Dreamworld - no new roller coaster 2017-18?

Jamberoo Fan

8 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

DW still has quality world class rides such as the giant drop and tower of terror, but like what @Slick said these rides are old and are slowly getting overshadowed by MW rides. Thats why when MW get a hyper, DW should go one better ànd get a giga ?☺

Forget Giga.Get a Polar coaster. Worlds tallest and fastest.

7 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Slowly getting overshadowed? Slowly? Really? 

Yes over the last 12 years with the inclusions of superman, green lantern and now the new "world class attraction" 

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

Forget Giga.Get a Polar coaster. Worlds tallest and fastest.

Hahaha DW are already half way there, just continue building on top of the giant drop ?

@Santa07 HELL NO

39 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

I'd say they're quite quickly overshadowing them really. Just look at the additions and changes to both parks overall. 

Yeah i get what your saying! Its just DW hasnt really added anything that is of similar caliber to that of tower of terror and the giant drop since they opened. Haha i mean DW will always have a place in my heart, for taking my theme park and rollercoaster virginity (no homo), and making me discover my love for roller-coasters. Its just they need to up their coaster game!!!

I don't know if anyone knows this, but movieworld did plan a massive 150 metre doomsday attraction back in 2013, before the area had been announced. This proves mw arent scared to go high, but it just seems they haven't cleared enough room for a hyper+ coaster. In saying this, if they were building a hyper, and contradicting with the "8 minute ride time", they could be at the moment doing groundwork for a dark ride component, and then later clear room for the part that for the actual roller coaster. Even a mid course dark ride would be world class. Just sayin

Edited by Aw hype

7 minutes ago, Aw hype said:

I don't know if anyone knows this, but movieworld did plan a massive 150 metre doomsday attraction back in 2013, before the area had been announced. This proves mw arent scared to go high, but it just seems they haven't cleared enough room for a hyper+ coaster. In saying this, if they were building a hyper, and contradicting with the "8 minute ride time", they could be at the moment doing groundwork for a dark ride component, and then later clear room for the part that for the actual roller coaster. Even a mid course dark ride would be world class. Just sayin

Anything is possible! Im sure the designers can work with the area. Just look at skyrush its a completely different shape and style to the traditional  hyper coasters, and its still a boom ride!

23 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Interesting. A few hundred words and it's not written by @AlexB

Can someone cliff note that for me please? 

Haha sorry about that. The main part for you to read is the dot points at the top (the rest is for certain forum members) - I was just giving my reasons as to why I think DW might not be focusing on building high thrill rollercoasters for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

15 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

DW still has quality world class rides such as the giant drop and tower of terror, but like what @Slick said these rides are old and are slowly getting overshadowed by MW rides. Thats why when MW get a hyper, DW should go one better ànd get a giga ?☺

The Giant Drop was still a world record breaking ride only until 2012. It is still only 11 metres off the world record so I would still consider it a very modern theme park ride internationally. DW did revitalise Tower Of Terror in 2010 so you can go backwards - maybe Tower Of Terror II will be deemed old in 2023? Personally, I don't think Giant Drop & Tower Of Terror II are overshadowed by MW's rides.

Also, like I said, I think MW's new rollercoaster is less to do with general industry competition but more for the Gold Coast to meet worldwide theme park standards by the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

6 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Yes over the last 12 years with the inclusions of superman, green lantern and now the new "world class attraction" 

Mick Doohan's Motocoaster (opened 2007) would be a 'family version' of Superman Escape (opened 2005) - MW definitely overshadowed in that regard but remember DW is targeted to families which Motocoaster is designed for.

Buzzsaw (opened 2011) can be considered similar to Green Lantern (opened 2011) due to their steepness and long periods in inversions so I don't think MW overshadowed in this case - they are probably of equal standing despite their obvious differences in design and operation.

And remember, DW's major plans haven't been revealed yet for 2017/2018 (though a rollercoaster is now looking unlikely). We'll have to wait & see what DW has in store for us.

