Movie world Maintenance 2022

Smol bean

Here's a couple of stark examples. 

Unrestrained members of the public, carrying additional weight with back packs, camera equipment limiting points of contact. And while there are infill panels between the stairs of the lift, falling down the lift itself is very high risk and would be a need to be restrained in itself. 

Completely unrestrained, carrying additional weight, using cameras and unable to maintain points of contact; AND extremely high risk posed by the fall from great height with the open track just right there. Only one even remotely safe is the SLC with it's double railings. 

Im not interested in arguing Australia is too safety conscious and the levels of risk aren't that bad, only point out that it is completely different how they deal with personal risk and liability in the US, the culture is entirely different. 

Edited by Levithian

3 hours ago, Levithian said:

No steps/walkway up the lift, just a ladder system

image.png.1b23cee104883c289dab35bca93fd5b5.png

That's a set of steps just to the right of the track. How else do you think they'd evac the train if the lift stalled?

It's obvious the components he's inspecting are inside the cable lift channel and aren't able to be inspected from the steps, which is why he's doing it the way he is. You can't put a walkway inside of the track...

(Here's Green Lantern for comparison...)

image.png.2abd4099f9040826e76814352de217b9.png

2 hours ago, Levithian said:

And while there are infill panels between the stairs of the lift, falling down the lift itself is very high risk and would be a need to be restrained in itself. 

What does this even mean? the entire area has no fall from height risk. The infill panels ensure that. Sure, they can trip and tumble down the stairs and it won't be a pleasant ride to the bottom but it won't kill them. 

I'm all for making things safe, but elimination is not the only solution to risk management.

I agree the US and other jurisdictions don't take it as seriously as we do, but sometimes we do stupid things in the name of safety - like bondage suits on shockwave, perspex roof frames on a log ride... 

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

image.png.1b23cee104883c289dab35bca93fd5b5.png

That's a set of steps just to the right of the track. How else do you think they'd evac the train if the lift stalled?

It's obvious the components he's inspecting are inside the cable lift channel and aren't able to be inspected from the steps, which is why he's doing it the way he is. You can't put a walkway inside of the track...

(Here's Green Lantern for comparison...)

image.png.2abd4099f9040826e76814352de217b9.png

What does this even mean? the entire area has no fall from height risk. The infill panels ensure that. Sure, they can trip and tumble down the stairs and it won't be a pleasant ride to the bottom but it won't kill them. 

I'm all for making things safe, but elimination is not the only solution to risk management.

I agree the US and other jurisdictions don't take it as seriously as we do, but sometimes we do stupid things in the name of safety - like bondage suits on shockwave, perspex roof frames on a log ride... 

There are no stairs. 

He's not inspecting "the cable lift channel", he's inspecting one of the number of seqments that make up the catch car system that connects with the train to pull it up the lift. You can reach them from the bottom.

Regardless of what he is looking at anyway, you completely missed the point of posting the video, where I said it would be completely unacceptable to place workers in that position at all in Australia?

As for green lantern, you can fall through the track and through the gap to the side of the stairs. 

See how they do evacuations from green lantern? they have tethers they place on the guests and walk them down one at a time keeping the guest between them and the railing. 

They aren't walking around unrestrained, carrying back packs and using their cameras. 

And guess what? that's not even acceptable anymore and they are installing spiral stair cases. 

Ahh, yes it easily has the potential to kill. Falling unrestrained down a 30 degree decline from a height of over 30m with nothing to break you fall but the concrete or catwalk at the bottom is easily capable of causing death. 

You've completely missed the point and yet, proven it at the same time. How the hell do you do that?

Edited by Levithian

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

well that does look much safer.

Totally impractical for track inspection - but what else can you do?

https://youtu.be/YjBIG7JXYBk

How about starting by building a set of stairs and viewing platform to check the lift drive from underneath that incorporates a fall protection system consisting of a safety line, fall restraint lanyards that limit the amount of movement away from the railing, and make ANYONE that is on the lift wear a harness? 

Also, a safe motorised platform like that would be perfect for inspecting the lift. One of the first components of risk assessments is removing the risk. You don't have your workers climbing out over the track every day, because sure enough, at some point someone is going to slip. 

People don't seem to realise having a harness and protection system in place is designed to save your life from a fall. It's not designed to prevent you from suffering any injury. You can hit things, get trapped, still fall unconscious, even be hanging from your harness and require rescue (which is actually life threatening in itself). 

8 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They're not falling down 30 metres.

Top 30 Rolling Down Hills GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

You understand how gravity works right? how do people die from falling down vastly smaller stair cases in their house?

Ivana Trump Died of Blunt Force Injuries After Falling Down Stairs - Bloomberg

‘Hard-working’ builder, 21, died after falling down flight of stairs following night out to celebrate pay rise | NationalWorld

Edited by Levithian

Millennium force has an inspection car that runs up beside the lift:

https://www.parkz.com.au/photo/9128-Millennium_Force/gallery/sort/newest/location/millennium-force/offset/29

image.png.02180e2de64e718b3a9019989c20399f.png

As others have said youd still need to get onto the track itself to check equipment mounted on the track.

I think it's just Intamin being Intamin.

