Dreamworld Flyer opening, operation, reviews, opinions and other whinging

DaptoFunlandGuy

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Now that it's open, probably worth starting a new thread on the flyer - since there's no more 'construction' to update...

21 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

Presumably the mods will split it off at some point.

So the way Flyer works for Passholders at Night Markets is your pass is scanned at ride entry and you are issued a wristband that allows you to ride for the rest of the night, this same staff member is also selling the single ride tickets.

You lazy bitch.

Wristband system seems relatively easy. If they're going to sit with a pay to play model at night, I wonder if it would be easier to have a code scanner at the entrance - you could purchase online or via a ticket vending machine, and then just scan your code to enter? They had this sort of thing at Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier and it worked pretty well.

I didn't expect that they'd open dodgems as well, but I guess its another step towards night operations, and offering more than just food trucks. keen to see how this pans out.

9 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You lazy bitch.

Wristband system seems relatively easy. If they're going to sit with a pay to play model at night, I wonder if it would be easier to have a code scanner at the entrance - you could purchase online or via a ticket vending machine, and then just scan your code to enter? They had this sort of thing at Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier and it worked pretty well.

I didn't expect that they'd open dodgems as well, but I guess its another step towards night operations, and offering more than just food trucks. keen to see how this pans out.

I would love to see them to open Giant Drop at nighttime for the night views. Even though I'm a annual pass holder already I would be happy to pay extra to ride it at night.

Edited by STRAWS

12 hours ago, STRAWS said:

I would love to see them to open Giant Drop at nighttime for the night views. Even though I'm a annual pass holder already I would be happy to pay extra to ride it at night.

It's definitely a nice view at night - had a few goes on the relaunch night and it was spectacular - although they didn't operate East that night, and I was keen to get that view... 

You can get the experience on night events like happy halloween though - so no need to pay extra as a passholder...

3 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It's definitely a nice view at night

I’d argue it’s an even better view if you sit on the far left seat (west side) or right seat (west side) (I got my east and west correct this time @DaptoFunlandGuy) and if you look towards the south, you get a spectacular night view of the city

4 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

although they didn't operate East that night, and I was keen to get that view... 

To be honest, it’s not that exciting because it’s just the Coomera river, housing and wetlands, so you don’t see much.

I also love GD, but just to bring this back on topic, has anyone actually ridden DWF yet? 

What was your impression? 
What was your impression of it operating with fountains behind the DW globe, and how do the fountains affect that photo opportunity? 
Did you end up with trench-foot from the water splashing into the queue line?
Is it operating with kebab shop lighting and what are your thoughts on the ride?
How is the music?  And the fountains?  Are they synced?
Do the fountains have a single program or multiple programs that run throughout the day?
Are there boxes for loose items - including loose shoes? How long is the sequence and is it too long or not long enough?  How fast are the operations and could they be improved?

13 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

has anyone actually ridden DWF yet? 

On 15/12/2023 at 12:26 AM, Park Addict 93 said:

So it soft opened this afternoon around 2:00pm

Solid ride, cycle approximately 3mins. I was at the front of the que for my second ride and did get a light mist at points but I certainly don’t feel that was an issue.

IMG_3776.jpeg

On 15/12/2023 at 1:29 PM, Vidgamer said:

I went along to the Grand Opening this morning and it was a well run show (as always, Dreamworld events are always well planned). Park opened at 10 but outside it had a sign saying the Flyer would open at 11. 11 rolled around and there were balloons hanging from the fence and Greg Yong came out to make the announcement. Greg strongly insinuated Big Red Boat will be open next week. We got on the first cycle which ran about 11:30 once the festivities were over. At the end the kids got some Lego and a Dreamworld prize (a couple of can coolers). Kids loved the ride, it's great fun, adds a lot of energy to the park and the soundtrack is great, it's a clear winner.

I think we should acknowledge that this was a bold decision, to remove the iconic pond and replace it with a ride that may seem similar to Gingy's Swings but it's going to be a huge success. The finishes are beautiful.

On 18/12/2023 at 9:53 AM, Miloja84 said:

I was at Dreamworld all day yesterday and the water wasn't working at all. Maintenance were in and out all day but no luck. 

I haven't ridden it yet, but to answer some of your questions.

What was your impression of it operating with fountains behind the DW globe, and how do the fountains affect that photo opportunity? 
- They don't impact the photo opportunity in a bad way.

How is the music?  And the fountains?  Are they synced?
- There is several different songs playing. There has been classical and Christmas music.

Do the fountains have a single program or multiple programs that run throughout the day?
- From what I've seen, they have been using one single program for the fountains, but they can certainly run multiple.

Are there boxes for loose items - including loose shoes?
- Yes there is. They are on the floor surrounding the central structure (so the items won't get wet)

How long is the sequence and is it too long or not long enough?
- It goes for 2-3 minutes, which I think is an adequate amount of time.

