Movie World - The Next Few Years

Tin Foil Hat

I believe someone mentioned it, but I can't find the post anywhere..

A duelling coaster similar to Battlestar Galactica at USS would be a great fit for the Arkham space. The 'Human' side would make for a good bridge for the younger thrill enthusiasts who aren't quite ready to tackle the bigger thrills of a multi-inversion coaster, and those looking for a thrilling experience can take on the 'Cylon' side. 

Basically, Movieworld would get a brand new, much smoother, launched SLC, and also pick up a new family thrill ride. 

Although incredibly unlikely, the park could reinvent the running theme of DC attractions and go for a 'Fantastic beasts' experience.

But - since this is Movieworld, it could be something like Batman & Robin, or Harley Quinn/Joker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Although incredibly unlikely, the park could reinvent the running theme of DC attractions and go for a 'Fantastic beasts' experience.

It may be a WB film, but I don't think a Fantastic Beasts attraction will be built at MW any time soon given Universal already has the theme park rights to HP locked down, wouldn't be surprised to hear Fantastic Beasts is also tied to Universal in the same way as HP considering it is heavily rumoured for Epic Universe.

• Like 1

I'd like to throw this idea into the mix...

If AA is to be replaced in the near future, why not theme a new coaster on something that would fit really well into an Australian theme park & would be an easy property for Village - Mad Max.

Keep the VR element & incorporate either original film footage or get something new created that is true to the franchise - original film footage could also be used as part of the pre-show.

Not sure what coaster type would be ideal for this (though I do like the RMC Raptor idea) but it would need to be something intense & good theming would be essential so that the ride could be appealing even without the upsell of VR immersion.

Thoughts?

12 hours ago, Baconjack said:

It may be a WB film, but I don't think a Fantastic Beasts attraction will be built at MW any time soon given Universal already has the theme park rights to HP locked down, wouldn't be surprised to hear Fantastic Beasts is also tied to Universal in the same way as HP considering it is heavily rumoured for Epic Universe.

I thought the same, but I think that's why he said:

14 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

But - since this is Movieworld, it could be something like Batman & Robin, or Harley Quinn/Joker. 

4 minutes ago, Vman4103 said:

If AA is to be replaced in the near future, why not theme a new coaster on something that would fit really well into an Australian theme park & would be an easy property for Village - Mad Max.

Thoughts?

I think Mad Max got bandied around as a theme suggestion when DCR was coming, but I feel like it's too niche. Fury road came out in 2015 - so by 2022, that's 7 years old, with the originals in 1979, 1981 and 1985. The irony that an originally 'mel gibson film' themed coaster would be replaced by an originally mel gibson starred film franchise is kinda amusing - but as a theme, i just don't think it fits.

I have no other suggestions. And VRTP would probably just slap another DC character on it - but lets face it - one of the parks biggest characters no longer has a home to call his own - Batman has the whole Gotham area next to scooby, and yet Green Lantern scores a flag carrying attraction, and he backseats into both Arkham and Justice League. I'd love to see Arkham replaced with a batman hero attraction - which would then be easily themed from the Gotham cafe area, through the old chinatown alley, and still sit within the DC "precinct".

25 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I think Mad Max got bandied around as a theme suggestion when DCR was coming, but I feel like it's too niche. Fury road came out in 2015 - so by 2022, that's 7 years old, with the originals in 1979, 1981 and 1985. The irony that an originally 'mel gibson film' themed coaster would be replaced by an originally mel gibson starred film franchise is kinda amusing - but as a theme, i just don't think it fits.

George Miller is very vocal about wanting to film 1-3 more Mad Max movies and is rumored to have written them and even as far as story boarded the next one, and Tom Hardys contract is for 3 more movies but there is issues with the studio or something that is holding it up.

@Flynn_Smith it was me that said a duelling coaster, but the biggest issue with that is the cost. I'm not one for facts on costs but I assume a duelling coaster would cost around the $40-$50million mark. Benefits are, keep an inverted (if they went that path), 2 coasters for the space of 1 and increased park and ride capacity and a good crowd sponge.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

A duelling coaster similar to Battlestar Galactica at USS would be a great fit for the Arkham space. The 'Human' side would make for a good bridge for the younger thrill enthusiasts who aren't quite ready to tackle the bigger thrills of a multi-inversion coaster, and those looking for a thrilling experience can take on the 'Cylon' side. 

