Movieworld Trip, 13th October

Ashley

24 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The fact that "other folks" were saying things about it doesn't validate the complaint. Anyone complaining about the single rider queue not moving clearly doesn't understand the intent of the queue. 

I’m not saying that, that validates it. I’m just saying that’s why I mentioned it, as they were saying some things that I did agree with. One of those things were they should put a single rider or 2 on every 1-2 trains, simply to keep the queue moving. Otherwise, the queue will be end up getting too long.

17 minutes ago, New display name said:

I was waiting in Rival's single queue and the staff filled half a train with single riders after about 7 cycles of no single riders getting onto a train.

Well it would seem they already do that then, so there wasn’t much point in me mentioning that in my review.

I’d just recommend they fill 2 seats with single riders, on every train or 2.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Well it would seem they already do that then, so there wasn’t much point in me mentioning that in my review.

I’d just recommend they fill 2 seats with single riders, on every train or 2.

A set-in stone practice of 2 seats every train isn't a good idea.  People will catch on and abuse it. 

• Like 1

One of those things were they should put a single rider or 2 on every 1-2 trains, simply to keep the queue moving. Otherwise, the queue will be end up getting too long.

But stuff sorts itself out. If the single rider queue gets too long, people should just leave it and join the main queue.

There's no real obligation to 'keep it moving' because everyone using it knows full well it's entirely down to the luck of single seats becoming available, and staff don't control that, nor should they.

Did you wait less time than the main queue?

If its 2 seats every train, you're making guests in the regular queue wait longer for no good reason since that's 9% of capacity now gone.

At other parks however the entry host sometimes just closes the SRQ if it gets too full.

Edited by Gazza

52 minutes ago, Ashley said:

simply to keep the queue moving. Otherwise, the queue will be end up getting too long.

Single rider queue moving too slow? Join the main queue. The SRQ doesn't entitle you to a faster moving or shorter queue than the main queue. Both queues too long? Don't ride or come back a day when it is quieter.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

A set-in stone practice of 2 seats every train isn't a good idea.  People will catch on and abuse it. 

Can't say I thought of the possibility of people abusing it, yes, that would defiantly be a problem. What I meant is if no single riders are needed send every 1-2 trains with some single riders. Sorta like they did with you, to me 7 trains with no single riders, is certainly bad luck, but if I was running the ride, I wouldn't have waited 7 trains before sending some single riders.

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

But stuff sorts itself out. If the single rider queue gets too long, people should just leave it and join the main queue.

There's no real obligation to 'keep it moving' because everyone using it knows full well it's entirely down to the luck of single seats becoming available, and staff don't control that, nor should they.

Did you wait less time than the main queue?

If its 2 seats every train, you're making guests in the regular queue wait longer for no good reason since that's 9% of capacity now gone.

"Stuff sorts itself out", ain't the best attitude with a theme park, because that's paramount to say, the Scooby Doo screens are not working all the time, but they'll sort themselves out, they don't cause problems all the time, so they'll sort themselves out. See what I mean?

Yes, I agree people can leave the SRQ, if it's taking too long, but they shouldn't have too. There is an obligation to keep it moving, the job of a ride supervisor is to keep the queue or queues moving, Rivals has 4 queues, one is a priority queue, one is the backwards queue, it speaks for itself, the other is the main queue and finally there is the single rider queue. So, since this ride has a single rider queue, and since the the SRQ was open, the staff do have an obligation to keep it moving. It shouldn't move as quick as a priority line, cause it ain't but it should move at a decent pace, if that means only 1 rider per 2-3 trains that's fine. However, 1 rider per 5-6 trains is a bit of a joke.

I think I waited a little bit longer than the main queue, I do believe I waited about 40mins, the main queue was around 30mins.

Yes, it would mean guests in the regular queue have to wait slightly longer, but they already have to wait longer because there is a priority line, and guests need to understand there are 2 non priority queues, both of which need to move at a steady pace.

59 minutes ago, pin142 said:

Single rider queue moving too slow? Join the main queue. The SRQ doesn't entitle you to a faster moving or shorter queue than the main queue. Both queues too long? Don't ride or come back a day when it is quieter.

Already covered part of your comment with my reply to Gazza, it's nothing personal, haha.

I never said it's meant to go faster than the standard queue, I mentioned that earlier. I simply said that there are 2 non priority queue's they both need to move.

I really don’t think you know what a single rider queue is for @Ashley

The queue is to fill potential openings in the train so they can dispatch full trains, thats it’s only purpose. It’s purpose isn’t to cut peoples wait times in half. The only obligation staff have is to keep the general queue moving, to check and let on backwards riders during their time slot, allow fast track guests to ride as they payed extra for no wait times, and to make sure Virtual Queue’s are being scanned before they’re time slot expires.

