2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

From Dreamworld Facebook page:

New Motorsport Attraction

NEW MOTORSPORTS PRECINCT OPENING THIS BOXING DAY (26/12)

A multimillion dollar development, the precinct will feature the world's first Hot Wheels themed rollercoaster - the ‘Hot Wheels SideWinder’, the world’s largest collection of Peter Brock racing cars, six V8 Supercar simulators, The Grid burgers and sports bar and Trackside retail outlet with the latest car racing gear.

One of Dreamworld's Big 9 thrill rides, the Hot Wheels SideWinder is sure to get your heart racing. Sitting in your own Hot Wheels car with music pumped through the headrests, you'll speed through 13-storeys of revved-up fun including a loop and sidewinders. 

Back on track, take an immersive walk through history as you explore Brock's Garage featuring more than 30 replica and authentic Peter Brock cars including some of his most famous rides like the ‘Big Banger’.

When you're all revved up, test your driving skills on the V8 Supercar simulators featuring some of the world's most famous V8 car racing tracks. Race your mates or even the greats to take the Dreamworld racing title.

Need a pit stop? The Grid Burgers & Sports Bar features gourmet burgers, craft beers and modern New York-style bites and sliders. Diners will be seated in an air-conditioned motorsports themed mezzanine café overlooking the vehicles in Brock's Garage. The precinct also doubles as an air conditioned corporate event venue for 250 people seated or 480 standing, with a full working kitchen and bar on-site.

Still got the need for speed? Get your backside Trackside for the latest Hot Wheels merchandise and car racing gear at this new motorsports themed retail outlet.

151126_Sidewinder-Opening-L.thumb.jpg.7a

Oh that's interesting. Maybe we'll see that building be used for a new (better) attraction in the next few years? Like a dark ride!

Or maybe it's just down for the time being and we'll see it back in the school holidays.

I actually prefer the sidewinder name over hot lap, although the inner roller-coaster geek inside me is really screaming at this:

7 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

including a loop and sidewinders

There's only one sidewinder... Do they think the banked turns are sidewinders or something?

And I'm sure the music will be a nice addition... let's hope they have it working 100% of the time.

Another thing that really disappointed me is that by the looks of the logo they're not repainting the track. I think a change from the yellow and blue would be great, sadly it doesn't seem to be happening.

29 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

And I'm sure the music will be a nice addition... let's hope they have it working 100% of the time.

I'm curious as to what the music would be. Would we be hearing some generic stock music? A feed of the music playing in Ocean Parade?

Seeing as how no one else has posted this...

Dreamworld Open Late

This Summer, Dreamworld Is Staying Open Till 9pm!

Sounds, Lights and Lasers 

From 26 December until 17 January, watch the park light up with the NEW BeatBox show. A night time spectacular exploding with lights, lasers, mega DJ mix, sound affects and mind-blowing projections from the creative minds of Peewee Ferris and Ignatius Jones. Enjoy two nightly shows at 7.30pm and 8.30pm. 

Take all your senses on a ride

The thrill rides are staying open, and they’re even scarier after dark!

Opening Boxing Day is the world’s first Hot Wheels themed rollercoaster - the ‘Hot Wheels SideWinder’. Sitting in your own Hot Wheels car with music pumped through the headrests, you’ll speed through 13-storeys of revved-up fun including a loop and sidewinders. 

Get all the happiness, all for one price. 

When you stay late you don’t have to pay more. All valid tickets and passes allow you to enjoy Dreamworld from 10am until 9pm from 26 December until 17 January

Stay for lunch AND Dinner

So many thrills all day will create big appetites at night. Before the BeatBox show, enjoy a gourmet pizza from Dough Bros. Pizzeria, cool down at the Ice Cream Parlour or try the NEW gourmet burgers at Grid Burgers and Sports bar in the new Motorsports Precinct. 

The Grid Burgers & Sports Bar features gourmet burgers, craft beers and modern New York-style bites and sliders.

Get all the happiness, all in one place, all after dark this summer. 

Edited by Zanstabar

2 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

Zombie Evilution has been pulled from Dreamworld's website

It's was taken off around the 27th October... and considering it's not being used during the school terms, (40 weeks this year) it is a little stupid to have it on the site.

3 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

laser tag doesn't belong to a theme park

While I kind of agree with this, It's nice to go into the cool (temperature-wise, not theming) arena on a hot day.

2 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Oh that's interesting. Maybe we'll see that building be used for a new (better) attraction in the next few years? Like a dark ride!

Or maybe it's just down for the time being and we'll see it back in the school holidays.

I messaged DW on facebook regarding it's removal and received: "...it does come on board for Screamworld's and school holidays."

So, it's not gone yet.

2 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

Seeing as how no one else has posted this...

Dreamworld Open Late

This Summer, Dreamworld Is Staying Open Till 9pm!

Sounds, Lights and Lasers 

From 26 December until 17 January, watch the park light up with the NEW BeatBox show. A night time spectacular exploding with lights, lasers, mega DJ mix, sound affects and mind-blowing projections from the creative minds of Peewee Ferris and Ignatius Jones. Enjoy two nightly shows at 7.30pm and 8.30pm. 

Take all your senses on a ride

The thrill rides are staying open, and they’re even scarier after dark!

Opening Boxing Day is the world’s first Hot Wheels themed rollercoaster - the ‘Hot Wheels SideWinder’. Sitting in your own Hot Wheels car with music pumped through the headrests, you’ll speed through 13-storeys of revved-up fun including a loop and sidewinders. 

Get all the happiness, all for one price. 

