DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

12 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Well if they want "World Class", the ride would need something very "phwar ayy" like rubbing a shiny stick in your face.

In which case it needs to be something innovative, SE is World Class with its pre-show (despite not being a "World Class pre-show") right into a top hat. Scooby is WC with it's theming and innovative with the lift and backwards section. Wild West is relatively WC by being one of the worlds only flume rides with a coherent theme you can understand. 

Ideally if we're looking at a WC coaster with traditional layout, then it would need to be big. But if its some degree of compact, it should be something new to at least the GC. At the very least id like something along the lines of Firechaser Express with Mystery Mine being a stretch goal.

Guys, VR have used the term 'Worlds Best' not world class. Nobody official \ important has said world class.

I'd agree Scooby's "firsts" with the lift, reverse drop, ghost train "pre-show" are definitely innovative, and world's best - and scoob is a great ride. It's definitely a world class wild mouse.

Likewise - SE is definitely a world class accelerator for it's preshow and theme - and I know because Robb Alvey said so. :D

As for WWF - I disagree. You have many flumes the world over that shit on WWF. Maybe in it's hey day it was 'up there' (and it should be given the cost to build) - but it is not in the same league as flumes like Splash Mountain (DL\WDW\TDL), Jurassic Park (USH), Dudley Do-Right (IOA), and even Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knotts. If the bar is set at 'coherent theme you can understand' then these all win over WWF.

Which let's face it - West has a great theme, but really - there's no story 'throughout' the ride, so 'coherent' starts to fade. You go into the mountain, you blast out of it backwards, you get wet, there's a train, and a ghost town with a shootout, before you enter the mountain again and have to leave quickly because 'it's gonna blow'. What ties it all together, except that it's western themed?

2 hours ago, Smeg said:

No that's going around the back of the studios near paradise country the news release said

I'd be questioning that news release, I haven't read anything to say it's going specifically near Paradise Country. If anything they have all been saying next to Movie World, including the official VRTP press release:

20160705_073836.png

From: http://www.aspecthuntley.com.au/asxdata/20160623/pdf/01751197.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiXlbL24drNAhULm5QKHZj5CFg4ChAWCBMwAw&sig2=uZMoCFcSLgM2V6GbipapaQ&usg=AFQjCNEQ3BFhJ2Jqc2RXPNppzB0_BMnACg

that is one HELL of a massive footprint.

I'm certain this is going to be coaster location - at least we can rule out it is no compact!

I would say however that TopGolf needs to have a location that is reasonably visible from the highway to attract passers-by - where exactly is uncertain, if not in the currently fenced off area.

Must admit my first thought was this land was for top golf, given the visibility aspect, and the fact that it is announced, whereas #UnnamedCoaster is not - but I've been told the land size isn't big enough for TopGolf to fit.

@AlexB I thought this would always be the new lakeside precinct talked about in the approvals due to it would be easier to turn a swamp into a lake.  I’m still going with that idea but I do believe the new roller coaster will also be in this new lakeside precinct.  The entertainment precinct could be what is getting built at the moment or could be the new golf setup.  I have been waiting on the approval to show up for the new golf building and we have seen nothing yet.  I can only assume that the entertainment precinct is actually the new Top Golf.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

that is one HELL of a massive footprint.

I'm certain this is going to be coaster location - at least we can rule out it is no compact!

I would say however that TopGolf needs to have a location that is reasonably visible from the highway to attract passers-by - where exactly is uncertain, if not in the currently fenced off area.

Must admit my first thought was this land was for top golf, given the visibility aspect, and the fact that it is announced, whereas #UnnamedCoaster is not - but I've been told the land size isn't big enough for TopGolf to fit.

Front to back (Entertainment Drive to the buildings) is 300 metres (give or take)...

If this is for Top Golf... "most recreational golfers - according to Golf Digest - average somewhere around 195-205 yards with their drivers." -
http://golf.about.com/.../begi.../fl/Golf-Club-Distances.htm

So about 182 metres... This leaves a little over 100 metres for parking and structures (If they were to be in front of the range)...

Alternatively the distant from the studios carpark near the tank to the fenceline of MW is 300 metres and then you could fit parking next to it on the road...

Seems the perfect size for this...

Either way... Looking forward to this... Whatever it may be...

9 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I'm not sure turning a swamp into a lake is any easier than turning dry ground into a lake. 

My thoughts are that any precinct would likely be based around a man-made lake, both for aesthetics and viability as a recreational space 

The natural properties of the soil in a swamp would make it easier to contain the water.  You just can't dig a hole in the ground anywhere and hope it will hold water.  If the soil can't hold water then you would have to remove the soil and replace it with soil that will. 

I think it’s also the lowest point of MW.

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I do hope they allow for the fact that that swamp floods - per the pictures we saw of GL a few years ago.

Once you make the swamp deeper I would think it would be able to handle more water and MW might be using it to reduce the flooding under the GL.

3 hours ago, Wyncenuros said:

Front to back (Entertainment Drive to the buildings) is 300 metres (give or take)...

If this is for Top Golf... "most recreational golfers - according to Golf Digest - average somewhere around 195-205 yards with their drivers." -
http://golf.about.com/.../begi.../fl/Golf-Club-Distances.htm

So about 182 metres... This leaves a little over 100 metres for parking and structures (If they were to be in front of the range)...

Alternatively the distant from the studios carpark near the tank to the fenceline of MW is 300 metres and then you could fit parking next to it on the road...

Seems the perfect size for this...

Either way... Looking forward to this... Whatever it may be...

I think you may be onto something there @Wyncenuros - although realistically with WNW, MW and AOS parking - I question whether the venue would need to supply much in the way of additional parking. Its core operations would likely flow into the evening, when only AOS is competing for parking - all of MW's carpark would be available 330+ days of the year.

That would leave the swamp area fenced off open for a coaster.

3 hours ago, skeetafly said:

The natural properties of the soil in a swamp would make it easier to contain the water.  You just can't dig a hole in the ground anywhere and hope it will hold water.  If the soil can't hold water then you would have to remove the soil and replace it with soil that will.

When they first filled the Rivers of america in Disneyland, the water drained into the soil. They then had to line the banks \ riverbed with clay to prevent it happening again.

^not really. Take a look at any of their attractions where they have been duplicated in multiple parks. The first park is always the prototype - mistakes made, lessons learned, and thats why the second and subsequent installations are usually far better received.

Being the biggest (and therefore able to weather any poor impressions better) Florida usually gets the 'first' these days - but most fanboys in the south east complain bitterly when another park gets a 'better version'.

Disney is less about perfection first time, and more about continuous improvement, and always acknowledging a mistake, and both learning from it, and fixing it next time - you only have to look at California Adventure, and the transformation it underwent after the original iteration of the park was so poorly received. 

I know someone has recently come back from the USA who personally feels like the latest version of Soarin' is quite a disappointment. I know others who have been recently who felt that the current World of Color with NPH is terrible - but they will run it, listen to their guests, see what works and what doesn't, and next time they look at changes, they'll implement what they learned. 

Very little at Disney is right from the start - but they can afford to make mistakes and learn from them as they can afford to fix them. Of course - Walt nearly bankrupted the company when he first built Disneyland, and (as ably quoted in Jurassic Park) when Disneyland opened in 1955 - nothing worked. (But the pirates of the carribbean didn't eat the tourists).

I wonder if John Longhurst experienced the same problem with the Murrissippi, or whether the coomera soil was a high clay...?

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz featured and unfeatured this topic
  • joz locked and unlocked this topic
  • joz locked this topic