Dreamworld announces Wave Swinger, Dreamland (DreamWorks retheme) and new coasters

Ashley Jeffery

1 hour ago, New display name said:

It has never been a better time to be a theme park enthusiast in Australia, then now. Everywhere you look, new attractions recently opened, new attractions under construction & new attractions planned.

Yup, even in places like Victoria new attractions are opening. Best time to be an Australian enthusiast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slick said:

measure twice cut once, and I don't personally see a lot of that in some of these new announcements.

That's a fair opinion to have based on the park's history, but one I must respectfully disagree with. 

I personally see a lot of thought and vision in the announced plans. Ocean Parade is actually going to get some 'ocean' injected back into it, and they've directly included the attractions left orphaned by the loss of Dreamworks by including Panda (because it definitely didn't fit into the dreamland concept they had for the rest of it). 

The Dreamland plans (as has been mentioned already) give cohesiveness to the area, integrates the orphaned wiggles attractions which (absent BRC) no longer support an entire land dedicated to them. 

This, in turn clears the space by the river to return RiverTown in some form and all announced with it. 

Ok, they haven't said what they're doing with MDMC. Cool. Maybe they don't know yet, maybe they're not ready yet. This park got trashed over decades and it isn't going to come back overnight. 

I'll judge these announcements on what is announced and how it turns out, not what they didn't include. Blue Lagoon and BB Studios still sit partially demolished and disused, but I'm not going to assume it'll stay that way forever just because it's not included in the current announcement. 

When Westfield opens a new extension, the older wings tend to look a bit... dated by comparison. But Westfield can't close the entire centre just to make the old area look as good as the new area. It'll go on the list and be slated for a refresh or a repaint at some point in the future when finances allow and depreciation has run its course. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

That's a fair opinion to have based on the park's history, but one I must respectfully disagree with. 

There's a new sheriff in town and from history we can assume wants to work in the theme park world, where previous people in this role, had no real intertest in theme parks.  

DW was previous reactive in the recover instead of being proactive.  Hopefully this is the new proactive DW.  (time will tell) (side note. cancelling the tiger interaction is reactive.  aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh))

Sky Voyager - Only happened after a discussion on a website called Parkz about a flying theatre coming to Brisbane.  Coincidence some would say about a ride bound for Brisbane ends up at DW after a discussion on Parkz.

Steel Taipan -   Coincidence some would say a Mack coaster order cancelled & DW ends up with a new Mack coaster.

Is there a reason why they wouldn't be doing the splash pad in the 'Chill Out' area left by Wipeout's departure?

I would think that would make a great spot for that to bring back Ocean into Ocean Parade, but maybe I'm missing something?
I think once this multi year plan is done, some kind of big splashy water ride in the area would really round it out, and that's PROBABLY far enough since 'you know what' to do a water ride. Yes there would be mental cases that still cry foul, but hopefully they are too busy protesting about trams at the time to notice 😛 

2 minutes ago, New display name said:

There's a new sheriff in town and from history we can assume wants to work in the theme park world, where previous people in this role, had no real intertest in theme parks.  

DW was previous reactive in the recover instead of being proactive.  Hopefully this is the new proactive DW.  (time will tell) (side note. cancelling the tiger interaction is reactive.  aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh))

Sky Voyager - Only happened after a discussion on a website called Parkz about a flying theatre coming to Brisbane.  Coincidence some would say about a ride bound for Brisbane ends up at DW after a discussion on Parkz.

Steel Taipan -   Coincidence some would say a Mack coaster order cancelled & DW ends up with a new Mack coaster.

I think it's safe to say regardless of whatever anyone things about these announced plans, it would be hard to argue that they are not 1000% better than anything idiots in charge previously came up with this past decade. 

• Like 3

You got me!

Seriously though, they're still copping it in the public eye about the $3M that was 'stolen' from the Koalas for Taipan. Can you imagine the feeding frenzy the media would have? "Dreamworld tears out 3 year old attraction after 3M Koala fund was spend on roller coaster just 6 years after killing four"

They don't need to give them more ammunition.

• Like 1

After people mentioned the Phantasialand Flyer, I went and looked it up.

DW definitely need to do this with their flyer if they're adamant about putting it in where the Fountain is.

ga_keyvisual_berlin.thumb.jpg.12c9ee889631bb31d9f14a77257b54b7.jpg

Source: Phantasialand Press Imagery

Although themed like this it could go into Ocean Parade - Trolls Village or Wipeout seem like good spots. 

On 24/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, TBoy said:

I unfortunately think BIP Maze, Gingy's Gliders, PIB Sword Swing and Dronkey Fliers will be retired. The fact most of them will become less popular due to the DreamWorld Flier as well as the decreased room will probably mean some wont make the cut.

Looking back at images, it seems that these will be safe:

• Madagascar Live (Dreamworks theater)
  • Mad Jungle Jam (Belinda's Tree House)
  • Shrek's Ogre-Go-Round
  • Dronkey Fliers
  • Pandanonium (rebranded)
  • Vintage Cars (relocated)

TBH I don't think branding Shrek/Dronkey from Shrek to ABC Kids is a great idea. Shrek appeal to all kids, Banana's In Pyjamas and The Wiggles don't.

52 minutes ago, TBoy said:

Looking back at images, it seems that these will be safe:

• Madagascar Live (Dreamworks theater)
  • Mad Jungle Jam (Belinda's Tree House)
  • Shrek's Ogre-Go-Round
  • Dronkey Fliers
  • Pandanonium (rebranded)
  • Vintage Cars (relocated)

TBH I don't think branding Shrek/Dronkey from Shrek to ABC Kids is a great idea. Shrek appeal to all kids, Banana's In Pyjamas and The Wiggles don't.

