Movie World Scheduled Maintenance 2024

themagician

10 minutes ago, New display name said:

Is was already highlighted.  If you read more than one post before you reply, you would know that.

Ah fair, my mistake. I misread it as "showcase an an attraction to do on your "full day out". 

19 minutes ago, New display name said:

Biggest transformation to date.    🤣🤣🤣

Maybe biggest ride closure to date.  I wouldn't currently go to MW, if it was free.

Why must we always look at the negative and just appreciate the park is sharing updates. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, New display name said:

Biggest transformation to date.    🤣🤣🤣

Joke aside, at least they’re finally going to repaint the rest of DCR, and the Superman queue news is interesting, if perhaps sharing too little too soon to excuse some of the issues they’re having.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TBoy said:

About the Superman queue refurb: Why does it have to be now, not during its maintenance period??? You don’t need two periods to do it!

That’s why I believe it’s too little, too soon. I don’t think there’ll actually be any significant change ‘til it’s next maintenance period (at least, if they’re actually planning on changing the queue in a meaningful way & not rushing a BandAid fix), & that they’ve just decided to mention it in passing now to bloat their reasons for rides being down across the park. 

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

Refurbishment of the queueing area doesn't mean a full retheme.

If you're just removing lockers, that can be done behind temporary walls/fencing.

Shuffling the queue rails around wouldn't take much, they're only bolted to the floor. Could all be made off site and installed after hours. 

Add a single rider and fast pass queues through the (I assume, not been for years) unused shop space. All meets at the top of the ramp. Probably do that during the next shut down. 

The return on investment is low (run by investment group remember), so it's not going to be like the change over from Lethal Weapon to Arkham Asylum was. 

On 03/05/2024 at 5:25 PM, TBoy said:

About the Superman queue refurb: Why does it have to be now, not during its maintenance period??? You don’t need two periods to do it!

There's several possible explanations:

1. They had planned to do it earlier during the downtime, but the parts didn't arrive in time
  2. It broke down, and was going to experience a long downtime waiting on parts, so they decided to bring the works forward to avoid a third downtime later when they had planned to do it
  3. Look at your calendar - its 7 weeks until end of financial year. Maybe there's a little extra in the budget someone wants to spend this financial year to benefit the balance sheet or tax returns?
On 03/05/2024 at 6:16 PM, New display name said:

MW site states SM is down because it broke.  I read somewhere MW is just in the planning stage with SM but I can't find where I saw it, so maybe I dreamt it.

You're not dreaming it. Their socials did specifically tell someone that they had an issue with the hydraulic launch system. 

I don't see any room for a reverse launch spike back there, so hopefully it's not too difficult of a fix...

No one is factoring that a significant reason (that VRTP will never tell guests) of many rides being closed is actually due to low staff, and no one wanting to work and be abused by guests while getting paid minimal wage. They’re currently advertising again for another intake of  operators due to obvious extreme turnovers of staff across the board. 

Edited by kujotess
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, STRAWS said:

Movie World have done a big update to their website what are your thoughts on it.

I think the site looks nice. clearly they've put some effort into it. I question some of the colour choices though - there's a lot that doesn't pass accessibility standards and is low contrast though.

1 hour ago, kujotess said:

No one is factoring that a significant reason (that VRTP will never tell guests) of many rides being closed is actually due to low staff, and no one wanting to work and be abused by guests while getting paid minimal wage. They’re currently advertising again for another intake of  operators due to obvious extreme turnovers of staff across the board. 

Because it's not true.

5 minutes ago, New display name said:

Because it's not true.

E851C525-66B5-43C5-B231-2C0D5B44FF0E.thumb.jpeg.a6090e1f55377998023fa853dd420b8c.jpeg

I dunno if staff members are thinking about leaving their jobs, what’s to say that people may have left already?

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kujotess said:

Indicative of a terrible work culture. I've come across many a shitty customer service workplace in my time, including places like Bounce. Some figure out their culture, making you feel supported, valued and leave you with a desire to come back irrespective of the crap you have to deal with. Others stink and make you want to quit.

Minimum wage hospitality/service is always going to have seasonal recruitment drives for casuals (school holidays etc). Thats common sense. If they cant open rides during Winter, which they have before, because of a lack of staff, thats more of an indictment on the state of their workplace culture then any lack of wage or amount of crap they cop from guests.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, New display name said:

Because it's not true.

And your reasoning/source behind this is..? 

I know how easy and common it is for staff to call out of shifts within the company, and what rides are closed first due to staff skillset and moving people around (Kids WB rides close first). It’s also a common reason for ride delays. I’m not saying this is the only reason for ride closures but I was just pointing out that it is definitely one of the reasons. You’ll still have staff telling guests it’s technical issues regardless of staff shortages or not. 

10 hours ago, kujotess said:

And your reasoning/source behind this is..? 

I'd love to know yours.

Just to recap - you said:

1. The lack of staff was a significant reason
  2. The reason why there was a lack of staff is because noone wanted to work and be abused (and paid minimum wage)
  3. That was why they are doing recruitment - due to 'mass turnover'
10 hours ago, kujotess said:

I know how easy and common it is for staff to call out of shifts within the company

Consider the following points:

1. Other than the stalwarts, the workforce skews younger
  2. The younger workforce tends to have other commitments including (tertiary) education
  3. The younger generation also tend to prioritise their own mental health and are more likely to call out if they aren't 'in the game'.
  4. This is actually a good thing as in the past, people have been killed because someone was distracted \ tired \ pre-occupied with other things - it is better to put your hand up and say 'i'm not good enough today'
  5. If you're familiar with Ops, you'll know there are many *social* activities, official and unofficial
  6. Many of those include the consumption of alcohol
  7. It's better to call out sick if you're intoxicated for many many obvious reasons
  8. much of the workforce are not full time
  9. this provides flexibility in both directions, including for staff who wish to stay on the roster while also working elsewhere
  10. The part time and casual employment does increase your turnover, but this is the nature of that style of employment rather than specifically the working conditions
  11. The park does several mass-intakes each year, usually leading into a holiday period
  12. They've actually done this for years
  13. Just because they're advertising for operators, doesn't mean they're desperately low in staff.
  14. The time it takes to train operators means they need to be recruiting well in advance of when they actually need them.

Guests can be a real pain in the ass, but they're also the reason for their employment. You have bad guests, and good guests, and it does tend to skew a little negative, but that is the nature of working in a customer facing role. People who take that very personally don't last in service related work. Those who succeed learn to deal with it and it flows like water of a duck's back. They are the ones who last, who become stalwarts and heroes in the industry, sticking around to train the next generation.

But this is normal. It's been the case for years. It certainly was the case more than 20 years ago when I worked in the industry - so it's not something groundbreakingly new that suddenly explains a 70% shutdown of the park.