Dreamworld Maintenance Schedule 2024

5 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

When you take down attractions for massive overhauls, it highlights the park's capacity constraints and everyone can feel it. 

Dreamworld could feel the loss of Giant Drop while it was closed for refurb (especially having lost so many others permanently in recent years too) - but with Batwing, Superman, Doomsday and Scooby all down simultaneously, we're left with Green Lemon, Wild West Flaws and Dc Rivals to prop up the park for almost two entire months. 

Valid point but having superman go down in March is not a cause of those constraints it’s an effect. It’s an aging ride it needs more downtime but at the same time it needs to be up at every peak, so it’s hard to really make a choice. It doesn’t have to be this way but village have mucked around at movie world and it’s set them back a fair amount of years.

Ideally village would have had a replacement for Arkham online by now to spread around the crowds, but they didn’t do that, they left it standing for 3 years with no activity to speak of. They knew this ride was going to get replaced, it was always time limited after what happened to corkscrew, but there never seemed to be a solid plan. Blame Covid and Atlantis fair enough but a replacement should have been locked in during 2019 realistically. 

Moreover scooby’s renovation seems to me like a very last minute thing - they realised that the ride in its current condition was unsafe and went “oh shit need some new track and trains and brakes” and ordered them hastily, which are yet to arrive at the park and probably aren’t coming for a while because Mack’s backlog is massive.

Then you add poor ride decisions - for one, buying a twin hammer from Intamin whose only other install operated for 10 years and went defunct before you bought it is not a wise choice. Then making s&s put the 4 across trains on lantern - el locos operate reliably throughout the world with the normal trains, while movie world’s one comes within a sliver of killing people and is down constantly.

While we’re there, packing up and moving Surfrider, thinking it was going to be a quick fix solution to those aforementioned capacity woes caused by poor planning, and fucking up at the install is just another thing on a long list of stuff that’s gone wrong.

Edited by Baconjack

13 hours ago, franky said:

RE: the longer downtimes, maybe they've been burnt too many times in the past by unknowns and then had to deal with disappointed guests by blowing past their return-to-service dates? Underpromise/Overdeliver etc.

I've personally argued this point a lot in the past. the pushed back opening dates make it harder to plan for people who visit out of peak periods, so I can't put them down if this is the case for the longer maintenance periods. 

It still doesn't explain taking down so many of their majors in one go, and for the same period. I can only assume Batwing and Superman being down at the same time have to be flash related - but their crossover is minimal, so unsure what the impact could be.

9 hours ago, Baconjack said:

It’s an aging ride it needs more downtime but at the same time it needs to be up at every peak, so it’s hard to really make a choice.

The point isn't one ride, it's four. They've now known for more than a year that Scooby would be offline. So when you're planning your annual maintenance, why do them all at that same time?

10 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Moreover scooby’s renovation seems to me like a very last minute thing - they realised that the ride in its current condition was unsafe and went “oh shit need some new track and trains and brakes” and ordered them hastily, which are yet to arrive at the park and probably aren’t coming for a while because Mack’s backlog is massive.

Yeah by all rumours and accounts it took them by surprise - they'd planned it, but not so soon. Regardless, it's been closed a year now, they've had plenty of time to consider the impacts and instead of trying to shuffle things around they've gone "fuck it, we'll do it all at once, to hell with the guests paying single day prices outside of school holidays!"

poor planning

and 

poor planning

and

poor planning

That's the bottom line.

Back to the threads topic...

DW should really start downtime around the same time Village does. Atleast they take into account other states and that last wind of people avoiding crowds*

*offer excludes events at christmas. Winter is fine.

Sky Voyager is definitely due for its upcoming maintenance, the ride only has 2 out of the 6 carriages working. some work was being done on DF today with it looking like they were focusing on the ride base, it wouldn’t shock me if it’s just a post holiday check up since it’s a new ride.

on another note, The Claw definitely needs a new gondola or seat upgrades. the way the restrain system is set up with the shorter clip in seat belts makes the ride uncomfortable and slightly painful for anyone above 180cm.

32 minutes ago, Rivals said:

on another note, The Claw definitely needs a new gondola or seat upgrades. the way the restrain system is set up with the shorter clip in seat belts makes the ride uncomfortable and slightly painful for anyone above 180cm.