How fast are the operations and could they be improved?
- From what I've seen, they are efficient. With the riding having a 64 seat capacity, so even if there is a bit of a queue, it moves quickly when loading. But obviously with that many people, it takes time to load/unload and check all the harnesses (There has been two staff checking these).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wikiverse said:

What was your impression? 

Decent ride, like a better Trident (both operationally and as an experience). Great for families, and for the area. Looks good, too.

Did you end up with trench-foot from the water splashing into the queue line?

Wasn’t anywhere close to bad on opening day, only minorly affecting the fast pass queue. Still, shouldn’t be happening, but no one really seemed to care.

Is it operating with kebab shop lighting and what are your thoughts on the ride?

Thoughts above, and

On 15/12/2023 at 7:14 PM, Tricoart said:

IMG_6606.thumb.jpeg.9d9c59c7a22395fc73cda4f5540c861b.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart

Attended Dreamworld the other day for the first time since the flyers walls came down, it just looks amazing! The sight of the globe, the structure, the fountains. It just works and looks soo damn good! BUT, they’ve stuffed up big time. They were blasting cheap, tacky pop music right from the entrance all the way up main st. It just didn’t work. I don’t know where that classic, old timey, disneyland style music went? In my opinion that music was such a warm, welcoming, nostalgic start to the day, and would have worked even better with the flyer now open. But the tacky pop music they were blasting just spoiled that grand entrance reveal. It felt like some local free shopping centre instead of the start to a great theme park day.
We weren’t the only ones to comment. Not sure if this is a permenant decision? But it seems like a silly one. We all jumped online to submit feedback, and lately dreamworld seem pretty interested in feedback, so I’d suggest doing the same if you, like me, prefer some ‘theme’ music in your theme parks. 
Aside from that gripe, the ride was great fun. I get a little motion sick, but did pretty well on this one. It was far more of an experience than your standard swinging chairs. Standing in line was more of a ‘show’ and far from boring with a front row view. Whilst the music in the street has turned to uninspired/ and out of place  pop music, the music on the ride is spot on! Each cycle played a different old timey/theme appropriate song, or similar style Christmas song. Mixed with the fountains, the laughter and chatter amongst riders, it’s a winner in my books. The lighting worked pretty well, I think a more classic golden/yellow/vintage lighting display would look better, but It didn’t feel like the colourful lights were too far out of place. They certainly didn’t take away from the experience.
off ride it’s just as much fun, it ads much needed kinetic energy all the way from central station and up and around to the claw. The large spinning structure along with those water fountains are noticeable from everywhere. Has changed the look and feel of the entire area and it now feels quite alive instead of just a ‘go between’ area. 
I’ve already said it a few times but other than the insane decision to play pop music at the parks entrance/main st, (let’s pray it was a bizzare one off situation) the ride itself has transformed the entrance and start to your day at the park! It feels quality, it looks quality, if they can be rid of the pop music it will sound quality too. 😂

• Like 2
  • Love it! 2

13 hours ago, Sammus77 said:

the insane decision to play pop music at the parks entrance/main st, (let’s pray it was a bizzare one off situation)

What time did you go? Might be due to Night Market set up or just a buzzare one off.

Each time I’ve gone they have the nostalgic/classic/big band music around Main Street and it only becomes pop music once you hit Ocean Parade 

On 20/12/2023 at 2:45 PM, Baconjack said:

Can’t they not build at that height?

I was under the impression that sea world has to build things within a stricter limit (whatever council mandates for the spit)

I recall a while back something was mentioned about the spit height limitation had changed. 

On 20/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, New display name said:

The Trident became a bad idea, the day SW cheaped-out and went a fair model.

Some of the fairground models are alright (like the Zamperla one that is often seen at the major shows). The biggest issue was they went with SBF Visa... not exactly the best manufacturer around.

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I recall a while back something was mentioned about the spit height limitation had changed. 

I believe as part of the proposed light rail extension, anything land that is within x distance of the line does not have a height limitation anymore. And because there’s a proposed route to Sea World, that height limit no longer applies to them (they still of course need approval and can be rejected)

A few years ago, the town plan was rewritten to include a new major theme park zone.  SW, DW & MW all fall within this zoning but there is a couple of individual park differences within the zoning.  Each park can now build a ride all the way to the moon but building heights are still capped.  SW's maximum building height hasn't changed and is still low but the town plan now recognises rides differently to buildings.  

• Like 3

On 21/12/2023 at 5:25 PM, themagician said:

I believe as part of the proposed light rail extension, anything land that is within x distance of the line does not have a height limitation anymore. And because there’s a proposed route to Sea World, that height limit no longer applies to them (they still of course need approval and can be rejected)

There are light rail renewal zones, but its not a blanket x distance = unlimited, that's why for example its not unlimited building heights at Parkwood station.

And it doesn't apply where light rail doesn't exist yet.

When I rode DW Flyer yesterday they played this:

Edited by Gazza

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

There are light rail renewal zones, but its not a blanket x distance = unlimited, that's why for example its not unlimited building heights at Parkwood station.

Ding fries are done.

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

What did you think of it?