Also, here are some things to consider about the past 12 years:

1. DW has built 5 high thrill rides while MW has built 3.
  2. That's about 1 every 2.4 years (DW) and 1 every 4 years (MW).
  3. DW has not gone longer than 4 years (2007 to 2011) without opening a new high thrill ride while MW has not gone longer than 5 years (2006-2011 & 2011 to the present).
  4. While DW builds high thrill rides frequently, they are targeted to families while MW's are very infrequent in construction but are designed for the biggest of thrillseekers. This gives the illusion that DW is falling behind MW in the thrill level stakes despite the fact that in the end they are both doing good business practice - catering for their target markets.
  5. This might be coincidental but since 2011 when Gold Coast won the Games hosting rights, DW has opened 2 new high thrill rides while MW has opened none. This might be due to strategy for the Games - MW focusing on the 2017 rollercoaster while DW focusing on building multiple flat thrill rides. In the end, we'll have to wait & see.

Note: I defined 'high thrill ride' above as for DW, their 'Big 9 Thrill Rides' and for MW, just Superman Escape, Batwing Spaceshot & Green Lantern

4 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Its just DW hasnt really added anything that is of similar caliber to that of tower of terror and the giant drop since they opened.

Remember, when they opened, they were world record breaking rides. Any ride that breaks a world record would require significant financial investment.

3 hours ago, Aw hype said:

This proves mw arent scared to go high, but it just seems they haven't cleared enough room for a hyper+ coaster. 

Hypercoasters are defined by it's drop height - in this case, between 61 & 91 metres. MW's highest rollercoaster drop is Superman Escape's at 40 metres so it is 21 metres off being classified a 'hypercoaster'. If you compare Superman Escape's footprint with the size of the construction site for MW's new rollercoaster, it is possible to fit a hypercoaster in there - at least the drop is minimum 61 metres high.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

*sigh*

@Jamberoo Fan pretty much understands the situation. Unfortunately, there's someone else who is stubborn and creepy and no matter how much we try to explain to him that there is no 'better' park he's not going to click. And no, I wouldn't say the majority of users here only care about thrill rides - a major proportion of these forums have kids and are happier with a well-rounded theme park experience than a lot of coasters.

8 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Haha sorry about that. The main part for you to read is the dot points at the top (the rest is for certain forum members) - I was just giving my reasons as to why I think DW might not be focusing on building high thrill rollercoasters for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The Giant Drop was still a world record breaking ride only until 2012. It is still only 11 metres off the world record so I would still consider it a very modern theme park ride internationally. DW did revitalise Tower Of Terror in 2010 so you can go backwards - maybe Tower Of Terror II will be deemed old in 2023? Personally, I don't think Giant Drop & Tower Of Terror II are overshadowed by MW's rides.

Also, like I said, I think MW's new rollercoaster is less to do with general industry competition but more for the Gold Coast to meet worldwide theme park standards by the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Mick Doohan's Motocoaster (opened 2007) would be a 'family version' of Superman Escape (opened 2005) - MW definitely overshadowed in that regard but remember DW is targeted to families which Motocoaster is designed for.

Buzzsaw (opened 2011) can be considered similar to Green Lantern (opened 2011) due to their steepness and long periods in inversions so I don't think MW overshadowed in this case - they are probably of equal standing despite their obvious differences in design and operation.

And remember, DW's major plans haven't been revealed yet for 2017/2018 (though a rollercoaster is now looking unlikely). We'll have to wait & see what DW has in store for us.

3. DW has not gone longer than 4 years (2007 to 2011) without opening a new high thrill ride while MW has not gone longer than 5 years (2006-2011 & 2011 to the present).
  4. While DW builds high thrill rides frequently, they are targeted to families while MW's are very infrequent in construction but are designed for the biggest of thrillseekers. This gives the illusion that DW is falling behind MW in the thrill level stakes despite the fact that in the end they are both doing good business practice - catering for their target markets.
  5. This might be coincidental but since 2011 when Gold Coast won the Games hosting rights, DW has opened 2 new high thrill rides while MW has opened none. This might be due to strategy for the Games - MW focusing on the 2017 rollercoaster while DW focusing on building multiple flat thrill rides. In the end, we'll have to wait & see.

