grant in that quoted cost.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Doubling it is just pulling a number out of your bum, bum.

Seeing as there’s no exact direct comparison, I only doubled that number to overestimate the likely margin at which coaster price has increased above that of general inflation, and I must say that it seems well within the realm of plausibility after converting it to USD solely for comparison’s sake (the doubled number is ~$17-18mil USD in 2024) & comparing older examples of Vekomas & Arrows (Corkscrew @ Alton Towers was £1.25mil GBP in 1980/~$9-10mil USD in 2024, Loch Ness Monster @ Busch Gardens Williamsburg was $5mil USD in 1978/~$23-25mil USD in 2024) to similar current Vekoma models (Lech Coaster @ Legendia was €12mil EUR in 2017/~$16mil USD in 2024, Fønix @ Fårup Sommerland was 100mil DKK/~$15mil USD in 2022), and both to it. And, to be clear, the only fudging/‘pulling out my bum’ of those numbers was rounding them to the nearest mil USD, again solely for easier comparison. As such, they’re by no means completely accurate, hence the use of ranges & ‘~’, to make it abundantly clear that the altered numbers are merely estimations instead of facts, as that doesn’t seem to have gotten through the first time around.

Point being, them saying it’s their largest investment in a singular attraction yet does mean something, not necessarily a game-changing amount but it’s a factual & easy way to portray that there’s effort going into making the attraction the best it can be. At the end of the day, it is marketing though, so it’s purpose is undeniably still to flaunt it’s good sides, but it’s not doing it in an objectively untruthful or manipulative way like you seem to believe, and like certain other projects have done recently.

Edited by Tricoart

Both Gold Coast companies dial up their marketing spin to 11 when advertising new attractions so I think DW get a pass here when it comes to any claims of being their largest ever investment. 

And to be fair, this is exactly the kind of ride we have been asking them to build and the return to nicely presented lands (remember when we had lands instead of precincts? Weren’t those wonderful times??) we have all wanted. So its hard to criticize much of anything about this new coaster. 

I’ll call bullshit on any kind of ‘changing the face of family entertainment’ claim or anything like that but that’s only negative thing I could say. 

• Like 4

There's a lot of factors to take into account when you're comparing something 40+ years old. One of them is your labour cost. In 1982 - the average wage in Australia was around $300 a week. Today* it's somewhere around $1600 a week which is more than 5 times an increase. 

Making a like for like comparison is really hard when you've got apples and helicopters. 

At the end of the day its puffery in a media release. they can explain those numbers any way they like to make their point. It's a presser, not an AGM.

• Like 1

@TricoartI think you are missing the point of what I said.

20 hours ago, New display name said:

You said,  Seeing as there’s no exact direct comparison 

You are right, there is no direct comparison so as I said, It is always hard to judge, if this statement is true.   Without an direct comparison, all you can do, is guess what the Thunderbolt would cost today. 

• 2 weeks later...