If they have to let on say 4 fast tracks, 2 virtual queues and now 2 single riders, that fills 8 out of 20 seats, leaving 12 seats left. Single rider queue is only there for when they need to use it, it’s not an obligation to let those people who know the risks of waiting in that line on.

Single rider queues are a good idea, but Rivals isn't the sort of ride that suits it. You need something that cycles very quickly where there's no time to call single riders from the normal queue to fill a seat, or a ride where the design of it throws up single seats. Scooby would suit a single rider queue, a 4 across B&M would suit one.

The thing about Rivals is that when running good, you get a dispatch every 4 mins. Since you only want to fill in space, and groups of 3 can sit next to each other, the most single seats you should ever have per train is 1. That means 15 people from that queue every hour is the MAX throughput. If you see 15 people waiting in front of you in the single rider queue, minimum that should be an hour wait when ops are really good.

Personally I'd rather see the 4th lane become a front seat queue that you can only access after you've done your time in the normal standby queue, but that's just me.

Stuff sorts itself out", ain't the best attitude with a theme park

Lol what a generalisation.

The maintenance of a ride is different to the operation of a single rider queue.

If the screens aren't working, then that needs deliberate attention by the staff.

If you get a few trains in a row where it's all even numbers, that's not the fault of the park.

It could very easily be a bunch of odds. I've been there when 3 or so singles went on the one train. That was good luck.

Re 4 across B&Ms, curious about the difference?

If you have a party of 3, then they'll want to sit in the same car, so it doesn't really matter if it's 2X2 or 4X1 seating right?

With 4 across, a group of 3 expects to be riding next to each other and they'll return to the front of the queue I'd they can't. With 2 across seating they know they're being split up. Same car is obviously the first preference, but adjacent rows is fine. If it's late in the cycle and there's a group of 3 with 2 seats together and 1 further away, they'll accept splitting up more dramatically in order to get to ride straight away.

This isn't true in 4 across seats, not to the same extent anyway. A 4 across ride like a B&M generally has a lot more people to sort in a similar period of time as Rivals so you can't do pleasing things to fill every seat. Single rider queue makes much more sense there and the single seats come up much more organically.

53 minutes ago, Gazza said:

4X1

See this is another reason I think it would work quite well on Scooby. That and the much quicker cycle times. Single car is pretty much the same thing as a 4 across row.

2 hours ago, Rivals said:

I really don’t think you know what a single rider queue is for @Ashley

The queue is to fill potential openings in the train so they can dispatch full trains, thats it’s only purpose. It’s purpose isn’t to cut peoples wait times in half. The only obligation staff have is to keep the general queue moving, to check and let on backwards riders during their time slot, allow fast track guests to ride as they payed extra for no wait times, and to make sure Virtual Queue’s are being scanned before they’re time slot expires.

If they have to let on say 4 fast tracks, 2 virtual queues and now 2 single riders, that fills 8 out of 20 seats, leaving 12 seats left. Single rider queue is only there for when they need to use it, it’s not an obligation to let those people who know the risks of waiting in that line on.

Oh, I thought that queue was for aliens, of course I know what it’s for.
I have NEVER said that it should cut wait times, read what I’ve said in previous posts.
The obligation of staff is to keep all queues moving in a timely manner, safely operate the ride and safety board and un-board guests from the ride. Among other jobs. So, if there is a SRG, that’s also their obligation. Because it is a queue. 
8 seats taken, 6 seats taken, there could be a group of 3. So, putting single riders on wouldn’t be necessary, if you’d read my previous posts you’d know that.
Here’s the deal single rider queue’s are for people who are alone, and as you said to feel empty spaces, but, after a certain period of time you may need to use some single riders to keep that queue on the move. I said every 1-2 trains, but when I think about it a bit more that’s to much, make it every 3-4 trains, have at least 2 single riders, unless they have had single riders ride.

Several years ago I was at DW going the rapids, the single queue was really full, they loaded almost a full raft of single riders, why, to keep that queue moving. You can’t always wait around for single spaces, as @New display name said after 7 trains of no single riders, they filled half of rivals with single riders. Why, to keep on top of it.

2 hours ago, franky said:Doomsday is closed,

Doomsday is closed 

Nothing abnormal there, my fingers are crossed that it opens up for you.

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

The maintenance of a ride is different to the operation of a single rider queue.

If the screens aren't working, then that needs deliberate attention by the staff.

If you get a few trains in a row where it's all even numbers, that's not the fault of the park.

It could very easily be a bunch of odds. I've been there when 3 or so singles went on the one train. That was good luck.

Yes, it is different, but as you said “stuff sorts itself out”. I might be generalising it, but you said it. I said that it’s paramount to say that, if that’s the excuse you could use that with anything. So, the screens will sort themselves out.