Tbh I think a modern toddler has more interest in BiP and Wiggles than Shrek, properties which remain relevant rather than being stooped in their parents nostalgia.  

Dronkeys is being rethemed to Big Red Plane,  and I’m sure the Carosel will get some ABC characters 

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Dronkeys is being rethemed to Big Red Plane

By the looks of the concept art, it looks to be rebranded as Big Red Boat.

I feel like the current Big Red Boat will go as well as Banana's In Pyjamas Fun Maze. Dorothy's Rosy Tea Cup and Play School Wheel replace Gingy's Gliders and Puss In Boot's Sword Swing respectively, and the new Big Red Coaster will replace Escape From Madagascar.

14 minutes ago, TBoy said:

By the looks of the concept art, it looks to be rebranded as Big Red Boat.

I feel like the current Big Red Boat will go as well as Banana's In Pyjamas Fun Maze. Dorothy's Rosy Tea Cup and Play School Wheel replace Gingy's Gliders and Puss In Boot's Sword Swing respectively, and the new Big Red Coaster will replace Escape From Madagascar.

well let’s have a look at the concept as well as the announcements. 

The carousel will be rethemed to banana’s in pyjamas.

9E02A74F-66B9-4639-81B0-2631C29340A6.jpeg.2b522190070d9db7c6b95a9a4991ad55.jpeg

EFMG is being rethemed to Kenny’s Forest Flyer

95466D28-776E-4189-B807-1DB231E4BFC8.thumb.jpeg.9b6d23c95438789361b57baa9a9c8ecb.jpeg

Dronkey Flyer’s is being rethemed to a Wiggles Plane ride.

9E8CCDF2-A7CD-409E-AF48-8B1221B45730.thumb.jpeg.f26ef481354545abe8a53ded6fc0557e.jpeg

The only thing we are unsure of is if Gingy’s Gliders and Puss n Boots are staying or being removed, i’d say one is either being rebranded to ABC Kids or replaced by the ABC Kids wheel, and the other will be removed to make way for the Big Red Boat roller coaster. 

The Fun Maze, Teacups and Big Red Boat in my opinion will all be leaving, they’re older attractions and better off just removing them now as they aren’t that popular.  

Edited by Rivals

So I guess this is happening:

• Madagascar is being rebranded to Kenny + Belinda
  • Shrek is being rebranded to ABC Kids
  • Kung Fu Panda is being rebranded to Ocean Parade

I would say Puss and Boots and Gingy's Glider will be going due to the Dreamworld Flier (no need for 2) and replaced with current ABC Kids attractions.

18 hours ago, rappa said:

Is there a reason why they wouldn't be doing the splash pad in the 'Chill Out' area left by Wipeout's departure?

I would think that would make a great spot for that to bring back Ocean into Ocean Parade, but maybe I'm missing something? 

You may have missed this part:

19 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Ocean Parade is actually going to get some 'ocean' injected back into it, and they've directly included the attractions left orphaned by the loss of Dreamworks by including Panda (because it definitely didn't fit into the dreamland concept they had for the rest of it). 

It's a really good point that a splash pad would have been well suited to the former wipeout site. I can't say whether it was considered or not, but by 'bridging the gap' between the current ocean area and Pandamonium, they can integrate it, which IMO is probably a good enough reason to have put it there. (It also leaves that space for the next big Ocean themed flatride in good time).

18 hours ago, rappa said:

I think it's safe to say regardless of whatever anyone things about these announced plans, it would be hard to argue that they are not 1000% better than anything idiots in charge previously came up with this past decade.

100% rock solid safe bet.

12 hours ago, Whombex said:

Although themed like this it could go into Ocean Parade - Trolls Village or Wipeout seem like good spots. 

"Main Street Needs Kinetics"

"Night Market needs something for the kids to do besides watch a movie" 

8 hours ago, TBoy said:

As the father of a six (almost 7) year old who has spent the best part of the last 5 years primarily in the kids lands at our parks, I can tell you that we are neither wiggles or ABC kids fans (Disney Junior, followed by Paw Patrol primarily), but when it comes to "CAN I GO ON THAT ONE?" He doesn't really care what IP is stickered on the side of the ride - it's the experience he enjoys, not whose cartoon face is painted on the side (side note though - "i'm not sitting in the pink car dad, that's for girls")

Yes, I'm aware this means my son doesn't really care about themeing. Don't worry, i'll teach him. ;)

2 minutes ago, TBoy said:

So I guess this is happening:

• Madagascar is being rebranded to Kenny + Belinda
  • Shrek is being rebranded to ABC Kids
  • Kung Fu Panda is being rebranded to Ocean Parade

I would say Puss and Boots and Gingy's Glider will be going due to the Dreamworld Flier (no need for 2) and replaced with current ABC Kids attractions.

We're on page 5 now - please do take the time to have a read of the last 4 pages where this was all covered quite extensively.

Whether or not Puss and Gingy are going, I don't agree with the sentiment 'no need for 2' - Movie World had Batwing and the Sylvester Pounce n Bounce. Having smaller versions that look less intimidating can sometimes be needed. A swing ride a metre off the ground? cool. That thing rises up several metres and tilts? WaveSwinger1 looks too intense for me.

• Love it! 2

2 hours ago, New display name said:

he was conceived on the Corkscrew.😁

You'd have been closer with Space Mountain (and Corkscrew didn't exist 6 years ago) but do stop stalking me old chap.

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

I mean, technically it’s also an entry from Tiger Island and Dreamland.

^He's right you know.

10 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You'd have been closer with Space Mountain (and Corkscrew didn't exist 6 years ago) but do stop stalking me old chap.

Staking you?  You told us you got married at SW.

the joke went over your head - Imgur

@Reanimated35 asked me once if I wanted to know who you were, and I said, why spoil the dream.😂