Note: I defined 'high thrill ride' above as for DW, their 'Big 9 Thrill Rides' and for MW, just Superman Escape, Batwing Spaceshot & Green Lantern

Remember, when they opened, they were world record breaking rides. Any ride that breaks a world record would require significant financial investment.

Hypercoasters are defined by it's drop height - in this case, between 61 & 91 metres. MW's highest rollercoaster drop is Superman Escape's at 40 metres so it is 21 metres off being classified a 'hypercoaster'. If you compare Superman Escape's footprint with the size of the construction site for MW's new rollercoaster, it is possible to fit a hypercoaster in there - at least the drop is minimum 61 metres high.

You could technically add in doomsday destroyer and arkman asylum to that list! I still prefer quality over quantity 

8 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

You could technically add in doomsday destroyer and arkman asylum to that list! I still prefer quality over quantity 

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

*sigh*

@Jamberoo Fan pretty much understands the situation. Unfortunately, there's someone else who is stubborn and creepy and no matter how much we try to explain to him that there is no 'better' park he's not going to click. And no, I wouldn't say the majority of users here only care about thrill rides - a major proportion of these forums have kids and are happier with a well-rounded theme park experience than a lot of coasters.

HAHA soz mate but i still go to school , so im technically still a kid. Like i said this is my opinion 

On 9/17/2016 at 8:49 PM, Tim Dasco said:

Also remember if it is top secret and only high management know. How would their marketing team know.

Usually you like to give your marketing people a heads up on things so they can start formulating a marketing strategy. You don't do that overnight.

I'll weigh into the debate with my 80 cents.

There has been a lot of discussion here about MW vs. DW. TBH - I don't think that is a fair comparison.

It has been mentioned that DW offers families more - by having animals, and kids areas and such, and this has been pointed out where MW is lacking - but I don't think many of you realise the model VRTP have going.

You cannot compare DW to MW. What you need to do is compare pass to pass. The VIP \ VRTP Membership vs. the World Pass. 

• Both passes get you into all of the relevant company theme park property
  • both offer a waterpark gate
  • both offer high thrills
  • both cater to families
  • both offer various children's branded entertainment and themed areas
  • both have animal experiences

Once you broaden the comparison, those few areas where DW is regarded as 'better' suddenly lose a little shine.

#MyOpinion

My family is currently in the process of planning another trip to the Gold Coast.  For demographic purposes you would have us as;

• Male, 25-35, thrill preference; high, water-park interest; med-high, animal interest; low.
  • Female, 25-35, thrill preference; med-high, water-park interest; med, animal interest; med.
  • Male, 0-3, thrill preference; low, water-park interest; med, animal interest; high.

We will probably spend five nights up there.  It's enough time to do Sea World/Movie World/Wet n Wild if we want to do that.

Pricing

It looks like it will set me back $80/park for the VRTP group, or $100 for all three plus something called Paradise Country(?).  DW on the other hand looks like it will set me back $95, or $99 to push it to a 3 day ticket with access to SkyPoint included if we wanted to do that.

Verdict: VRTP group

Time

Since we will only have five nights timing becomes a factor to think about.  I know that we can get around Dreamworld in a day, most probably including Whitewater World.  That's not so bad - it'll save us some time.  The VRTP parks are pretty-well single-serving (eg; I don't consider Movie World to be a full day park, but doing WnW and Movie World - particularly without a car - in the same day sounds like a recipe for pain), so that's going to eat a bunch more of our time.