The other Giga Intimidator 305 has a staircase 

https://www.parkz.com.au/photo/9889-Intimidator_305/gallery/sort/newest/location/intimidator-305/offset/11

349e123fa867a818c2f4d5b35eef7b30.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They're not falling down 30 metres.

Top 30 Rolling Down Hills GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Not taking sides because I'm not educated enough, but thats a terrible example of 'safely falling 30m'.

No one has been killed to date, but there have been numerous serious injuries 

• In 1982, 4 adults and 4 children were struck by lightning. (this ones unfortunately but made me giggle)

• In 1992, one of the -now grown- children snapped his thighbone in half while tumbling down the hill.

• In 1990, there were 22 casualties-including a 59 year-old grandmother knocked out by a cheese

• In 1993, 15 people were injured, 4 seriously.

• In 1997, according to differing accounts, up to 37 people were injured, including 7 spectators.. It was so bad, that the following year the event was cancelled for safety concerns, but it resumed in 1999.

• In 2006, 25 people were injured at the event. 12 of them were spectators. One of them was hit by one of the cheeses. Only two people were taken to hospital for further treatment.

2007-2012 my source didn't report anything

• In 2012 a number of injuries occurred, including a dislocated shoulder and a dislocated finger

• In 2014 people got "badly injured"

The source starts off with injury summaries but as the event moved from planned to "unofficial", due to over popularity and injury risk, I would say the injuries stopped getting reported as often/clearly.

39 minutes ago, Gazza said:

As others have said youd still need to get onto the track itself to check equipment mounted on the track.

I think it's just Intamin being Intamin.

One of my favourite maintenance cars is the maintenance ball on Silver Bullet.   I like how it has the ability to drive the entire track while keeping the car level to the ground.

@Gazza I have seen the maintenance ball on a few B&M coasters but have you seen it done by any other ride manufacturers?

tumblr_o4kptvWQtL1umtew8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_o4kptvWQtL1umtew8o3_540.jpg

Edited by New display name

10 minutes ago, Naazon said:

thats a terrible example of 'safely falling 30m'.

No one has been killed to date, but there have been numerous serious injuries 

For the record that was my entire point in that example:

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Sure, they can trip and tumble down the stairs and it won't be a pleasant ride to the bottom but it won't kill them. 

36 minutes ago, Levithian said:

One of the first components of risk assessments is removing the risk. You don't have your workers climbing out over the track every day, because sure enough, at some point someone is going to slip. 

People don't seem to realise having a harness and protection system in place is designed to save your life from a fall.

Removing the risk where practical. You say practical because many things are possible but it doesn't mean it should always be done just because it is possible. 

I have trained in Working Safely at Heights for over a decade so my safety conscious side understands where you're coming from but i'm also a realist and "the absolute most safest solution" isn't always practical. A handrail cannot be installed on a train track. Inspections sometimes require access to areas that cannot be made intrinsically safe. The video you provided showed him using a redundant safety line, and he was inspecting items inside the lift rail\channel at a distance of about 8 inches from the track. Heck - maybe he normally does that with the safety car right beside him but they moved it for filming purposes? He's clearly not on his own up there and help would quickly arrive if he were to fall onto his safety lines. 

As for the other videos - i'll give you the following:

• We're all well aware that safety regulations in other countries are less strict than our own
  • One of the videos you tagged was literally titled 'illegal' so I don't think you can point to that as being an accepted standard
  • Ride safety has certainly come a long way and you can see that in newer rides and retrofits to existing rides - Green Lantern's ladder is a perfect example of a practical resolution to a risk that wasn't considered or engineered for even 10 years ago

As for foreign maintenance workers - just like risk management, there are ways to remove, reduce, and control the risk. You're clearly very passionate about maintenance being done properly and I can't fault that at all, but to suggest that all foreign maintenance workers would somehow be yahoos or cowboys when almost every ride in Australia was designed and built by foreign companies who just so happened to write the maintenance manuals followed by Australian engineering and maintenance teams.

It's all academic anyway as it's not actually going to happen like that for reasons already covered.

Unsure why there's so much uninformed talk about unsafe working at heights ... we're talking about bringing in employees from overseas who do this for a living. 

Unrestricted climbing happens ... without handrails... only harnesses.. every single day.. even in Australia!

image.thumb.png.cfe6a58b876e629125c33f0233b10a97.png

Unsure how this is a problem stopping parks here have reasonable close times.

Edited by Dean Barnett
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Popped into MW yesterday, park was probably one of the quieter days I have seen probably due to weather and Brisbane river fire. 
I was disappointed with the amount of rides down but tbh this is just becoming expected at this point. 
Wwf, superman, lantern and JL all down. I was also frustrated on Scooby, with half the effects not working, and is it just me or is Scooby really running its age lately? 
Hopefully WOO will breathe new life into the park, perhaps I have just visited it too much but I feel MW is losing its magic a little. 
On positive notes the park looked pretty good, and the Batman showcase is really amazing, would love to see MW do more showcases like this. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, New display name said:

@Rivals @Dean BarnettIf the front gate informs you what is closed, and you still pay to enter MW, you think MW should compensate people?  If you are unhappy with it, wouldn’t you visit another park or are you one of those people?

i never said compensate, i said the tickets should be discounted for what the current ride offering is.

• Slick locked this topic