Dreamworld 5 year plan - a challenge

Hi all, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what Dreamworld needs to do to combat WVTP's current dominance. I know a few people are disappointed with the current direction so am keen to hear your thoughts. Specifically, let's look at at least a 5 year plan to change Dreamworld and put it back at number one. I'll post my thoughts soon. Nate

Dump MDMC. Build a small woodie. Dump MDMC. Tell people that Redline has something to do with the GC 500. Dump MDMC. Give the aminals some more popularity, as opposed to just the tigers. Dump MDMC. Return the fountains to normal. Dump MDMC. Actually give Shockwave some themeing and a story. Dump MDMC. Return Vortex Dump MDMC. Bring back characters. Dump MDMC. Utilize the island for something magical or some shit. Dump MDMC. And just make the place feel like a magical bush-style park again. Dump MDMC. and did i also mention that they should Dump MDMC?

Edited by jjuttp

Everything jjuttp said + rebuild the Mine Ride from scratch.... Should have done that from the start instead of leaving it as a space waister... If it was too old/expensive/unsafe to operate, they should have knocked it down, with a clear plan to rebuild it as a simular more modern dark ride wild mouse coaster. Instead Movie World took over as the only place in australia to go for a good dark ride roller coaster! Knock down Eureka Mountain, and rebuild the ride as a smaller Vekoma mine train(call it the same name)... or if cheaper to do so, rebuild it as a more modern dark ride wild mouse coaster(who cares if it would be simular to Scooby, we only have one in australia at the moment, thanks to this stupid decision to close Eureka). The day they closed the Eureka Mountain without giving it a forseeable future, was the day Movie World began to take their title.....

I believe it is a lot cheaper and easier for them to leave Eureka standing. The ride needed to shut down as it was not possible for them to afford repairs as the parts were no longer made by anyone for the model. It would be hard to remove the mountain is integrated with surrounding structures.

Utilize the island for something magical or some shit.

Spoken like a modern day Walt Disney. Stuff it I'll play: Really, I don't think there's any merit to the idea of bringing back rides like Eureka, Vortex, Skylink, or even the 'magical bush feel' (whatever that means). To me that sounds like an expensive way of making Dreamworld like it used to be, but not a great way to take the park into the future. The park should not have a 5 year plan to make it the same as it was in the past. Personally I think what Dreamworld lacks more than anything else is a coherent vision for the what the park should be (I've made the same complaint about SW too) and it’s this I think they should address. If I were in a position of authority of Dreamworld, I’d be looking at what they have and what needs to be replaced/removed. While my opinions will differ from others, my take on the park are as follows: Redefine the ‘lands’ the park. Areas like AWE, Tiger Island and Ocean Parade need little or no work. Seriously, those corners of the park are pretty much fine, and changes there need only be cosmetic, and there are other areas of the park which need a bit of redefining first. Gold-rush is the first area I’d start. I think the land needs a bit of re-defining. I’m not talking about anything overly drastic, just setting in stone what the story for the area is, and for the land to also extend down to Rocky Hollow and Giant Drop. Once it’s been properly established, use the Mountain facade as the station to a new full circut adult coaster which travels around the entire land. I don’t think Motocoaster should have a long term future at the park, and I’d have no problems demolishing it and Wiggles World and everything else in the area to make way for a land with a unified theme along the river. Off the top of my head, a township that sits on the edge of a haunted forest could work a treat. Rides could be a family coaster on the Island going through the trees, a haunted house dark ride taking some of Motocoaster’s footprint, and a new indoor thrill ride with a dark theme. Add to that new facilities, and a new streamlined F&B outlet (replacing the 2 that currently sit right next to each other) with an upstairs bar/function venue and hardware to do a nighttime show on the river during Scream-world or future Halloween events and room left over for a future ride. What to do with Blue Lagoon is harder to decide, but I think most people could agree that a new themed land anchored by at least one swiss designed coaster would be a good brief for the future design team.

