The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

Yep, an address bar is too fiddly... but let's get them to find their chosen app-store, find the correct app, hope it's compatible with the device, hit install, find their password that they definitely do not remember, then find where the app ended up on the device.  C'mon, QRs are mainstream.

Yep, plenty of people used pencil and paper.  I mean it's not like the QR data was misused by *several* government agencies for reasons other than the user intended.

In infosec we actively encourage people not to download apps unless absolutely necessary.  As has been demonstrated here; it's most certainly not absolutely necessary.  If you can manage to book, pay for, modify, and check-in for an airline flight without an app then the argument that it's somehow the 'only way' for a theme park is nonsense.

Just now, webslave said:

Yep, an address bar is too fiddly... but let's get them to find their chosen app-store, find the correct app, hope it's compatible with the device, hit install, find their password that they definitely do not remember, then find where the app ended up on the device.  C'mon, QRs are mainstream.

Can you not just use the QR to get the app?

This one is actually legit simple. QR to a website that identifies if its Safari or a real web browser, and then based off that assume if its Apple or Android then redirect to the appstore, or Coles to buy alfoil. I'm happy with either.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Slick said:

There's a bit of irony in bemoaning everything Australian parks do that inhibit efficiency and then suggesting that ride-ops should also handle payment processing during a load. 🥴

It would take about 20 seconds longer than getting a wristband and sharpie-ing over it - and can be done while the train isn’t in the station (no added time to the cycle)

3 minutes ago, Naazon said:

This one is actually legit simple. QR to a website that identifies if its Safari or a real web browser, and then based off that assume if its Apple or Android then redirect to the appstore

That's exactly it, except rather than directing them to the appstore for download they are presented with the initial screen of the app, since the existing app is rendered as a webpage anyway.  It's unquestionably easier.

40 minutes ago, webslave said:

If you can manage to book, pay for, modify, and check-in for an airline flight without an app then the argument that it's somehow the 'only way' for a theme park is nonsense.

I never said it was the 'only way' - i acknowledged alternative methods. I simply discussed why an app was preferred as being user friendly, and fairly difficult to break. 

As for getting it installed, a QR code is generally all you need. Most people these days don't need their app store password as their finger or face ID works just fine.

35 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

It would take about 20 seconds longer than getting a wristband and sharpie-ing over it - and can be done while the train isn’t in the station (no added time to the cycle)

What if they overcharge? What if the connection is down? Theres a whole bunch of shit operators have to worry about without being trained in retail operations as well. Thats WHY you have to go to a store (or retail cart, etc) to purchase these additional experiences outside of the app environment. 

And so help me if you point out some random park in Flugerstrom gives eftpos terminals to their ride operators as justification i'm really going to lose my shit.

35 minutes ago, webslave said:

That's exactly it, except rather than directing them to the appstore for download they are presented with the initial screen of the app, since the existing app is rendered as a webpage anyway.  It's unquestionably easier.

When they get to the front page, do they not then have to insert their username and password and login to access their ticketing and other information? Does that not also give the merchant certain access to information you're concerned about?

These days you can prevent apps from tracking other activity outside of the app, but regardless, those who prefer paranoia have alternatives, so what's so wrong with having an app for those who don't care?

2 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

and can be done while the train isn’t in the station (no added time to the cycle)

Ahhh, so the time a loader should be spent loading? What if someone queues, assumes it's free and doesn't have any cash or card on them because they left it with a friend? Do they leave the queue and queue twice? What if someone is unsure of the transaction process or what they're buying and want to know more information? Does the loader tell them to just leave the queue because they only have 20 seconds? What happens if there's a situation that requires more care from the loader pre-boarding like someone with additional needs or a height issue? Do you sacrifice takt time for an entire load of guests to process those transactions or do you forfeit the revenue for that cycle because it'll create a ripple effect to the overall hourly capacity demands?

From an operations design perspective, there are way too many points of potential friction to even consider the idea.

