'World Best' Attraction coming to VRTP

Brad2912

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

If Storm coaster was one of the most expensive to build, I hope this new "world's best" attraction is very cheap!

But seriously, I am finding it difficult to understand why Storm was so expensive. It's basically just a roller coaster, and not a particularly fancy one. 

Theming, theming, theming.

3 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Spot on!  Elaborate, well themed rides are very expensive to demolish.  

I'd suspect that Storm's place on the list is artificially high, because not all parks release how expensive rides are, and you're also dealing with things like the cost of labour in this country, demolishing Bermuda, rerouting the flume, and any issues that may be encountered with building a big heavy ride on sand.  It's really not that surprising to see it cost so much.

Edited by joz

7 hours ago, pushbutton said:

If Storm coaster was one of the most expensive to build, I hope this new "world's best" attraction is very cheap!

But seriously, I am finding it difficult to understand why Storm was so expensive. It's basically just a roller coaster, and not a particularly fancy one. 

It cost a lot to get rid of Bermuda Triangle and also to put in all the theming. The coaster itself didnt cost $22 million, that number is the coaster plus the demolition costs of Bermuda. If Bermuda wasnt built, it would cost something along the lines of Abyss.

After being over in LA, and seeing the theming done at Magic Mountain & Knotts Berry Farm, I would say our theme parks are doing very well! A lot of people don't realise how good our theming actually is, I mean it's no Universal or Disneyland.. But that's a bit harsh to compare them to our parks as their theming is out of this world. 

After riding Xcelerator, even though it being 32km/h faster.. I much prefer Superman because of the theming and storyline. 

I just hope that this 'World Best' attraction doesn't turn out like Green Lanterns theming ??

What are your thoughts? Would you rather less theming with more of a thrilling ride or a lot of theming with less of a thrill?

12 hours ago, Santa07 said:

But what theming? That's kind of my point really. There's hardly any theming to it. You just go up, and then you come down, and you get a bit wet!

4 hours ago, xRazzBerryx said:

After being over in LA, and seeing the theming done at Magic Mountain & Knotts Berry Farm, I would say our theme parks are doing very well! A lot of people don't realise how good our theming actually is, I mean it's no Universal or Disneyland.. But that's a bit harsh to compare them to our parks as their theming is out of this world. 

After riding Xcelerator, even though it being 32km/h faster.. I much prefer Superman because of the theming and storyline. 

I just hope that this 'World Best' attraction doesn't turn out like Green Lanterns theming ??

What are your thoughts? Would you rather less theming with more of a thrilling ride or a lot of theming with less of a thrill?

Green Lantern has theming?

All I've seen is the name and the sign on the front of it.

52 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

But what theming? That's kind of my point really. There's hardly any theming to it. You just go up, and then you come down, and you get a bit wet!

There's a ton of theming on the inside after the drop? At least from what I remember ?

54 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Green Lantern has theming?

All I've seen is the name and the sign on the front of it.

It has a tiny bit in the queue line? ? Yeah they really did let the theming go for that ride haha 

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

I can tell you now, buying a plethora of shipping containers, let alone yachts and cars, aren't cheap. They you have all the interior sets as well, costs of waterproofing certain parts of the building, proper pumps and drainage systems, special effects, lighting and electrical. Pretty much everyone above has all given valid reasons as to why, when totalled together, the ride cost as much as it did.

But are we really having a heated discussion over the budget for the storm? I thought we already had this discussion a little while back...

Edited by Zanstabar

3 minutes ago, xRazzBerryx said:

Back on topic..

My original question was, How much do you think they would be spending on this new 'World Best' ride? My guess is 15-20? Given they don't have to demolish much.. if anything? Where is the likely location anyway?

Seeing how much they've spent on previous "World Class" attractions, I would say anything over 15 million. How far over that number, I have no clue. VRTP going over 20 seems unlikely, but then again, my estimates are rarely on the money...

These days, World Best can be defined many different ways. It can just be a good marketing angle, or it can be something really special. 

You don't need to blow your wad for something to be world best. Kraken is a perfect example - take a standard attraction model, and stretch it further than anyone else ever has - and you have longest, tallest, fastest all wrapped up.

I would like to see VRTP drop a bundle on something really special, but MW has long craved an assortment of well themed flats to round out the park, and in my experience, most movie parks don't do this, as flats are not the best to theme to the movie experience and most people are looking for just that - the movie experience. Even USH and USS are mostly E-ticket attractions, supported by less than a handful of smaller flats.