I don't think MDMC should be removed. I know there is a lot of hate about it on the forums and it cost a lot to build, but when you think about it and where they placed it, it does go a decent way in keeping family's thrilled. They have 2 family coasters in the park and they've catered for that now and I don't see them building another one. A good chunk of the park is aimed at the youngens(dreamworks, Wiggles World) and it makes perfect sense to me that they added a 2nd one. I'm pritty much in agreeance with joz. Most of the park looks pretty good and they have spent a lot over time filling things in on a small scale. Some of the things in ocean perade could be themed better, but then again that side of the park does work already becuase in the first place there is no real push on a theme so they can(and have) put a few random things in. But yeah they need to do something good with the old mine ride that makes an impact like the old one. They only need one more good ride in that section and it will complete it and after that a BIG focus on thrills and a good coaster around the island. Everything else is set.

Edited by Grantus

But eventually it's going to have to be done, same goes for Sea World and Bermuda(and I realise WV are in fact planning for work to begin on that one, and possibly also the LTRR next year, after finally FINALLY moving on Batman), they just have to one day realise that SBNO space waisters eventually have to be replaced(or refurbished/rebuit as a new ride in the same building) somehow no matter the cost(but obviously as cheap and as classy as possible).

Okay, this is something that has been bugging me on the forums, people bagging out VRTP closing Batman with no replacement. What do you mean by no replacement? The park closed it back in November and by Spring their will be a new ride in their, thats a turn around of less than a year. I know a replacement will eventually come to BT and LT, but they have been closed down longer with no replacement. I don't know the reason for their closure and I'm not going to speculate why they closed down so long before their replacement and left SBNO; and who know what Ardent are doing with Eureka. But please don't bring Batman into, I really don't think that ride applies. I agree with Joz, the park does need to find itself a new direction; I still mind it keeping the Australian theme, although Madagascar and Tiger Island don't fit. I would start with the entrance and that includes both inside and outside the the ticket gates, it would only be cosmetic but I think thats where you need to start as that what sets you up before you've even entered and gotten on a ride. Yes I would return the Fountain and make it something really spectacular, maybe even put something like the Universal sign outside their parks in the fountain but with DW obviously. Next, before I even add new rides I would revisit the lands that are fine and the rides and give them a refresh, much like Disney did to DCA, return theming to rides that left it, mining uniforms back on GD, water back in Wipeout, if feasible, work out some theme with Cyclone and add a second train, those sorts of things. On the topic of uniforms, I know people may not like this, and know QLD summers can be horrible, but I'd really like to see new uniforms for the park, especially ride operators, other than blacks shorts and a polo top; although something like beach type, lifesaver uniforms would work well in Ocean Parade. Mick Doohan, I think is okay as a family ride and thats what they need to market it as, get rid of it from the Big 7 list and give it a massive makeover, although if money was limitless, I would demolish, find another location in the park and build another family roller coaster. Wiggles, personally I couldn't care less if they were there or not, but I still would like to see a second kiddies area, maybe bring back the Kenny the Koala area, put it out near AWE. Gold Rush, with Eureka, something like Gazza once drew up, I just thought that was phenomenal. Keeping on going with the area around the back develop Blue lagoon as either part of Eureka, which I would make Rocky Hollow part of the Gold Rush area as well. Get rid of the old skyway poles and then as we move out that back some new, big exciting coaster added to the park. I'd also like to see another water ride, because in summer, forget about cooling off on their current 2 water rides, the lines are the longest in the park and a water ride that is a real people eater, they've got rapids, log ride, maybe one with a large drop on it to give it a real thrill, if by some magical way it was possible I would love to bring DW's rapid ride into the 21st century by extending it and making it bigger with a drop on it. I would also expand WWW to it full size and then add a hotel and entertainment precinct to DW attaching to the shopping centre, when it eventually gets built <_< , and have something like a city walk at Universal, that way making it a place that when the day finishes at the park you still money with Ardent. You would also have a jump on VR, as they will eventually also do the same with MW, WnW and Outback. I would also extend both DW and WWW trading hours in summer, create a world class parade for the park running during the day and again at night, and have huge show to end the night like the Disney and Universal parks do maybe around the Rivertown area. I would also love to something like a tram/trolley or the like making it way from the entrance plaza to other areas of the park like Ocean Parade. Sigh, if only I was Gina Rinehart and money was no object!! :(