I think it’s more likely that Claw is replaced with something new within 10 years. It’s almost 20 years old and doesn’t have the prestige factor to justify spending money at an upgrade like that (see giant drop), i would imagine that kind of upgrade costs near the amount of a new flat

Edited by Baconjack

17 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

I think it’s more likely that Claw is replaced with something new within 10 years. It’s almost 20 years old and doesn’t have the prestige factor to justify spending money at an upgrade like that (see giant drop), i would imagine that kind of upgrade costs near the amount of a new flat

the ride is very popular so i wouldn’t be shocked if they replaced it with a next gen Intamin gyro, maybe a little bit bigger with the new “lap bar” restraints.

Edited by Rivals

44 minutes ago, Rivals said:

Sky Voyager is definitely due for its upcoming maintenance, the ride only has 2 out of the 6 carriages working.

That might be for cost cutting and nothing to do with maintenance.    After all this time, DW still can't draw enough guest to keep the park open all day during the week.  ☹️

48 minutes ago, New display name said:

That might be for cost cutting and nothing to do with maintenance.    After all this time, DW still can't draw enough guest to keep the park open all day during the week.  ☹️

from what i’ve heard (friend at the park) the ride’s been like this for a week or two now due to technical issues. easier to run the ride at half capacity then keep it closed as a whole i guess.

2 hours ago, New display name said:

Just because Kenny waves at you, doesn't make him your friend.

what are you, 5? yikes

sometimes i forget the people on here are actual adults, that somehow have actual careers.

ANYWAYS!

there looks to be some work going on and around Serpent Slayer as well, with the queue railings and some of the pathway outside of the ride being ripped out during its maintenance period. the area looked pretty wet from the water area in the past so it’s probably just them installing proper water drains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rivals said:

there looks to be some work going on and around Serpent Slayer as well, with the queue railings and some of the pathway outside of the ride being ripped out during its maintenance period. the area looked pretty wet from the water area in the past so it’s probably just them installing proper water drains.

maybe the same could be happening here? 

6 hours ago, Rivals said:

some work was being done on DF today with it looking like they were focusing on the ride base

Edited by Tricoart

13 hours ago, New display name said:

This was my thoughts too, all 6 gondolas were working fine on the 21st of Jan and they have not operated the ride with all gondolas previously in offpeak when they are not really needed.

Sky Voyager running 2 out of the 6 cars isn't the end of the world. Often when it's off peak they will only run the lower level instead of the top level. One of the perks I guess of the ride gondola's being independent is that if one of them faults (depending on the fault) the rest of the ride can still operate. Either way hopefully it's fixed soon

Sky Voyager is not broken.  Only 2 gondolas were operating this morning until about midday, and then all 6 were operating until 5pm.  There was no closure and no maintenance occurring.  The wait time was roughly the same for both.

The park is adjusting the capacity of the ride and the staffing levels to suit the demand throughout the day.

48 minutes ago, themagician said:

It's 'reopening' has been pushed back to the end of April, so I think it's safe to say it won't be operating this season.

Do you think this has something to do with that guy who injured his shoulder cause he let go and hurt himself. The ride has opened since then but it seems to have a lot of down time after that incident. 

On 1/2/2024 at 6:14 PM, New display name said:

They are sort of in a strange position.  They basically need need rides to get people in the gate. But they don't have the people to fill new rides.  

Edited by REGIE

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Not sure if its been posted but it’s obvious why Vintage cars isn't up and running

IIRC it has been posted before

Based on the lack of work, I am guessing they will just end it short and not reopen it, your next ride on the Vintage Cars will most likely be the reimagined ones in Rivertown.

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

With the reopening date already pushed back a couple times and considering there doesn’t appear to be any on site progress towards getting the attraction reopened, it makes me think we won’t see it return

The ride still says it will open on Feb 26, considering they would have to replace the fences, remove the trees etc. its definitely not making it. I reckon Dreamworld should just remove the ride off the ride list and quietly close it permanently TBH

4 hours ago, TBoy said:

quietly close it permanently

Why be quiet about it? If they decide to not proceed with reopening it, just openly say that ‘due to extensive damage the attraction won’t be reopening, but don’t worry, we have an exciting new version of the ride opening in Rivertown later this year.’

The park have been pretty transparent about what’s happening at the park and works across the past 18 months, so I’m sure they would make a statement like this if they decide not to reopen it.