Verdict: Dreamworld

Rides

Starting at the thin end of the wedge I'm interested in working out what my little guy is allowed to go on.  He probably comes in on the 90cm mark.  At Sea World he can do; the Carousel, Boots' Banana Boogie, Bikini Bottom Crosstown Express, Patrick's Jellyfish Frenzy, (maybe) SpongeBob's Boating School Blast, (maybe) Donatello's Ninja Flyers, Battle Boats, Sky Fortress (best case 8 rides).  At Movie World he can do; (maybe) Justice League, (maybe) Junior Driving School, {nb: I'm sure there's more here but they aren't listed on the site (best case 2 rides).  At WnW he can do; WnW Junior, Calypso Bay, Wave Pool, Whirlpool Springs (4 areas) which gives us a total of 14 items across 3 parks.  At Dreamworld he can do; Dreamworld Express, Mad Jungle Jam, Log Ride, Vintage Cars, (maybe) Big Red Boat Ride, Big Red Car Ride, (maybe) Tea Cup Ride, Dronkey Flyers, Carousel, ABC Kids World Fun Spot, Maze, Pirate Ship, Art Room (best case 13 rides/areas), and at WWW he can do; Wave Pool, Wiggle Bay (2 areas) for a total of 15 rides/areas.

The stuff that my wife and I haven't done before and is of interest is; Shockwave (?), Wedgie, Little Rippers, Triple Vortex, HWSW (previously did Cyclone), Buzzsaw, Pandamonium, Tail Spin, Storm Coaster, Jet Rescue, Constrictor, Doomday Destroyer, Justice League.

Verdict: Dreamworld has slightly more to do for the little guy, and even better it's in the one park.  For us there's probably more we haven't seen at Dreamworld.

Shows/Animals

Starting at MW there's the yawn-worthy HSD2, which is unlikely to keep the little guy interested (much less mum and dad...).  There's the main street parade that he might like and we would tolerate.  Looney Tunes 4D exists, although I doubt he's doing to be too keen on the glasses.  Doesn't to much for mum and dad, either.  At Sea World things are very different - he might like COTD, would like Polar Bear Shores, would like Seal Harbour, would like Affinity, would like the penguins, and would like the sharks/rays.  He'd probably also be keen on the jet ski show, and the fish detectives show too.  At Dreamworld he will like Tiger Island, like the ABC Kids World stuff, like Corroboree, and like Wiggles World.  With Sea World having to do all of the heavy lifting in this regard the question is does Sea World stand alone well enough to get it over the line?  For us we'd stick with Dreamworld on the basis that it's in one park, the more akin to what the little guy is interested in.

Verdict: Sea World/VRTP.

Which park(s) are we going to go to?  I have a funny feeling it's going to be Dreamworld.  No doubt the wife and I will argue it out a little more.  Have I forgotten something?  Talked about something that doesn't exist?  Got something wrong?  Do tell!

I personally could never decide between VR and DW

Both offer an amazing experience and cater to everyone regardless of whether you are a thrill seeker, animal lover, have a family or just love the atmosphere 

When it comes down to rides you can't really argue between them. They both offer some fantastic rides and some not so fantastic rides. This however is a personal preference. 

The only preferability is the fact at dreamworld you have all the experiences within walking distance, where as with VR you have a distance between the parks.

However this lets them have precise visions for each park where as with dreamworld sometimes it feels a bit messy with theming.

Today, tomorrow, 25 years from now, this debate will never end because in reality it is all down to personal preference. Heck some people may argue Luna Park is better then DW or MW... (Jokes aside aha) 

2 hours ago, webslave said:

Probably OT, but I'm curious - is it any good?

Not too bad...  Good for something a little different (especially since it's now included in the membership)...  A lot of fun going to the shows as an Aussie watching them pick on or play up to the tourists...  Food is pretty good...  Not really something that I would personally go to more than a couple of times if it wasn't for Mr 4yo...  Shows haven't changed since they did the tram transfers from MW however many years ago that was now but I guess that is the plus side to your main income and patronage being tourists :)

Edited by Wyncenuros