Totally agree with you original. I do wish Ardent would look at these blog posts and get the ideas of people that frequently visit the parks to make it the best it can be. I would love to see some more entertainment, maybe a parade utilizing the affiliation Dreamworld have with Dreamworks. Possibly call it the Dreamworks Jamboree Parade or something. If Dreamworld bring back Kenny the Koala or introduce another protagonist, I don't se why they can't gather ideas from shows such as Fantasmic and build a water, laser and action lagoon show in the river. A Mega-lite coaster from intamin with the right theming or something similar to Verbolten from Busch Gardens would work wonders on the island IMO. Dreamworld should also make an immersive Big Brother experience with the return of the hit show looming. I would definitely fix up Gold Rush, incorporate a scare maze possibly to Buzz Saw similar to Alton Towers, fix up Eureka or build a Vekoma mine train in it's place. Add some more excitement to the raft ride, possibly adding a drop similar to Grizzly River Run in DCA. Or build an entirely new river ride with a big drop and theming similar to WWF. Even a scare maze added to TOT2 would work wonders in Screamworld or Halloween events. Mick Doohan's either needs a re theme or a demolition to build a better dark ride or something along the banks of the river. Ardent need to expand White Water World and do something to actually rival Wet n wild which is clearly an amazing waterpark. An expansion of Dreamworld entirely to build a B&M wingrider would be amazing and would bring the benchmark even higher for MW to follow. Maybe I should send this to them and see what they say :) I would love to keep hearing ideas :P I love reading these types of Forum articles

Spoken like a modern day Walt Disney. Stuff it I'll play: Really, I don't think there's any merit to the idea of bringing back rides like Eureka, Vortex, Skylink, or even the 'magical bush feel' (whatever that means). /snip

Agreed totally. Trying to revive what's dead, gone or otherwise isn't going to help the park succeed in the future, what I think will hit the nail on the head is revising the park's rich history in its core values that made the park the success that it is now. A sense of pride of being "Australia's Disneyland." And to me that's always said "be like the best (Disney, Universal & Busch) and be innovative enough (which is what Aussies do best) to make it work to our budget." And I think that's Movie World's mantra in a nutshell currently, I get a deep sense of pride in the park's Main Street, its employees and even the uniforms - it just all adds up. I think for me the park ultimately should have five zones - Dreamworks, Main Street, Gold Rush County, Rivertown and Ocean Parade. Everything should ultimately be adapted to these zones like djrappa suggested to really make the spaces in the park more immersive. And I think the park would benefit greatly from having a much more dispersed crowd across the park instead of gating people into Ocean Parade so that they can make a few bucks after hours by keeping the rides close together for private functions.

The thing is, has DM done enough tinkering in the last few years to start doing something good(other than Buzzsaw)?

What does DM stand for? Dream Morld? Dream Mould? Dream Movieworld? Dream Motocoaster?????!! :o

to build a better dark ride or something along the banks of the river

Why would you put a big enclosed box in a nice riverfront location? How would people enjoy the views to the river if that was there?

A Mega-lite coaster from intamin with the right theming or something similar to Verbolten from Busch Gardens would work wonders on the island IMO.