Seeing as the spot sits somewhere between DCR and SE i'd put money on it being Superman vs. Batman if they did a dueling coaster.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Levithian said:

You guys are dreaming. If they replace Arkham, a realistic spend would be 10 million. Not 4 to 5 times that. 

Haha. Not gonna be a very good replacement for 10 million!! 

Personally I think it’s going to be a while until we see a new coaster. I imagine Movie World focusing on high capacity family rides and shows for the next little while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

Arkham its self cost 50% more than that, back in 1995. According to the RBA, adjusting with inflation, thats $28million in 2018

But a very different world in which we live today. They just dropped $30+M on DCR. You can't expect that to be dropped on every attraction. I'd be happy with half that.

On 31/10/2019 at 7:52 AM, AlexB said:

I'd love to see Arkham replaced with a batman hero attraction - which would then be easily themed from the Gotham cafe area, through the old chinatown alley, and still sit within the DC "precinct".

You do make a good point here - it would be great to see something along those lines as well.

My main thought behind the Mad Max idea was that I think MW is overdoing it on the DC brand. While iconic & easily marketed, the park isn't called DC World & it further distances the park from what it was originally intended to be.

32 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Yeah i don't get why anyone is still suggesting DC attractions at this point.

Even the biggest DC fan on here should surely be happy with  the number already available.

I don't think it's a case of "we want DC" - i think its more a case that the park has shown a certain 'unoriginality' in theming practically every new attraction to a DC universe related theme.

When was the last 'non-DC' attraction added to Movie World? (Updates to Roxy, and refurbs of existing attractions don't count)

I'd be quite happy with a new, movie-related IP, or similarly engaging non-IP but still movie related tie-in provided it is well done, but I think the fact is, we'd be more likely to get a hero coaster themed to a DC hero, because that's what history has shown us.

5 minutes ago, Gazza said:

But you said "I'd love to see Arkham replaced with a batman hero attraction"....not "I predict Arkham could be replaced with a batman hero attraction"

Read the whole post mate.

On 31/10/2019 at 7:52 AM, AlexB said:

I have no other suggestions. And VRTP would probably just slap another DC character on it - but lets face it - one of the parks biggest characters no longer has a home to call his own - Batman has the whole Gotham area next to scooby, and yet Green Lantern scores a flag carrying attraction, and he backseats into both Arkham and Justice League. I'd love to see Arkham replaced with a batman hero attraction - which would then be easily themed from the Gotham cafe area, through the old chinatown alley, and still sit within the DC "precinct".

So my expression about Arkham being replaced with a batman related attraction was after i'd had no original suggestions, and resigned myself to the fact that the park would probably just insert another DC character - i then continued that thought by saying - if they were to - that i'd love to see them bring Batman back to the forefront.

ETA: they could in theory also keep the queueline and stationhouse mostly intact - and re-use the batman-atop-the-tower theming already there.

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

I don't think it's a case of "we want DC" - i think its more a case that the park has shown a certain 'unoriginality' in theming practically every new attraction to a DC universe related theme.

Six Flags theme everything to DC or Looney Tunes as well, they seem to be doing ok. 😁

The challenge is probably finding brands that will go the distance, Lethal Weapon and Police Academy didn't date well, and Wild Wild West barely made it out of the gate. Look at Motiongate Dubai, bunch of rides with IPs people have either already forgotten about (Green Hornet, Underworld) or probably will have in a few years' time (Hunger Games, Step Up). I'm sure Village look at DC brands and think "well, that's likely to still be popular in 20 years" so it's worth investing in as theming to a ride.

WB Kids area first, then...

I've said it before and will say it again. Add to Wild West. Where the smoking zone/falls splashdown area is, make that the entrance to a western themed ride (RMC Hybrid is my preference) that takes up land currently used by the former Western Show Stage, all the way behind Scooby and also using the land AA currently sits on.

The 'shortcut' from SE to Gotham Hall can be re-themed into whatever, maybe even fully enclosed and used as a showcase walkthough.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1