Sandy Shores Lagoon Refurbishment at Sea World 2023

themagician

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

On second thoughts.... Where is the outrage? Plain black walls without so much as a vinyl sticker

And it’s not even a nice fence it’s just an ugly temporary one! Shocking. At least this one is black AND white. Haha

22 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

On second thoughts.... Where is the outrage? Plain black walls without so much as a vinyl sticker?

This needs more lynchmob.

I agree - it’s super trashy. Good thing it’s not the very first thing people see on the way in. Hopefully this is all clears out before school holidays in a week or two.

43 minutes ago, Slick said:

Hopefully this is all clears out before school holidays in a week or two.

I hope so too, but it seems like there is quite a bit of work to do. I don’t know the full extent of the works required, but if the piling has to continue the whole way, they aren’t even half done.

At least Dreamworld got there’s sorted before the school holidays!

I still detest this temporary fence system as tacky.

I hope SW adds a conservation message saying that their decision to use re-usable fencing modules is a more sustainable choice, since those fence units can last for years and years and be used from project to project. 😎 

(compared to cutting up, painting plywood etc, only to throw it in the skip at the end)

• Like 4

They are also, as pointed out, temporary. If the fence line needs to move frequently to allow safe passage / adjust guest flow / works move/change, a fence like what DW has wouldn't be appropriate. This is just a possible reason, not the reason. I have no hard feelings against the fences themselves, I hate the concrete feet that stick out and are a tripping hazard in crowds. Oh and the banging noise they make when people hit them or its windy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, themagician said:

Pathway has been rebuilt and a new shade structure has been installed. Since these photos were taken, the path has reopened 

IMG_6889.jpeg

IMG_6890.jpeg

Love the idea but hate the execution. The shade sail poles should be on the other side of the fence or from the grassed area reaching right over the path. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 2:35 PM, Naazon said:

Love the idea but hate the execution. The shade sail poles should be on the other side of the fence or from the grassed area reaching right over the path. 

The fence is as close to the pools as possible so guests can get as close to the dolphins as possible. If these poles were on the poolside of the fence, it would push the fence out. Crowds will move around the poles, and neither will obstruct the walkway (hopefully) which has always been a traffic flow issue through this part of the park.

Cantilevering the shade structure from the other side of the walkway in the grass would require a lot of additional cost, and weight, not to mention it would potentially prevent service vehicles from accessing the area outside of park hours. There aren't many ways to get from one end to the other inside the park as it is.

On 29/07/2023 at 10:32 AM, GoGoBoy said:

So those shade sails are for the dolphins, right?

Unlikely. This area attracts guests who come to look at the dolphins and most of the time, the crowds are in the morning as guests enter the park and make their way back. The southbound journey on that path rarely captures a lot of guests as they've seen it on the way north. So most of your crowd here are around 10am, putting this shade squarely in the right spot to provide some welcome shelter and relief for guests. 

I wonder how long before these shelters are used by vendors during night events though.