When you stay late you don’t have to pay more. All valid tickets and passes allow you to enjoy Dreamworld from 10am until 9pm from 26 December until 17 January

Stay for lunch AND Dinner

So many thrills all day will create big appetites at night. Before the BeatBox show, enjoy a gourmet pizza from Dough Bros. Pizzeria, cool down at the Ice Cream Parlour or try the NEW gourmet burgers at Grid Burgers and Sports bar in the new Motorsports Precinct. 

The Grid Burgers & Sports Bar features gourmet burgers, craft beers and modern New York-style bites and sliders.

Get all the happiness, all in one place, all after dark this summer. 

Where is this from??? Couldn't find anything about it on Dreamworld's FB page ?

Went back to Dreamworld today - my main goal was finishing off the rides I didn't get to last week.

First up was wipeout, my first time since the revamp. The ride has definitely improved, not gonna say too much because I'm sure you all know about it.

Then did Tail Spin again. This time I decided to not chicken out as the flips sped up. I also made sure that the harness was more comfortable this time, however it did start to hurt my shoulders as the flips got faster.

Saw a nearly-empty queue for shockwave, so I did that for the first time. It's a good family ride, almost a mini-version of the claw. Few semi-decent moments of airtime. Can understand what people mean with the uncomfortable harness.

Then did Pandamonium. The only other time I did this was when it first opened, and I only did soft-style, so today was my first go at hard-style. The G-Forces really surprised me on this.

Then did ToT. Haven't been on this one for a year or so and I do have a few things to say about it. Firstly, I felt that it was going faster and higher than I remember it went, which was nice to see. I was a bit confused about why the queue ends at the top of the stairs and they don't use the switchbacks in the wedge room any more. I also felt that the wait-time signage had to undergo a big change. Firstly, they need a lot more of them, I could only see one, and this one sign was at the very end of the queue and it said there were 25 minutes left (obviously this must've included the wedge room, but if they're going to not bring people through that way then they need to fix the signs. For another positive note, the air-conditioning was nice... except for this one that was pumping out hot air :( . Oh yeah and the elevator at the end didn't start until another cycle had passed which was really annoying.

I also did the giant drop, and then the claw. The staff on the claw were very nice today. There were a few delays where they had to re-open the harnesses and let Q4U people through, but one of the ride attendants talked to the people waiting while this happened, and I think doing this made all the difference, making the delay less boring.

33 minutes ago, Xexon said:

Am I the only one totally underwhelmed by the prospects of a Peter Brock museum in the park? I think Motorsport is a niche market and not really a big draw card like a new ride. 

The Brock cars are just an extra component to allow DW to retheme cyclone without making it even more out-of-place, at least that's how I see them :P.

Over the past few days what I think DW really needs is a good airtime rollercoaster. Look at their currently coaster lineup - ToT is just a shuttle coaster and the only airtime is floater, cyclone is an old-school arrow coaster, so that's not really expected to have anything, Buzzsaw is full of positive G-Forces but no airtime, and MDMC is pretty much forceless... SE is packed with ejector airtime and that's what makes it so amazing, but DW doesn't have anything along the lines of this. I'd love to see something along the lines of skyrush at hersheypark, but that's probably a bit to ambitious like always. A woodie packed with airtime would also do well.

Edited by Santa07

1 hour ago, Xexon said:

Am I the only one totally underwhelmed by the prospects of a Peter Brock museum in the park? I think Motorsport is a niche market and not really a big draw card like a new ride. 

I've been over the V8SC stats before, but no - Motorsport is not a 'niche' market, and the gold coast is one of the biggest motorsport events of the year (it certainly is as far as the party is concerned!). 

AFAIC, it's a good pick, and will be a big drawcard to the thousands of visitors the coast gets every year who are even remotely interested in the sport. a "racecar" rollercoaster, lots of cool cars, simulators and a motorsport themed food outlet - it's a whole new world for their 'so many worlds' that will work.

Here's a challenge for you - go to any of the parks either during the GC600 or during any busy holiday period... see if you can count just how many guests in the park are wearing V8SC, Ford, Holden, or Racing Team shirts... you'll be surprised.

Wow they are doing everything possible to avoid spending capex on a new coaster, aren't they! This will be the THIRD incarnation of this now 20-year-old and not-particularly-special roller coaster. And I agree with others, I have zero interest in a motorsport museum. Looking forward to seeing what Movie World have planned!

I'm not a fan of motorsports either, so the Brock Museum isn't going to be a drawcard for me. I'll probably check it out once it's opened, but I won't drive me to renew my pass. 

What I am curious to see is the changes made to the Cyclone, and to see whether they've made the ride into something tolerable. 

Probably been covered to some degree already, but it's only just dawned on me how much the Food & Beverage options have improved lately. We're getting a sports bar, which already sounds promising, not to mention Dough Bros and the Green Bean. 

It may sound pathetic, but I'm more excited for the food offerings than these upcoming attractions

That's disappointing that Cyclone seems to not be getting a new coat of paint. DW are kidding themselves keeping the old rusty Cyclone paint (it makes the coaster look like the packaging of Hot Wheels). Sorry if I am not saying Cyclone is crap, but in all honestly its my sentimental favorite. I'm excited to try out the Hot Wheels revamp and see if anything's changed (probably will).

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Well with 1 month to go until opening, there has been no work externally completed on either the ride or queue house/turbine room. Whilst that's not to say work hasn't taken place inside in the loading area, I have never heard any noise coming from that area, nor seen any movement (you can see fairly clearly up into the loading area from the path in WWW. I'm no longer expecting much of a revamp given the time constraints (and given there is still much work to do on the new food Outlet, the museum and the simulators), which is disappointing. I think we'll see no changes except the obvious train upgrade and a new logo.