Although this opinion is likely unpopular - i'd like to see them go with several well done flats to thicken the parks lineup - TailSpin is a good example of the kind of thing they should be looking for (although i'm not suggesting they buy an Air Race - two parks with near identical attractions would be just a waste).

Whilst it's definitely possible that this new attraction will be a flat, i'm confident we'll see a blockbuster... the park is well overdue, and it needs something else to pull people back after the publicity that GL received. I only hope that whatever it is - its a capacity monster. The park cannot suffer another addition without greatly improving either its capacity or its operations.

'Cabins & stuff' are nothing to do with MW, they are for PC (unless you're referring to the hotel proposal currently before council). Why would the coaster be timed to the opening of cabins anyway? Did I miss the research that linked roller coaster fans with a preference to cabin-style accommodation? 

Have a look at the development applications and see what looks to be completed in each stage I guess.

if you think village has the money to outlay the accommodation at paradise country, the new precinct, a new coaster and a new thrill ride all within the same 3-5 year plan, you might be in for a bit of a let down. Those are some pretty big developments to be occurring at once.

we've seen inference of building for a coaster, but any immediate development could simply be first stage tied into changes to the terrain. Guess we will know more when they break ground. If it's within the existing park grounds, might not be for a coaster given the space restrictions. If they start clearing and levelling vast tracks of the swamp and car park, be good idication of something with a larger foot print.

Edited by Levithian

23 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Have you ridden the ride? What do you call that massive building made of shipping containers, with boats, cars, barrels, water jets etc. Theming is the thing that Storm has going for it, I think they did a great job at it.

4 hours ago, Levithian said:

Have a look at the development applications and see what looks to be completed in each stage I guess.

if you think village has the money to outlay the accommodation at paradise country, the new precinct, a new coaster and a new thrill ride all within the same 3-5 year plan, you might be in for a bit of a let down. Those are some pretty big developments to be occurring at once.

we've seen inference of building for a coaster, but any immediate development could simply be first stage tied into changes to the terrain. Guess we will know more when they break ground. If it's within the existing park grounds, might not be for a coaster given the space restrictions. If they start clearing and levelling vast tracks of the swamp and car park, be good idication of something with a larger foot print.

The coaster application came through earlier than the others. The hotel is not a short term prospect (12-24 months) imo. 

I have no doubt we'll see the coaster debut this time next year. We may also have the beginning of the cabins in fruition. 

I'd say the new 'princinct' will be timed for completion by 2018 to capitalise on the Commonwealth Games 

I like the theming on Storm.

I do not like the pointless and gross over-the-shoulder seat belt - which when I rode was already dripping wet and smelling of swimming pool. 

None of the other Mack water coasters have this. And yes, I've heard the party line about Australia having tougher safety standards, but mine fell off on its own mid-ride, which doesn't aid safety in any way :)

4 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

Have you ridden the ride? What do you call that massive building made of shipping containers, with boats, cars, barrels, water jets etc. Theming is the thing that Storm has going for it, I think they did a great job at it.

I've ridden it a couple of times. I accept that it's an alright ride, but I just find it massively disappointing because I know what was there before!

As for the various wreckage, I call it a cheap and easy excuse for theming (again, that's compared to what was there previously).

3 hours ago, Noxegon said:

I do not like the pointless and gross over-the-shoulder seat belt - which when I rode was already dripping wet and smelling of swimming pool. 

If I can recall the last time I rode, I think the over-the-shoulder seat belts are gone now! :)  

Can anyone confirm this or am I just going crazy? ?

I was led to believe the Storm Coaster cost also took into account the value of the existing structure it was built around and through.

Went to Movie World the day before last (and surprisingly Dreamworld too). MW really have some great attractions, just too few of them. If I had to speculate, and they were going to use that dead spot between Intencity and Wild West Falls. I'd speculate maybe a small dive coaster with heavy theming (think Krake) or I would hope for a woodie like Balder, which is very compact and is built inside itself. But only time will tell.

14 hours ago, Noxegon said:

None of the other Mack water coasters have this. And yes, I've heard the party line about Australia having tougher safety standards, but mine fell off on its own mid-ride, which doesn't aid safety in any way :)

It also makes people freak out unnecessarily when it does fall off mid-ride, I've seen it happen more than once.

• Richard locked and unlocked this topic