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

And so help me if you point out some random park in Flugerstrom gives eftpos terminals to their ride operators as justification i'm really going to lose my shit.

22 minutes ago, Vidgamer said:

During the peak season Dreamworld actually had a eftpos terminal so you could buy Tail Whip at the ride line up (in the tail whip line). It actually seemed to work well, so it is possible.

Kermit The Frog Mad GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vidgamer said:

During the peak season Dreamworld actually had a eftpos terminal so you could buy Tail Whip at the ride line up (in the tail whip line). It actually seemed to work well, so it is possible.

Are you comparing DW's crowds (crowds🤣) to SW's crowds?    What was the person on the eftpos terminal role?

Edited by New display name

Isn't it a case of pick what you want?

If you want the rides to run 2 trains, and do that efficiently, there would only be a few seconds where one train is leaving and the next one is departing, so probably not much spare time.

So therefore if you want 2 train ops, you therefore cannot have them selling backwards seats.

If you want the grouper to sell backwards, then the grouper cannot be replaced by a turnstile.

11 minutes ago, Gazza said:

If you want the grouper to sell backwards, then the grouper cannot be replaced by a turnstile.

If the grouper runs one train ahead (have 2 trains line up in the airgates) it is 💯 possible. 

If you’re not happy with that have a little machine at the front of the line for them - you could probably repurpose an off the shelf car parking ticket machine with a bit of custom software.  

I’m not sure every idea I propose to this forum is a bad one - when clearly they do work ( @Vidgamer)

1 hour ago, Slick said:

From an operations design perspective, there are way too many points of potential friction to even consider the idea.

To be real I think we all know operations run way too slow for any of the above discussed to be any real issue. You don’t have to run it all the time - just majority of the time when the parks are dead and running one train anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

I’m not sure every idea I propose to this forum is a bad one - when clearly they do work ( @Vidgamer)

But even then, the example @Vidgamer gave was a pop up retail shop out the front of ST, not ride ops selling passes (your idea if you forgot). Pop up retail shop is honestly fine in peak crowds but super super inefficient from a financial perspective for any other time of the year.

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

But even then, the example @Vidgamer gave was a pop up retail shop out the front of ST, not ride ops selling passes (your idea if you forgot). Pop up retail shop is honestly fine in peak crowds but super super inefficient from a financial perspective for any other time of the year.

So you’re just making stuff up now - ok. 

Just a simple paper Wrist band you buy at the shop under the tavern would work no need to overly complicate it when there’s a “simple” way (ok you know what I mean, yes I said simple. but it kinda is, they already use bands anyway) and that would be a good fall back for people who don’t have the app or only have cash on them, and don’t have Apple Pay or don’t know how to set it up (me… I am too analog for this world. I got my year passes all printed out at the park entrance so I have a hard copy to put in my wallet.) just makes sense to have other options to buy the backwards thing imo. But having to pay at the ride queue seems maybe over complicated? For the benefits  

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Kermit The Frog Mad GIFs | Tenor

This made my day

I think $30 is just too much for the experience, it’s too high for an impulse buy so apart from random enthusiasts they will struggle to sell seats. If the row is going out empty on 2 out of every 5 trains they should adjust the pricing. There’s money to be made but not at $30. IMO the spinning car on Tailspin is also overpriced, evidenced by it going out empty most of the time. $10-15 is about right for these upcharges. Rivals had it right early on.

I wonder if VRTP or DW have actually put any time/research into their pricing & how they could get max profits from their gimmick seats, or if they’re both just choosing to play off of the number they conjured up for DCR.

On second thought, it’s not even worth wondering about, the answer’s clearly the second one.

Edited by Tricoart

I know that Tailwhips price actually is to help maintain the spinning seat itself and it’s components (such as having to plug in and charge the seat at night ) - this can be seen with Enso at BPPB charging the same price when converted. However, i doubt turning a seat around really costs that much to maintain especially when DCR originally opened with $10 backwards seats.