Or that nice version Mack do (Storm at Etnaland) etnaland-the-storm-090612a.jpg etnaland-the-storm-090612b.jpg [url=" 111193d1339798426-neu-2013-mega-coaster-"]http://www.coasterfriends.de/forum/attachments/europa-news/111193d1339798426-neu-2013-mega-coaster-etnaland-etnaland-storm-2.jpg[/url]

Hi, I sent the message that I wrote above to Dreamworld, this was their very lengthy reply :) Dear Jacob, Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your suggestions for Dreamworld. Feedback from our guests is both important and appreciated. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests, especially ones like yourself. At Dreamworld we are constantly updating and reviewing our parks rides and attractions in accordance with new technology and developments and also to make sure remain Australia’s Favourite Theme Park. Our new alliance with Dreamworks is still in its infancy, but there are plenty more developments on the way in the near future, with the completion of Po’s Garden due in late 2012. I will pass on your suggestion of a Dreamworks Parade to the planning committee in charge of Dreamworks. Kenny the Koala is still an active member of the Dreamworld family and makes an appearance at the park every day, as does his friend Belinda Brown. Have you heard about our Illuminate Show? Dreamworld’s Illuminate show is a light and laser spectacular set through the main street and utilizing the nearby buildings and main street fountain. The show is synchronized to music and uses lasers, pyrotechnics and a water screen to wow our guests. You can see some photos of the previous show here http://www.dreamworld.com.au/Attractions/Illuminate/. We are thrilled that Big Brother is returning to its home at Dreamworld. We are still planning the new series, so I can’t give away any secrets, but it is sure to be a great series! Jacob, there are many great suggestions in your email. Some of these ideas we have already implemented in the park but there are quite a few that I have passed on to our Planning Committee to consider for future developments of Dreamworld & WhiteWater World. Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us, and we hope to see you at Dreamworld in the future. Kind Regards,

Well done on taking the initiative to write to the park with some great ideas Jacob - something that i often did when i was a kid and teen with the gcs magic mountain when it suddenly closed (never to see the 'grand' refurbishment it promised), later again world expo park and then at 15 mw - my best effort designing an attraction to be called 'batman adventure the ride' - that one got me a job and career that spanned a decade in theme parks and beyond in the tourism industry 20 years later to today.. so you never know where it might take u? I know other regulars on this forum that have and still are following such an exciting career path! Back on topic. I 100% agree with joz and original on what should happen with dws future. The themes or 'lands' need to be condensed to just 5 or so. The park has gone just wrong over the years by adding loose themes and small new lands every time a new ride is added.the exception being the last two which hopefully reflect a positive change. I had a dream once that dw closed for a huge overhaul and the main st area right down to motocoaster and gd took on an emerald city like fantastic fantasy look. Very quirky and like a 'dream'- after all isn't that the parks theme? Wrap a tube with lights and effects around mdmc. Too costly to just remove. Whack a spectacular ghost train dark ride style attraction across the murraysippi-something to truly take on the guys down the road! Oh and hi to all ye park peeps. Thought i better pull my finger out and write something. Been a while, i guess I've been waiting for a decent topic. Nice one nate:)

Haha shux and thanks But (sorry to misunderstand you) i didn't design the bat ride, but u could say there were more than a few coincidences and similarities between my idea and the finishing product. Mine was a rollercoaster that basically started the same way and would prob have cost at least 10mil more+ simulators were huge at the time . All said and done, a job there is all i really wanted. They gave me that and quite a bit more! I met the designers and the silver fox plus got to visit the site as it was being constructed, being one of the first ever to ride, one day supervising it from the tower control room that once sat at the top of the garage overlooking the 6 motion bases