I’m sorry, but I forgot where I said it was the parks fault. It was simply a recommendation I made to the park, I didn’t accuse them of anything.

I’ve seen 3 single riders go, but I’m talking about when no single riders have gone. I mentioned earlier in this post that 1-2 trains is a bit much, so I’m changing my thoughts to everything 3-4 or even 5 trains. So, if you get no single riders over the course of 5 cycles, pair 2 singles together. 
I’m simply suggesting they do what @New display name said happened with him when no single riders had rode for 7 cycles. Turns out they already have a system in place for that, but at the time of me making that recommendation, I didn’t know.

Bu listen folks, I’ll save the trouble of a moderator getting involved and simply say where gonna have to agree to disagree, but how I said I’ve recently learned that they do put single riders through when they haven’t had any for while, so my recommendation was pretty pointless.

To change the subject, wondering if someone can help me.

I mentioned earlier that WWF has a new sound effect on the first lift hill, anyone who has heard it, do you catch what it says?

I’ve cleaned my ears out to try and catch it, but I haven’t had much success, I can only catch “your the police, where have been”.

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Ashley said:

@franky, how was your day?

Did Doomsday reopen for you?

It was alright in the end. Ended up with two rides on Lantern and Superman, one on Rivals and Batwing and caught the 4pm Roxy Cinema show. Doomsday stayed closed but I did suss out someone standing in the OP booth toward the end of the day while we were checking out the Doomsday area, so hopefully tomorrow.

Superman had all effects working (stair water and misters) which was really good to see!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Wrong. 

Hey, Brad, how are you?

You're a bit late to the party, I'm not going to respond anymore, because I've already finished debating this. So, please don't poke me, I'm trying to enjoy my zen and peace.

Lol, not really, just trying to recover from an extremely busy day.

You wouldn't have an answer to my question about the new feature on WWFs would you?

3 minutes ago, franky said:

It was alright in the end. Ended up with two rides on Lantern and Superman, one on Rivals and Batwing and caught the 4pm Roxy Cinema show. Doomsday stayed closed but I did suss out someone standing in the OP booth toward the end of the day while we were checking out the Doomsday area, so hopefully tomorrow.

Superman had all effects working (stair water and misters) which was really good to see!

That's good, glad you had a good time.

I'm sorry to hear that Doomsday didn't open for you, it's not always the most reliable of rides.

Haven't been on SE for a while now, but I do know when I last went on it, all the effects were working, so that defiantly counts for something.

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

To change the subject, wondering if someone can help me.

I mentioned earlier that WWF has a new sound effect on the first lift hill, anyone who has heard it, do you catch what it says?

I’ve cleaned my ears out to try and catch it, but I haven’t had much success, I can only catch “your the police, where have been”.

Thanks.

It’s very hard to hear, but I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be a group of guys claiming they’re “Mountain Police”, to which a second character replies saying “If you’re the police, where are your badges?” No idea why it’s there or how it relates to anything, but I’m quite certain that’s what it says.

Also, not sure who else has noticed but the original lift hill audio that used to play in this section (a very short loop of music about 30 seconds long) has for some reason become the main background music for the entire queue line as well as the splashdown area and constantly plays on repeat. Not sure who’s bright idea that was. Drove me nuts last time I was on the ride. I feel sorry for the staff who have to sit and listen to that all day. Bring back the original 1 hour long music loop with Will Smith any day! 

Edited by Noll_57
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Noll_57 said:

It’s very hard to hear, but I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be a group of guys claiming they’re “Mountain Police”, to which a second character replies saying “If you’re the police, where are your badges?” No idea why it’s there or how it relates to anything, but I’m quite certain that’s what it says.

Also, not sure who else has noticed but the original lift hill audio that used to play in this section (a very short loop of music about 30 seconds long) has for some reason become the main background music for the entire queue line as well as the splashdown area and constantly plays on repeat. Not sure who’s bright idea that was. Drove me nuts last time I was on the ride. I feel sorry for the staff who have to sit and listen to that all day. Bring back the original 1 hour long music loop with Will Smith any day! 

Thanks, @Noll_57, appreciate it.

Yes, I have noticed the background music is quite short, but in all honesty I can’t say it really bothered me.

It's directly from this scene in the film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre":

Why is it there? The two cowboys right before the backwards drop also use (paraphrased) dialogue from the same scene - "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

I guess they thought adding something from the original would give it a bit of continuity?

Edited by Ogre
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, STRAWS said:

@Ogre Do you know what the 2 bandits say before the backwards drop and is it from a movie or park made ?

I have always wondered ? 

I've done WWF literally hunderds of times and I've always had trouble understanding them too! The most I can make out is:

"Badges? We don't need to stinking badges!" "You don't belong here"

I'm going to guess it was custom made for the park, with inspiration from the Treasure of the Sierra Madre scene as I previously mentioned.