Edited by MickeyD

Perhaps but the whole mountain structure would have to go 1st and be stripped right back to the imax wall. Probably too expensive and only a multi level dark ride could fit in such a small space, or as joz suggested, a station for a whole new ride that could surround the gold rush area? Again prob too expensive, at least for a few years. If only they did that last year instead of buying two meh rides huh? If i was running the dream place, my oh so grand 5 year plan: * move the tigers over to be with the other animals, add a new signature enclosure (maybe some big 5 from Africa and remodelling that entire area as the Dreamworld wildlife experience. Saving the planet would be the overall theme and presentation with all sorts of ecologically friendly touches added. This would become the parks way of competing on a sw level * add a show attraction to connect wiggles/dream works area that is a true competitor to the mw style big shows but a la Cirque de soleil. Something that's visually spectacular, world class and a big hit with people of all ages. A fantasy theme featuring characters from dream works makes sense and with a decent budget, say 10 mil. Given the parks new international partnership, surely they could tap some amazing talent from universal to pull off something truly world class. Read all the way to the end to see how this can be done * next up i would focus on condensing the themes of the park, realing the Claw over into dreamworks land, beachafi the ocean pde some more and overhaul the look and feel of main street to give it a feel of fantasy, thats colorful but not tacky, like a beautiful dream come to life and a fitting 1st act for the park. An all new 4d adventure featuring imax size would wow all ages. This theme would extend down to giant drop making it some crazy professors sky falling machine (think Jules Verne) and a high speed dream maker - another crazy invention that lets people be thrusted into their own Dreamworld (inclose mdmc adding, smoke, mirrors, light,audio -like riding a giant calidiscope!! The parks train would be plussed and feature sneak peaks into new attractions that connect it much as disneylands railway does. Further down would sit a beautiful old steamboat now turned restaurant. The area would blend nicelyold the once wiggles area, now gone and replaced with more dream works stuff for the littlies. Tot would also be rethemed dreamworks too * next up gold rush would be expanded to include the log ride which would be enclosed out back and real effects/animations and be all indoors till the end, adding a fire scene and conveyer launch to give the ride ommph and finale. Meanwhile across the river rumours persist of prospectors discovering an old forgotten homestead. Long since abandoned and reportedly home to gold and ghosts. Lots of ghosts! A drum bridge is built to cross the river for the 1st time ever, luring whoever may dare to enter the place where supernatural forces will do whatever it takes to stop anyone from reaching their treasure! This would be a highly themed scare dark type ride that would thrill using fear and excite the audience with an unprecedented use of fx never before seen on this level by dw! It would encompass the entire island area . Atleast 15 mil+ for this puppy but without question an example of an exciting new direction! In keeping thrillseekers happy, a runaway mine train would once again be added to gold rush but this time featuring indoor, outdoor segments together with a healthy swag of show fx and as joz suggested it would lap the entire area adding kinetics and excitement. The new multi car people eater would start and finish inside an all new mountain, still behind imax before heading east to the river and diving over the river before plumetting down an old mine shaft beside the haunted homestead ride before racing north and again blasted out of a cave near the sawmill beside the log ride and thrusted on to the caves of the rapids, through darkness before flying overhead an old oar bridge reaching back to the new mountain station entry/exit. No loops but a few good lim launches, smooth transitions, drops , G's and a bit of wow show would make this ride an absolute hoot. Again, albeit pricey. The land between blue lagoon and the studios would become legoland Australia and the parks 3rd gate. Yeah i went there. Yeah so maybe im dreaming for a better dw with unrealistic ideas but you know what? This wouldn't be so far fetched if Universal parks and resorts were convinced somehow to take a greater interest by buying it a better future? It would be frankly the only way we would ever see them doing parks here in oz, by taking an existing one and give it a bit of world renowned Universal appeal hehe. I believe only they could help reshape dw with such grandeous. Ardent just needs to Convince them to part with say 100 million bucks to help rebuild in exchange for a 50/50 share. Why not bring along the folks at legoland for the ride too? Ardent would supply the land and existing brand while taking half the Lego profits, half of the new dw (shared with universal) and half with Lego over www. Thoughts people? Yeah I've thought about this maybe a bit too much but just maybe such a spectacular future could oneday become a reality for Dreamworld and indeed if so the face of our Aussie parks? So don't say one day dreamworld, get on the blower to Mr universal and make him an offer he can't refuse!

Edited by MickeyD